John

Default Scart

I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player to a TV which
does not have a Scart socket.

As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess that a DVD
player would not have a RF output.

Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a teenagers bedroom and
the TV is fairly basic / old

--

Regards

John

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Frank

"John" john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote in message
I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player to a TV which
does not have a Scart socket.

As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess that a DVD
player would not have a RF output.

Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a teenagers bedroom

and
the TV is fairly basic / old

--

Regards

John

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

get a rf modulator from Maplin

Philip Gardner

John john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote:
I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player
to a TV which does not have a Scart socket.

As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess
that a DVD player would not have a RF output.

Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a
teenagers bedroom and the TV is fairly basic / old

I have just done this for a friend, going via a video recorder. The
Scart output from the DVD goes to the Scart input of the video, and
the RF output from the video goes to the television. You have to
select EXT2 or AV2 as the input channel for the video. Obviously the
quality isn't as good as having a Scart connection all the way, but
it's adequate.

PhilG

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:14:49 -0000, "John"
john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote:

I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player to a TV which
does not have a Scart socket.

As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess that a DVD
player would not have a RF output.

Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a teenagers bedroom and
the TV is fairly basic / old

DVD players don't have rf outputs.

You lead an RF modulator, like this CVS5 model found here
http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.as...19&dept_id=102

But at £50 +pp then you might be better off getting a good secondhand
tv (or even a small new one?) You'l get a better picture too.

If the tv has phono audio/video in socket, which some TVs without
scarts have, then all you need is a cable with scart plug at one end
and audio/video phone plugs at the other.

MJ
Dave Plowman

In article ,
John john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote:
I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player to a TV which
does not have a Scart socket.

As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess that a DVD
player would not have a RF output.

DVD players don't usually have an RF output, but DVD recorders do. The
SavaCentre nearby has a DVD recorder for under 200 quid, and very good it
is too. Plays all audio formats including MP3 as well.

Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a teenagers bedroom
and the TV is fairly basic / old

If there is no AV input - and many old or basic TVs don't have them, then
the only other option is an RF modulator - you can get them from Maplin,
or from the sheds for use with a security camera - but make sure it takes
sound as well. However, a cheap new TV might just be cheaper with less
hassle.

It could be the TV has an AV input other than a SCART, in which case all
that would be needed is an adaptor cable.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Philip Gardner wrote:
I have just done this for a friend, going via a video recorder. The
Scart output from the DVD goes to the Scart input of the video, and
the RF output from the video goes to the television. You have to
select EXT2 or AV2 as the input channel for the video. Obviously the
quality isn't as good as having a Scart connection all the way, but
it's adequate.

Many VCRs won't accept the line output from a DVD - there is a copy
protection circuit involved. I'm pretty certain this is why a DVD doesn't
have an RF output as standard.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
TOGGY

"John" john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote in message ...
I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player to a TV which
does not have a Scart socket.

As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess that a DVD
player would not have a RF output.

Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a teenagers bedroom and
the TV is fairly basic / old

--

Regards

John

I had a similar problem with my daughters tv/dvd, u can get rf converters try maplins. but the work round i used was to plug the dvd scart into a video recorder and use the video's rf output to view the dvd.

hope this works

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Christian McArdle

As others have said, some VCRs can be used to take the SCART input
in and then play onto the TV via RF (as mine does (Hitachi))

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there
is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

Christian.

Chris Hodges

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Philip Gardner wrote:

I have just done this for a friend, going via a video recorder. The
Scart output from the DVD goes to the Scart input of the video, and
the RF output from the video goes to the television. You have to
select EXT2 or AV2 as the input channel for the video. Obviously the
quality isn't as good as having a Scart connection all the way, but
it's adequate.

Many VCRs won't accept the line output from a DVD - there is a copy
protection circuit involved. I'm pretty certain this is why a DVD doesn't
have an RF output as standard.

This is one of the reasons why I bought a new VCR while the old one
still (partly) works) - DVDs hadn't been brought out when it was built.

--
Chris
-----

geoff

In message , Philip Gardner
writes
John john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote:
I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player
to a TV which does not have a Scart socket.

As I don't have a DVD player I haven't a clue. I would guess
that a DVD player would not have a RF output.

Can anyone help? I think it is a Xmas gift idea for a
teenagers bedroom and the TV is fairly basic / old

I have just done this for a friend, going via a video recorder. The
Scart output from the DVD goes to the Scart input of the video, and
the RF output from the video goes to the television. You have to
select EXT2 or AV2 as the input channel for the video. Obviously the
quality isn't as good as having a Scart connection all the way, but
it's adequate.

Not if the macrovision (?) anti copy function is working
--
geoff
geoff

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
As others have said, some VCRs can be used to take the SCART input
in and then play onto the TV via RF (as mine does (Hitachi))

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there
is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

Unless, of course, you buy a picture "enhancer"
--
geoff
John Rumm

Witchy wrote:

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there
is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

What signals does the video give to the DVD player to tell it its
there? Our little one's DVD player (don't ask is SCARTed to her

The video does not "tell" the DVD player it is there as such. The DVD
player will usually add Macrovision protection to its output video
signal when instructed to do so by a copy protected disc (i.e. most of
them).

[anorak mode]

The Macrovision signal consists of a series of vertical bright white
bars placed in the video signal during the vertical retrace period
(normally the video signal during this time would be clamped to the
black level). The result is that the AGC circuit in the VCR will wind
down the gain level in response to the white bars - This has the effect
of attenuating the vertical sync level as well. The result is picture
instability / rolling and flashing brightness levels since the black
level sampling will be messed up along with the frame/field sync.

The solution is either a knobbled DVD player that can ignore the request
to inject Macrovision, or an external box to strip the signal. Some
modern VCRs also include a Time Base Corrector on their input circuits
(designed to regenerate syncs when performing repeated dubbing
operations). These will also strip anything else floating about during
the sync pulses that you would rather not have.

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Holmes

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message .net...
As others have said, some VCRs can be used to take the SCART input
in and then play onto the TV via RF (as mine does (Hitachi))

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there
is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

Not with my Hitachi it doesn't. The macrovision (Copy protection) is
still there, and you can't record, but playback is fine.
Simon Avery

"John" john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote:

Hello John

J| I have been asked if it is possible to connect a DVD Player
J| to a TV which does not have a Scart socket.

Not directly (at least, not mine - more expensive ones may have a coax
out) - but if you've got a VCR, or possibly even a skybox or maybe a
scart - Coax adapter (they exist?) then yes, you can plug it into
that and then through the TV.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:
You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if
there is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

Not with my Hitachi it doesn't. The macrovision (Copy protection) is
still there, and you can't record, but playback is fine.

That's strange, as the copy protection works on the VHS circuitry, rather
than just in record. I've tried it with several makes, and they all do it.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
dmc

In article ,
Simon Avery wrote:

Not directly (at least, not mine - more expensive ones may have a coax
out) - but if you've got a VCR, or possibly even a skybox

Skybox is a good option if you have one. I have a DVD player connected to
the VCR socket on my skybox and use the RF2 output to distribute via coax
to a portable in the conservatory. Works very well. Of course, if you have
a VCR on your Skybox already then there maybe nowhere to plug the DVD
player...

Darren

Witchy

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:10:47 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

As others have said, some VCRs can be used to take the SCART input
in and then play onto the TV via RF (as mine does (Hitachi))

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there
is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

What signals does the video give to the DVD player to tell it its
there? Our little one's DVD player (don't ask is SCARTed to her
v.old Amscrap twin-deck video then RF'd to the old telly - lovely
picture out of it too.
--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs
geoff

In message , Chris
Holmes writes
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message .net...
As others have said, some VCRs can be used to take the SCART input
in and then play onto the TV via RF (as mine does (Hitachi))

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there
is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

Not with my Hitachi it doesn't. The macrovision (Copy protection) is
still there, and you can't record, but playback is fine.

Not true with mine (Phillips)

--
geoff
Witchy

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:07:18 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Witchy wrote:

You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if there
is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

What signals does the video give to the DVD player to tell it its
there? Our little one's DVD player (don't ask is SCARTed to her

The video does not "tell" the DVD player it is there as such. The DVD
player will usually add Macrovision protection to its output video
signal when instructed to do so by a copy protected disc (i.e. most of
them).

Ah, right. I was reading the original message arse-about-face and
thinking that somehow the DVD player detected the presence of the
video, not that the player was adding copy protection because the disc
was asking it to!

Note to self: pay more attention after a day's DIY-ing
--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Andrew

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:
You have to choose the DVD player wisely. Not all can have the copy
protection disabled. The copy protection will prevent you watching if
there is a video recorder in the loop, even if it isn't recording.

Not with my Hitachi it doesn't. The macrovision (Copy protection) is
still there, and you can't record, but playback is fine.

That's strange, as the copy protection works on the VHS circuitry, rather
than just in record. I've tried it with several makes, and they all do it.

Mine's OK too. I bought a DVD and the only free SCART was an a/v input
to the video. I can play back DVDs through the RF output of the video
with no problem.

I also have a freeview box with two SCARTs, one to the TV and one to
the other a/v input of the video. I have now discovered that if the
video and the freeview box are turned off (actually standby mode) the
SCART output of the DVD is looped through the video and freeview box
to the SCART input of the TV even though it's going the "wrong" way
between the video and the freeview box. I didn't know you could do
this.

Andrew
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
I also have a freeview box with two SCARTs, one to the TV and one to
the other a/v input of the video. I have now discovered that if the
video and the freeview box are turned off (actually standby mode) the
SCART output of the DVD is looped through the video and freeview box
to the SCART input of the TV even though it's going the "wrong" way
between the video and the freeview box. I didn't know you could do
this.

A Scart is both in and out for composite video and stereo audio. It's only
if you go to RGB or S-Video that it becomes an in *or* out for video.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn