Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Recommendations for laser measurer requested

I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

Thanks.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

Sounds like the usual Bosch green vs blue rule.

What do people recommend?

I have the Bosch DLE40, bought second-hand, find it gives accurate,
repeatable measurements.

I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room.

I've only used length measurement, never the area or volume features,
the summing feature has been vaguely handy once or twice (e.g measuring
total coving required round an irregular room).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2016 08:51:08 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

MM wrote:

I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

Sounds like the usual Bosch green vs blue rule.

snip

Pun unintended Andy? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Sounds like the usual Bosch green vs blue rule.

Pun unintended Andy? ;-)

Heh, not before coffee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

MM wrote:

I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

Sounds like the usual Bosch green vs blue rule.

What do people recommend?

I have the Bosch DLE40, bought second-hand, find it gives accurate,
repeatable measurements.

That is listed on Amazon as a Bosch DLE 40 Professional Laser
Rangefinder. Whereas the Bosch *GLM* 40 is described as a Digital
Laser Measure, which is I believe what I need. What's the difference
between rangefinder and measure?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

That is listed on Amazon as a Bosch DLE 40 Professional Laser
Rangefinder. Whereas the Bosch *GLM* 40 is described as a Digital
Laser Measure, which is I believe what I need. What's the difference
between rangefinder and measure?

Dunno why Amazon call it a rangefinder, but Bosch call it a measure.

http://www.bosch-pt.com.ph/ph/en/laser-measure-dle-40-131500-0601016370.html

It uses a spot beam so you can see what you're measuring and I've seen a
teardown of it that demonstrates that it uses phase modulation of the
reflected beam to do the measuring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2016 08:32, MM wrote:
I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

Thanks.

I asked a similar question recently. And ended up with the GLM 50 C.
Much more expensive. But it includes an inclinometer, has better range,
and links via Bluetooth to an Android or IOS device. Despite starting
out with the same basic requirement as you.

Bought from Campbell Miller Tools Ltd in Glasgow (who have a shop front
on Amazon but were a touch cheaper directly).

My decision was based on many factors, not least the relatively poor
reviews of many of the cheaper devices. (Lots of the reviews of the very
cheap end products admit they were written after being supplied with
free product. And I suspect many more are not quite what they claim to
be.) Also realised that a second-hand PLR 15 isn't going to be worth
anything - so got a more up-range model and there is an outside
possibility of selling it on when my main project is complete.

Have not yet started the project I bought it for, so have only played
around with it so far. Seems to work well. That laser is *** bright ***!

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2016 08:32, MM wrote:
I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica... be prepared to
fork out 200 for it though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 22/05/16 19:13, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/05/2016 08:32, MM wrote:
I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica... be prepared to
fork out £200 for it though.

you can get a Leica for nearer £100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leica-DISTO.../dp/B001AOUQXG

--
djc

(̿Ĺ̯̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2016 08:32, MM wrote:
I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica... be prepared to
fork out £200 for it though.

you can get a Leica for nearer £100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leica-DISTO.../dp/B001AOUQXG

Oh dear, now I shall have to get one.

What's the current thinking on laser *levels*? I have an ancient cheap
one, but the mechanics is beginning to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2016 08:32, MM wrote:
I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica... be prepared to
fork out £200 for it though.

you can get a Leica for nearer £100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leica-DISTO.../dp/B001AOUQXG

Oh dear, now I shall have to get one.

What's the current thinking on laser *levels*? I have an ancient cheap
one, but the mechanics is beginning to go.

But is that Leica any better than my Bosch GLM 50 C? I already have a
level function in that (albeit not the full facilities available in some
levels).

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On 22/05/2016 08:32, MM wrote:
I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica... be prepared to
fork out 200 for it though.

you can get a Leica for nearer 100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leica-DISTO.../dp/B001AOUQXG

Only 86.79 actually, including free delivery. I must say, this
product really seems the business. It's more expensive than other
distance measures, but one mark of quality, for me, is: how quickly
can I locate the User Guide and how detailed is it? Well, I found the
UG for this instantly and it is written in good English and very
detailed. Sounds like a company that wants to provide good service and
not just take your money.

NB: Yesterday in B&Q I saw that they were selling the Bosch PLR 15
for... wait for it! 50!! B&Q have the nerve to charge one penny MORE
than the RRP!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/16 22:14, newshound wrote:

Oh dear, now I shall have to get one.

What's the current thinking on laser *levels*? I have an ancient cheap
one, but the mechanics is beginning to go.

Stanley do some nice ones at modest prices - with crosshair lines, self
levelling and lockable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2016 08:32, MM wrote:
I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica... be
prepared to
fork out £200 for it though.

you can get a Leica for nearer £100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leica-DISTO.../dp/B001AOUQXG

Oh dear, now I shall have to get one.

What's the current thinking on laser *levels*? I have an ancient cheap
one, but the mechanics is beginning to go.

But is that Leica any better than my Bosch GLM 50 C? I already have a
level function in that (albeit not the full facilities available in some
levels).

More decisions! How good is the tilt measurement I wonder. My existing
one is not self-levelling, but it has a rotating head so that you get a
360 degree line. I can't help feeling that this is more useful than the
ones which just project a line or cross.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2016 08:32, MM wrote:
I look at the Bosch PLR 15 on Amazon, but there are a number of
low-rated reviews of it.

What do people recommend? I don't need bells and whistles. It just has
to measure width/length of a room. But LASER not ultrasonic! It also
has to be reliable, unlike, apparently, the Bosch one.

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica... be prepared to
fork out £200 for it though.

you can get a Leica for nearer £100.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leica-DISTO.../dp/B001AOUQXG

That's not bad, they have come down a bit since I last bought any then ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 23 May 2016 07:41:39 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 22/05/16 22:14, newshound wrote:

Oh dear, now I shall have to get one.

What's the current thinking on laser *levels*? I have an ancient cheap
one, but the mechanics is beginning to go.

Stanley do some nice ones at modest prices - with crosshair lines, self
levelling and lockable.

I finally decided to buy the "Excelvan Newest Handheld Laser Distance
Meter with Bubble Level Rangefinder" for 23.99 inc. free delivery
from Amazon.

I tried to pretend to myself that an expensive product would last
forever, but then I had to admit (to myself) that I won't be using
such a tool more than a few times in total, i.e. garden shed perhaps.
Carpets or other flooring. So I ~almost~ forked out 80-odd quid for
the Leica D2, but sanity prevailed.

And if this Excelvan thingy does break in a short time, no biggie at
24.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2016 09:52, newshound wrote:
More decisions! How good is the tilt measurement I wonder. My existing
one is not self-levelling, but it has a rotating head so that you get a
360 degree line. I can't help feeling that this is more useful than the
ones which just project a line or cross.

I suspect you want more than the GLM 50 C can give you.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2016 09:52, newshound wrote:
More decisions! How good is the tilt measurement I wonder. My existing
one is not self-levelling, but it has a rotating head so that you get a
360 degree line. I can't help feeling that this is more useful than the
ones which just project a line or cross.

For those who would find it adequate, Lidl are offering this:

PARKSIDE Cross Line Laser
£19.99*
each

Projects rectangular orientation lines, with selflevelling and
adjustable angle functions
Automatic blinking signals when initial angle changes by 4°
Compact housing with ¼ tripod receptor and removable 360°
universal clamp
Includes batteries and instructions for use
***Specifications box
Max. working range (m): 7
Projection modes: self-levelling/pendulum fixing
Self-levelling range: ± 4°
Levelling accuracy (mm/m): ± 0.8

As of 30th May.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

I've now received my Excelvan gizmo and it is just dandy. It displays
the previous three measurements along with the current measurement. It
has a nifty wrist lanyard, and the unit sits very comfortably in the
hand. I verified several measurements (room length/width) with a tape
measure and it's pretty accurate. Certainly accurate enough for
estimating how much carpet or wooden flooring one needs to budget for.
The instructions, in reasonable English, are adequate, but brief.
However, I'm not interested in all the Pythagoras stuff it can do. I
just wanted an easy to use, cheap laser measure. There is a tiny
spirit level built into the side, and I can only suppose this is for
keeping the unit absolutely level for consistent results. There's a
button for setting the reference point, either front or rear
(default). All in all I'm very pleased with my purchase.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

I've now received my Excelvan gizmo and it is just dandy.

Looks to be badged under a myriad of other names too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/field-keywords=Laser+Distance+Meter+with+Bubble+Level

It displays the previous three measurements along with the current
measurement.

handy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2016 08:51:20 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

MM wrote:

I've now received my Excelvan gizmo and it is just dandy.

Looks to be badged under a myriad of other names too

And at all different prices! I just chose what appeared to be the
cheapest (23.99). I've got nothing against "badged" per se. Think
Austin Mini and Morris Mini.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:

I've now received my Excelvan gizmo and it is just dandy.

Looks to be badged under a myriad of other names too

And at all different prices! I just chose what appeared to be the
cheapest (£23.99). I've got nothing against "badged" per se. Think
Austin Mini and Morris Mini.

And then: Vanden Plas Mini!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

MM wrote:

I've now received my Excelvan gizmo and it is just dandy.

Looks to be badged under a myriad of other names too

And at all different prices! I just chose what appeared to be the
cheapest (23.99). I've got nothing against "badged" per se. Think
Austin Mini and Morris Mini.

And then: Vanden Plas Mini!

As I recall, Coxheath near Maidstone wasn't upmarket enough for Vanden
Plas buyers...

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:

I've now received my Excelvan gizmo and it is just dandy.

Looks to be badged under a myriad of other names too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/field-keywords=Laser+Distance+Meter+with+Bubble+Level

It displays the previous three measurements along with the current
measurement.

handy.

Weird use for laser distance measure #42

So having got my new Excelvan, today I was setting up a webcam to scan
my bookshelves with the aim of cataloguing all the titles. I sit at
the desktop PC, the books are between 3m and 8m away, I adjust the
webcam, then view the spines on a widescreen monitor and type in the
titles. Every so often I reposition the webcam for another bunch of
titles.

So I set it up just now -- and found that the USB extension cable
wasn't long enough at 1.5m. But as luck would have it, I had a another
1.5m extension driving the scanner, so I've stolen that one
temporarily and plugged the two together. Not ideal, but it works.
However, meanwhile I need to order a new, longer cable, but what
length?

Aha! Who has a laser measure, then! Moi! I was actually walking to the
drawer where I keep my steel tape measures when I remembered -- duh!
-- the Excelvan. It took seconds to measure the distance I'd need
from closest book to furthest away. Brilliant!

Anyone got any other bizarre uses for these things?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

MM wrote:

What do people recommend?

If you want one that really works (always), then Leica...

If anyone want one, then Screwfix will have the Leica Disto D110 measure
coming up as deal of the day next Tuesday (unfortunately Mystic Meg can
no longer foresee prices due to their new page layout with the details
overlaid as text over the image).