Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Sweet deal on PLS1 laser distance measurer

Anybody looking for a highly capable laser distance measurement unit?

Amazon has a deal right now on the Pacific Laser Systems PLS1 - on sale for
$329 (the claimed list price is $595 - yeah, right), and two combinable
special offers: $50 off anything over $300, and a 10% discount on any tool.
Bottom line, the PLS1 can be had for about $250.

Mine arrived today, and it's really impressive. It claims accuracy of 1/8"
out to 600' - I would've expected accuracy to degrade with distance, but I
guess this is an example of "The speed of light - it's not just a good idea,
it's the law!"

It's got a whole bunch of useful functions (like measuring height or
distance from the side, using pythagorean functions), a very bright laser (I
had no trouble seeing it at over 100' in daylight), and a 2X sighting scope
for extreme distances.

I had previously bought the $40 Sears "long distance" laser-guided sonar
distance-measuring widget (page 89 of the latest tool catalog), and it's the
poster child for "If it seems to be too good to b true...". Pretty much
useless for anything I tried to do with it - abysmal repeatability, totally
confused by long, narrow halls, just a generally unpleasant experience.
It's going back to Sears.

Obligatory disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Amazon or Pacific Laser
Systems - I'm simply a tool freak with a really, really neat new toy.

- Dennis Brothers