Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch PSR 2.4V screwdriver cells?

Hi all,

I've just come across my old Bosch electric screwdriver and I remember
it being pretty good and torquy. It also has a neat auto locking
mechanism if you prefer to use it as an ordinary screwdriver.

Because the supplied charger didn't seem to do anything when
(supposedly) left on charge for a while, I've stripped the screwdriver
down and have the cells out and on my fancy new charger.

I believe they are Nicads but the (2) cells themselves are in an
unmarked cardboard tube, I can't see any mention of the chemistry on
the driver itself or anything on the net (the closest was a discussion
here a while back g) so I wondered if anyone happened to know
please?

I've got them on a gentle(500mA) x3 'cycle' as NiMh's so I'll see how
they fare and I don't think the charge profile is that much different
from NiMh's in any case ((Negative) Delta V full charge detection) but
I understand it's safer to assume NiMh even if they are Nicads when
charging.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 May 2016 17:06:54 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
[...]

They're bound to be NiCd. By the time NiMH and lithium came along no-one was still buying 2.4v screwdrivers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 May 2016 10:32:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

That was my thought as well.

By the time NiMH and lithium came along no-one was still buying 2.4v screwdrivers.

Were NiMh and Lithium that closely spaced? I thought there was quite a
gap where things were gradually going from Nicad to NiMh (with the
cheaper tools still coming in NiCad) and then a slow appearance of
Lithium with most the mainstream stuff still coming in NiMh (and still
with low voltage screwdrivers (in particular))?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2016 17:06, T i m wrote:

I believe they are Nicads

If they are heavy they are nicads.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 May 2016 20:47:44 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 02/05/2016 17:06, T i m wrote:

I believe they are Nicads

If they are heavy they are nicads.

That's a novel solution Bill. ;-)

When I get them off the cycle / charge I'll compare them with my other
(known chemistry) cells.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 May 2016 18:57:11 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 2 May 2016 10:32:54 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Laptops were NiMH in the early 90s, power tools stayed NiCd only until more recently, even after most other things had gone NiMH.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 May 2016 15:38:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Laptops and phones seemed to lead the way and it was possibly their
use that brought the price down for other uses.

Cheers, T i m