Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio controlled clock an hour fast

In message s.com,
John writes
replying to Chris Hogg , John wrote:
me wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:06:36 +0000, Chris French I also have a Lidl
RC clock that gets it's time signal from Frankfurt. It's an Auriol
IAN 100706. Big flat round face, two rectangular windows,
wall-hanging, displays time, day, date, week no., temperature and
moon phase. Yours may be different. Somewhere in the instructions or
set-up routine there's an option to set the time zone. Just found
whe page 9. As they say, when all else fails, read the
instructions. :-) -- Chris

There are hundreds of these being sold from today - and they're all wrong
by an hour. The intructions for this clock make no mention of any means
of adjusting it by an hour, and Lidl themselves say they're getting loads
of complaints - but have no answer beyond a refund.

They're either very stupid or just assume their customers are stupid
enough to put up with defective clocks.

I assume that they were supposed to be UK specific ones, and they cocked
up somewhere.

I'm mostly just amused by it :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 19:15, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:19:32 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 21/12/2015 12:28, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

That's illogical. Farmers work whenever it's light. The number on the
clock is irrelevant.

Have a look at 'Debates on reform' at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:40:31 -0000, Adrian wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:28:18 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.

The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.

You might. Parliament didn't.

366 votes to 81.

Since when has our government done anything sensible?

When they pulled the plug on your benefits.

The problem is the type of power hungry morons who like to
take up politics are precisely the type of people that shouldn't.

Corse that isn't true of fools like Farage eh ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 19:16, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:19:32 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 21/12/2015 12:28, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

Since when did Scots farmers outnumber everyone else in the UK?

They don't but, like a good number of Scots, they tend to exercise their
vocal chords quite vigorously.

Devolution, referendum anybody?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 12:06, Chris French wrote:
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

Going off at a tangent...

Let us contemplate the idea that Scotland becomes independent, or
despite not being fully independent gained control over their time zone.
They then decide to shift their time zone differently to England and
Wales. But the MSF transmitter is in England.

Would there be vast numbers of radio-controlled clocks appearing on
eBay? With "Item located in Kirkcaldy, Dundee, Edinburgh, Aberdeen,
Glasgow, ..."

I can't think of a obvious technical solution unless the clocks are
switchable between time sources (as some are). Even then, the switch I
have seen is between existing sources - not some new fangled one on a
different frequency.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message
In message , Chris B writes
On 21/12/2015 12:06, Chris French wrote:
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

I have bought 3 from Lidl over the years and they all have had the ability
to set the displayed time as +/- 1, 2 or 3 hours. Try playing with the
menus or if all else fails try google for the exact type - you will
probably find the info.

There are no menus, googling it up produces no results.

Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/...lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RADI O-CONTROLLED%20WALL%20C
LOCK

My reading of that is that you can use the manual time setting to
move the time forward 1 minute at a time and that that offset will
be used when it acquires the radio time.

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)

I find it hard to believe that krauts could **** up as spectacularly as
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 19:19:56 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 21/12/2015 19:15, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:19:32 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 21/12/2015 12:28, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

That's illogical. Farmers work whenever it's light. The number on the
clock is irrelevant.

Have a look at 'Debates on reform' at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Summer_Time

Looks like most people are in favour.

--
Question: Are there too many immigrants in Britain?
17% said yes, 11% said no, 72% said "I am not understanding the question please."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 19:20:27 -0000, Phucker ****er wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:40:31 -0000, Adrian wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:28:18 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.

The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.

You might. Parliament didn't.

366 votes to 81.

Since when has our government done anything sensible?

When they pulled the plug on your benefits.

No they didn't.

We don't know, because our ****ed up voting system the Conservatives have fiddled means that they got THREE TIMES more votes than the SNP, yet a FIFTIETH of the seats.

--
Question: Are there too many immigrants in Britain?
17% said yes, 11% said no, 72% said "I am not understanding the question please."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 19:22:24 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 21/12/2015 19:16, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:19:32 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 21/12/2015 12:28, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

Since when did Scots farmers outnumber everyone else in the UK?

They don't but, like a good number of Scots, they tend to exercise their
vocal chords quite vigorously.

Hey guess what? You don't have to listen to complaints! The government oughta just tell them to sod off. Democracy is about majority rule, and farmers are not the majority.

Devolution, referendum anybody?

What? Fairness in politics?

--
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phucker ****er" wrote in message ...

**** off Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

roups.com...
me wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:06:36 +0000, Chris French I also have a Lidl RC
clock that gets it's time signal from Frankfurt. It's an Auriol IAN
100706. Big flat round face, two rectangular windows, wall-hanging,
displays time, day, date, week no., temperature and moon phase. Yours may
be different. Somewhere in the instructions or set-up routine there's an
option to set the time zone. Just found whe page 9. As they say, when
all else fails, read the instructions. :-)

There are hundreds of these being sold from today - and they're all wrong
by an hour. The intructions for this clock make no mention of any means
of adjusting it by an hour, and Lidl themselves say they're getting loads
of complaints - but have no answer beyond a refund.

They're either very stupid or just assume their customers are stupid
enough to put up with defective clocks.

Or someone ****ed up on what got shipped to the UK to be sold there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
Going off at a tangent...

NWWT :-)

Let us contemplate the idea that Scotland becomes independent, or
despite not being fully independent gained control over their time zone.
They then decide to shift their time zone differently to England and
Wales. But the MSF transmitter is in England.

Would there be vast numbers of radio-controlled clocks appearing on
eBay? With "Item located in Kirkcaldy, Dundee, Edinburgh, Aberdeen,
Glasgow, ..."

I can't think of a obvious technical solution unless the clocks are
switchable between time sources (as some are). Even then, the switch I
have seen is between existing sources - not some new fangled one on a
different frequency.

I seems to recall hearing about r-c clocks that you can adjust plus or
minus an hour (or several hours).

That would be OK if the new time zone was an exact number of hours
different, and changed summer/winter time on the same dates. The Scots
would be mad to do anything else.

My preference would be for the UK to shift to CET. Without the Scots, if
necessary.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:00:37 -0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo , Adrian
escribió:

Feel free to ask for an explanation if you don't understand the
difference.

Thank **** my killfile picked up PHucker's latest morph.

Clearly not, as you're in a discussion about me.

--
If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

^W^W^W Get a bigger hammer.

--
What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree would kill you?
A pool table.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:05:15 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

I'd be amazed if it's not possible to switch it to GMT. Lidl seem to
manage to sell electrical stuff with UK plugs on them. ;-)

What happened to the days when people knew how to fit their own plugs?

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. It's because I hate plants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:27:30 -0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

polygonum wrote:
Going off at a tangent...

NWWT :-)

[...]

You'd get a tectonic rift along Hadrian's Wall, are you sure you want to go ahead with this?

--
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:28:18 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.

The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.

You might. Parliament didn't.

366 votes to 81.

Since when has our government done anything sensible?

When they pulled the plug on your benefits.

No they didn't.

The problem is the type of power hungry morons who like to
take up politics are precisely the type of people that shouldn't.

Corse that isn't true of fools like Farage eh ?

We don't know,

Yes we do.

because our ****ed up voting system the Conservatives have fiddled means
that they got THREE TIMES more votes than the SNP, yet a FIFTIETH of the
seats.

Not relevant to whether Farage is one of
those you object to taking up politics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:25:41 -0000, Adrian
wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:14:02 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

It would be right if our ****wit government hadn't put the clocks
back to give us even less light in an already dark winter.

If you're going to blame politicians, then there's three different
dates you might find useful to remember.

1916, when it was first introduced.
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light,
particularly in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not
backwards in winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer
doesn't matter then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

And as now it only gets light at 8AM, if it were left like that, it would
still be dark when all the kids were going to school at 8:30, this is why
they changed it - an extra hour at 4pm is a waste of light, all the kids are
back home by then

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Don't interrupt Rod, or you'll be deleted again.

I do however find it amusing you change name every time you think I won't talk to you anymore. Is this a crush or what? I thought there were no poofters in Australia?

because our ****ed up voting system the Conservatives have fiddled means
that they got THREE TIMES more votes than the SNP, yet a FIFTIETH of the
seats.

Not relevant to whether Farage is one of
those you object to taking up politics.

His policies are FAR better than other parties. Except the BNP of course.

--
Before you set out on a journey, ring your local radio station and say there's a teerrible congestion on your road. Everybody avoids it and it's clear for you! -- Jack Dee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Why let kids ruin it for the rest of us? Especially as they're taken to school by car nowadays anyway.

Oh and they've invented streetlamps by the way.

--
Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes, and they could have light when they went out to play, which is just, if not more, likely to cause them to get run over.

--
What animal has genitals on its back?
A police horse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

But but but, we have those pesky 20mph limits, it's impossible to kill people on the road....

--
What animal has genitals on its back?
A police horse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

Do their cows tell the time, then?

They know when to go to sleep - at pasture bedtime

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris French
writes
In message ,
Mathew Newton writes
On Monday, 21 December 2015 13:40:41 UTC, Chris French wrote:

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)

It seems that way!

Could you carefully remove the hour hand and refit it an hour
previous? It might be a keyed shaft to ease assembly (no calibration)
however if it is just a splined/interference shaft you might be okay.

Quite possibly, but I've got better things to do right now.

Well, as it happens, I was sat with the clock nearby, and I thought I've
nothing to lose by having a poke about.

The front came off easily , secured with 4 sprung clips.

I pulled off the second hand, but the main hands seem to be on a
hexagonal shaft. They wouldn't easily come off anyway. On a whim I just
moved the hands back to 11 o'clock and set it off again. Low and behold
it now shows the correct time :-)

Actually the minute hand is about 1/4 minute off, but I'm sure I can
tweak that if it bothers me.

Presumably that is how they should have been sold.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 12:06, Chris French wrote:
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

There is a setting on both my lidl clocks to set the offset from the
German time signal.
RTFM to see how to set it as I doubt that yours doesn't also have a setting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 20:27, Mike Barnes wrote:
polygonum wrote:
Going off at a tangent...

NWWT :-)

[...]

I am imagining Scotland choosing no summer/winter change, changing on
different dates, doubled change, or something else that can't ready be
handled by the existing simplistic "which transmitter" and "extra
hour/minus hour" mechanisms.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

???? Do they change the earth rotation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pamela
writes
On 14:56 21 Dec 2015, Chris French wrote:

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:30:02 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SID-31E28FCE-
A4508391/lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title= RADIO-CONTROLLED
%20WALL%20CLOCK

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)

Sounds like it.

Does the clock start at 12, 4, or 8? Could be the hands were put on
wrong...?

They start at 12.

However, perusing the Lidl service site, I found the same looking
clock sold previously under a different model number.

It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)

looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)

So even if you set the time manually, soon enough the clock will adjust
itself to German time?

Yup.

That would mean every clock sold is unsuitable for use in the UK.

Yup, they have cocked up.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

[...]

I don't think so, whilst it doesn't specify it in the manual, with radio
control clocks they normally revert to the automatically set time once
they recieve the signal again.

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)

I find it hard to believe that krauts could **** up as spectacularly as

that.

shrug believe what you want.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The earth's rotation changes by up to 50 seconds either way per day.

--
23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No, they come and paint different numbers on all our clocks and watches so the light happens earlier in the day.

--
23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
And as now it only gets light at 8AM, if it were left like that, it
would still be dark when all the kids were going to school at 8:30,
this is why they changed it - an extra hour at 4pm is a waste of light,
all the kids are back home by then

When I were a kid in the NE of Scotland, we went to school in the dark as
well as coming home after dark for some of the winter.

But had daylight until after 11pm in mid summer.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote:
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

Do their cows tell the time, then?

They know when to go to sleep - at pasture bedtime

That's good. Know any udder ones?

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to alan_m , John wrote:
junk wrote:

The aldi/lidl clocks often have a UK/CET switch to set the time zone.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Sadly, though, this one doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Chris French , Unclefista wrote:
newsgrp wrote:

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
They start at 12.
However, perusing the Lidl service site, I found the same looking clock
sold previously under a different model number.
It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)
looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)
--
Chris French

I've just sorted mine out, no menu or anything complicated

The clock face/mechanism is held into the case with 4 wire clips. Unclip
these from the case (the end closest to you, not the point of the V that
presses against the black plastic of the mechanism, you'll see what I mean
when you look.

Then I physically moved the hour hand back an hour.

Clips clip back into place.

That's it..

Took me about 2 minutes because I was being careful.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 00:05:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

F news@nowhere wrote:
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

Do their cows tell the time, then?

They know when to go to sleep - at pasture bedtime

That's good. Know any udder ones?

You're milking this.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 22:51:57 +0000, polygonum wrote:

I am imagining Scotland choosing no summer/winter change, changing on
different dates, doubled change, or something else that can't ready be
handled by the existing simplistic "which transmitter" and "extra
hour/minus hour" mechanisms.

The smallest time increment the current time zones show is 15 minutes.

That would be outside the usual reception area: Nepal, Australia, New Zealand...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
I find it hard to believe that krauts could **** up as spectacularly as

that.

Oh Ye of little Faith...
Volkswagen?
Energiewiende?

Cultural Marxism has rendered Germany more ****ed up than most places

--
the biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential