Default Resetting MSF radio-controlled clock after refitting hands.

Followups set to sci.electronics.repair .

David Chapman wrote:
Can anyone tell me the secret of how to reset a ZEON TECH MSF radio-
controlled clock after removing the hands to lubricate a sticky
mechanism and then replacing them?

Maybe Zeon can? http://www.zeonltd.co.uk

When first purchased, the fitting of the AA battery caused the clock
to motor round until it eventually displayed the correct time, but
when I now power it up it does that again but the final time displayed
is inaccurate. This is obviously because I don't know what time the
mechanism thinks it is and therefore cannot put the hands back in the
correct places.

Power it up and let it run for a few days so you're sure it has acquired
the radio signal. Then, look at another radio-controlled clock, take
the hands off of the Zeon, and reposition them at the correct time.

Matt Roberds

David Chapman

Thanks to this who have replied for their suggestions.

Maybe Zeon can? http://www.zeonltd.co.uk

I tried e-mailing them - they haven't replied.

Power it up and let it run for a few days so you're sure it has acquired
the radio signal. Then, look at another radio-controlled clock, take
the hands off of the Zeon, and reposition them at the correct time.

I have two of these clocks so I tried to do that - a number of times.
The main problem is that if you try to put the hands back on while the
clock is running, your finger pressure stops the delicate clock
mechanism from moving for long enough for it to be inaccurate when the
hands do start moving again. Trying to anticipate the amount of delay
hasn't worked for me either. I just don't like having a Radio-Controlled
clock that displays an inaccurate time - even by half a minute or so.

There MUST be a procedure used in the factory when the hands are
initially fitted. Maybe they are positioned to display a certain time
and then the simple electronics are 're-set' or 'zeroed' to start the
clock from that point, but I've tried a number of ideas without success.

It's probably simpler just to buy a new clock and retire the
inaccurate one but I'm sure that the start-up procedure CAN'T be that
hard to discover - or can it?

ATB - Dave

David C.Chapman - Chartered Engineer. FIEE. )
CHAPMAN ASSOCIATES is a Consultancy offering practical expertise and
design skills in the fields of counter-surveillance, electronic protection
and security. Visit our Web site at http://www.minda.co.uk
Mark

How about this????

1) let the clock run for a few days so it syncs up to the radio signal.

2) at exactly 12 midnight, remove the batteries

3) with the clock stopped at 12 midnight, attach the hands so they read
12 midnight

4) replace the batteries and let the clock sync up again

Mark