Rick

Default GE Clock radio readout

My wife gave me a GE Model 7-4892a clock radio as a gift, about a year ago.
I like it, it is very ergonomic. Now one of the buttons requires several
pushes to shut off the radio alarm. Plus, the LCD display has always had low
contrast and is difficult for these tired eyes to read at nite.
While attemting to remedy the intermittent button, I thought I would try to
tinker with the circuit a bit to increase either the contrast and/or
backlighting somewhat, if possible. I cannot find a schematic on Sams or the
web anywhere (too new?) which would be helpful.
Anyone have a suggestion where to accomplish this? I haven't taken it apart
yet, and want to avoid trouble with the wife. ;o)
Thanks for any help.
--
Rick

Jerry G.

These radios are considered low cost for replacement. The labour cost to
service it may exceed the replacement value. On many of these models GE
gives an exchange during the warranty, when the dealer sends the unit for
service. The display may be going dim, if it is the LCD model, because the
electroluminance panel behind the display is going weak. As for the
buttons, the switch may be going defective. In most models these switches
are on a moulded strip assembly. Some use spring loaded contact wafers,
while others may use conductive rubber pads.

If you call GE Thompson's service department, they can give you information
for their authorized parts dealer for your area. It is possible that the
parts will be unavailable for your model when out of warranty. You have to
ask.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Rick" wrote in message
My wife gave me a GE Model 7-4892a clock radio as a gift, about a year ago.
I like it, it is very ergonomic. Now one of the buttons requires several
pushes to shut off the radio alarm. Plus, the LCD display has always had low
contrast and is difficult for these tired eyes to read at nite.
While attemting to remedy the intermittent button, I thought I would try to
tinker with the circuit a bit to increase either the contrast and/or
backlighting somewhat, if possible. I cannot find a schematic on Sams or the
web anywhere (too new?) which would be helpful.
Anyone have a suggestion where to accomplish this? I haven't taken it apart
yet, and want to avoid trouble with the wife. ;o)
Thanks for any help.
--
Rick

Rick

Thanks for the response. No labor costs here, I was just going to tinker
around with it anyway. If I can't improve anything, I'll just buy another as
it is out of warranty.
--
Rick

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

Asimov

"Rick" bravely wrote to "All" (03 Nov 03 22:30:02)
--- on the heady topic of " GE Clock radio readout"

These "high pressure" professional technicians don't understand that we
"amateurs" would rather spend a couple of "free" hours on a $10 device,
rather than throwing it out to increase the size of the landfill.

Don't let them browbeat you into a state of total apathy. However, at
some point, there are some things that actually require a sledgehammer!
;-)

BTW many folk here, like Jerry, seem to be very defeatist and tend to
discourage tinkering. I think it is simply a conflict of interest. Just
remember the electronics industry was "invented" by "amateurs" and as
long as nobody gets hurt then send the rest to hell! :-)

Ri From: "Rick"

Ri Thanks for the response. No labor costs here, I was just going to
Ri tinker around with it anyway. If I can't improve anything, I'll just
Ri buy another as it is out of warranty.
Ri --
Ri Rick

Ri "Jerry G." wrote in message
Ri ...
These radios are considered low cost for replacement. The labour cost to
service it may exceed the replacement value. On many of these models GE

.... Just a little force field zap.

Wayne Tiffany

I feel compelled to step up to bat for Jerry G. just a bit. I have seen
many good advice posts out of him, so to lump him into the "non-tinkering"
camp I feel is a bit unfair. I took his comment to mean that some devices
aren't worth spending much time on - true statement - unless you do it for
the fun and education of it. At that point you only have to answer to the
wife! :-)

WT

"Asimov" wrote in message
[...]

Ri "Jerry G." wrote in message
Ri ...
These radios are considered low cost for replacement. The labour cost to
service it may exceed the replacement value. On many of these models GE

.... Just a little force field zap.

Rick

OK, so, after all that posturing.... does anyone have a schematic or an
idea, like tack a resistor or capacitor across somewhere to make the display
more contrasty /readable? I could not find any tech info on the GE site.
The display actually has not degraded over time, but has been somewhat hard
to read from the start. Nothing like an LED display. I can't wait to crack
it open, probably a tiny board holding one chip, a far cry from building a
digital clock in college 25 years ago.
BTW, this ng seems to be a much friendlier mix of pros and tinkerers than
the alt.hvac crowd. After about 30 sarcastic flames about being a
"homemoaner", someone finally gave me the answer to a simple wiring
question.
--
Rick

"Asimov" wrote in message
[...]