Jerry G.

Default GE Clock radio readout

These radios are considered low cost for replacement. The labour cost to
service it may exceed the replacement value. On many of these models GE
gives an exchange during the warranty, when the dealer sends the unit for
service. The display may be going dim, if it is the LCD model, because the
electroluminance panel behind the display is going weak. As for the
buttons, the switch may be going defective. In most models these switches
are on a moulded strip assembly. Some use spring loaded contact wafers,
while others may use conductive rubber pads.

If you call GE Thompson's service department, they can give you information
for their authorized parts dealer for your area. It is possible that the
parts will be unavailable for your model when out of warranty. You have to
ask.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Rick" wrote in message
My wife gave me a GE Model 7-4892a clock radio as a gift, about a year ago.
I like it, it is very ergonomic. Now one of the buttons requires several
pushes to shut off the radio alarm. Plus, the LCD display has always had low
contrast and is difficult for these tired eyes to read at nite.
While attemting to remedy the intermittent button, I thought I would try to
tinker with the circuit a bit to increase either the contrast and/or
backlighting somewhat, if possible. I cannot find a schematic on Sams or the
web anywhere (too new?) which would be helpful.
Anyone have a suggestion where to accomplish this? I haven't taken it apart
yet, and want to avoid trouble with the wife. ;o)
Thanks for any help.
--
Rick