Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio controlled clock an hour fast

A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It would be right if our ****wit government hadn't put the clocks back to give us even less light in an already dark winter.

--
Impeccable, adjective: something which cannot be destroyed by the beak of a parrot. Scientists have yet to discover such a substance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it this one? https://youtu.be/yNrHeMbdkPQ

--
Why was the guitar teacher arrested?
For fingering A minor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:14:02 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

It would be right if our ****wit government hadn't put the clocks back
to give us even less light in an already dark winter.

If you're going to blame politicians, then there's three different dates
you might find useful to remember.

1916, when it was first introduced.
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:25:41 -0000, Adrian wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:14:02 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

It would be right if our ****wit government hadn't put the clocks back
to give us even less light in an already dark winter.

If you're going to blame politicians, then there's three different dates
you might find useful to remember.

1916, when it was first introduced.
1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

--
Clair Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on Look North said: "There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like this."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:28:18 -0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

[...]

Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

--
What do black men do after sex?
15 years to life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

I bought one from Lidl - which is no longer in my possession, but there is
a button push which allows the hours to be adjusted.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:28:18 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.

The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.

You might. Parliament didn't.

366 votes to 81.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

I also have a Lidl RC clock that gets it's time signal from Frankfurt.
It's an Auriol IAN 100706. Big flat round face, two rectangular
windows, wall-hanging, displays time, day, date, week no., temperature
and moon phase. Yours may be different. Somewhere in the instructions
or set-up routine there's an option to set the time zone. Just found
whe page 9. As they say, when all else fails, read the
instructions. :-)

Thanks, but I did once it didn't set it self correctly :-), it says
nothing about changing the time zone.

Mine is different model:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=29549

A quick web search suggest they have had this problem before with
similar clocks
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Macaw writes
wrote:

A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

Is it this one? https://youtu.be/yNrHeMbdkPQ

No, mine is an analogue one.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's not setting the clocks back - it's setting them correctly to natural
time.

It was bad enought, as a student, being Christmas Postie with the clocks as
they are now. Sunrise around 8.30am in Edinburgh and there's a lot further
north to go.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:40:31 -0000, Adrian wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:28:18 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

1966, when the start of a trial saw the UK move to GMT+1 all year.
1970, when the House of Commons reviewed the trial and voted
overwhelmingly to go back to the hour change.

But it still wouldn't be right all year, because Germany has an hour
clock change in autumn and spring, too.

The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.

You might. Parliament didn't.

366 votes to 81.

Since when has our government done anything sensible? The problem is the type of power hungry morons who like to take up politics are precisely the type of people that shouldn't.

--
You need only two tools in life. WD-40 and duck tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Our concept of time during a day is not natural. It's invented. There is no "correct" time.

It was bad enought, as a student, being Christmas Postie with the clocks as
they are now. Sunrise around 8.30am in Edinburgh and there's a lot further
north to go.

In winter it can get dark about 4 or 5 pm. The WHOLE evening is dark. Nevermind an hour in the morning, think of the whole evening!

--
A woman storms into her boss's office with this complaint:
"All the other women in the office are suing you for sexual harassment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

I'd be amazed if it's not possible to switch it to GMT. Lidl seem to
manage to sell electrical stuff with UK plugs on them. ;-)

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The sun rises and sets as it wishes, and government regulations change
the amount of light not a single microsecond.

(Which is just another way of saying Phucker is a ****wit.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 12:06, Chris French wrote:
A new Lidl has recently in our local town - a bit of a novelty as the
nearest Aldlidls are about 20 miles away.

Anyway, popped in today for the first time when passing, to see if they
had any interesting things in their deals. I picked up a new radio
controlled clock as our old one died.

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

I have a radio controlled watch, but on that I can set the time zone)

So are Lidl are selling a load of clocks which will set themselves wrong
:-)

I have bought 3 from Lidl over the years and they all have had the
ability to set the displayed time as +/- 1, 2 or 3 hours. Try playing
with the menus or if all else fails try google for the exact type - you
will probably find the info.

--
Chris B News
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Chris French wrote:
[...]

Well yes, but I can't see anyway on this clock
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The government changes what time of day it's light. Obviously in winter we have lots of dark in the evenings, which is wrong. Clearly it's better to have it dark for an hour early in the morning (all you're doing is driving to work) and have an extra hour of light in the evening when you get home and can enjoy it. If you consider the times of day that most people are awake, it's out of synch with the time that it's light.

(Which is just another way of saying Phucker is a ****wit.)

Thought you killfiled me, liar.

--
What has got two legs and bleeds?
Half a dog!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris B
writes
[...]

There are no menus, googling it up produces no results.

Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/...lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RADI O-CONTROLLED%20WALL%20C
LOCK

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:59:37 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.

You might. Parliament didn't.

366 votes to 81.

Since when has our government done anything sensible?

That was parliament, not the government.

Feel free to ask for an explanation if you don't understand the
difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:32:41 -0000, Adrian wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:59:37 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need.
So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in winter.

You might. Parliament didn't.

366 votes to 81.

Since when has our government done anything sensible?

That was parliament, not the government.

Feel free to ask for an explanation if you don't understand the
difference.

Er.... I read this: http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/r...nt-government/
And it's rather unclear. We voted the Tories in, who then decide what laws to change. So who chooses who is in "parliament"? Isn't parliament that room they have on TV with the party leaders at the front wailing at each other, and full of MPs we voted in, hence it's also the "government". I know there's a thing called the "house of lords" which is completely undemocratic, but I'm not sure who has control over what.

--
404 error - signature not found.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank **** my killfile picked up PHucker's latest morph.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:41:37 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

but I'm not sure who has control over what.

And that includes you and your bowels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 December 2015 13:40:41 UTC, Chris French wrote:

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)

It seems that way!

Could you carefully remove the hour hand and refit it an hour previous? It might be a keyed shaft to ease assembly (no calibration) however if it is just a splined/interference shaft you might be okay.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Macaw writes
[...]

We're further north and also further west. Edinburgh is further west
than Bristol. The combination makes quite a difference to sunrise.

Brian
--
Brian Howie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:53:41 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

[...]

Does this help? Different model, but the works may be similar
http://tinyurl.com/oj4cj2l
The instructions for mine are here http://tinyurl.com/hgx67my

Thanks, but no that doesn't help I'm afraid. (I think I'd found that
fixya page before).

That is all for digital clocks, as is yours, mine is analogue and based
on a different mechanism (unsurprisingly).

It's ok, AFAICS Lidl have cocked up, I'll take it back in a couple of
days.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:09:31 -0000, Adrian wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:41:37 +0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

but I'm not sure who has control over what.

And that includes you and your bowels.

You've just proved your intelligence level is too low to participate in an adult discussion.

--
This exchange was overheard between the separated sections of the jail.
A male voice yells over to the female side: "I got 12 inches over here you would love to have."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:11:45 -0000, Brian Howie wrote:

In message , Mr Macaw writes
[...]

It makes it WORSE for us in the evenings. We end up with it getting dark EARLIER than the English. Therefore we should wants the clocks further FORWARDS in winter! I don't care if it's dark for an hour or so when all people are doing is either lying in or driving to work. But most people are at home in the evenings and are stuck in artificially created darkness, it's absurd! Think of the waking hours of most people, why have we put the light part of those hours all at one end?

--
Watching your daughter being collected by her date feels like handing over a million dollar Stradivarius to a gorilla.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Mathew Newton writes
On Monday, 21 December 2015 13:40:41 UTC, Chris French wrote:

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)

It seems that way!

Could you carefully remove the hour hand and refit it an hour previous?
It might be a keyed shaft to ease assembly (no calibration) however if
it is just a splined/interference shaft you might be okay.

Quite possibly, but I've got better things to do right now.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 13:30:02 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/...lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RAD IO-CONTROLLED%20WALL%20C
LOCK

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)

Sounds like it.

Does the clock start at 12, 4, or 8? Could be the hands were put on wrong...?

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
wrote:

Manual is here is any one thinks I'm not reading them correctly.

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/...lsp/hs.xsl/pro
duct.html?id=140798043&rdeLocaleAttr=en&title=RA DIO-CONTROLLED%20WALL%20C
LOCK

I think Lidl have cocked up :-)

Sounds like it.

Does the clock start at 12, 4, or 8? Could be the hands were put on wrong...?

They start at 12.

However, perusing the Lidl service site, I found the same looking clock
sold previously under a different model number.

It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)

looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about that particular model but on similar clocks I've just
prised the "glass" off and moved the hour hand round a bit. It's just a
friction fit.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:56:54 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

It says for UK the hands should go to 11 (and for a couple of other
countries to 1, presumably as they are an hour ahead)

looks like my clock should have stayed on the mainland :-)

Ah! Problem found.

Maybe they will give you a "goes to 11" one in exchange.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Chris Hogg , John wrote:
me wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:06:36 +0000, Chris French
I also have a Lidl RC clock that gets it's time signal from Frankfurt.
It's an Auriol IAN 100706. Big flat round face, two rectangular
windows, wall-hanging, displays time, day, date, week no., temperature
and moon phase. Yours may be different. Somewhere in the instructions
or set-up routine there's an option to set the time zone. Just found
whe page 9. As they say, when all else fails, read the
instructions. :-)
--

Chris

There are hundreds of these being sold from today - and they're all wrong
by an hour. The intructions for this clock make no mention of any means
of adjusting it by an hour, and Lidl themselves say they're getting loads
of complaints - but have no answer beyond a refund.

They're either very stupid or just assume their customers are stupid
enough to put up with defective clocks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/15 17:44, John wrote:
replying to Chris Hogg , John wrote:
me wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:06:36 +0000, Chris French I also have a Lidl RC
clock that gets it's time signal from Frankfurt. It's an Auriol IAN
100706. Big flat round face, two rectangular windows, wall-hanging,
displays time, day, date, week no., temperature and moon phase. Yours
may be different. Somewhere in the instructions or set-up routine
there's an option to set the time zone. Just found whe page 9. As
they say, when all else fails, read the instructions. :-) -- Chris

There are hundreds of these being sold from today - and they're all wrong
by an hour. The intructions for this clock make no mention of any means
of adjusting it by an hour, and Lidl themselves say they're getting loads
of complaints - but have no answer beyond a refund.

They're either very stupid or just assume their customers are stupid
enough to put up with defective clocks.

You would have thought by now, they would have a rotary "offset hours" knob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 12:28, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

Do their cows tell the time, then?

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2015 12:06, Chris French wrote:

Thing is, it's it sets itself an hour fast. Instructions say it uses the
DCF77 signal from Mainflingen in Germany, which presumably is giving
time in CET (GMT+1). Now I don't really know how the system works, but
the clocks obviously don't know where in the world they are so
presumably are set to pickup a specific signal.

The aldi/lidl clocks often have a UK/CET switch to set the time zone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:19:32 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 21/12/2015 12:28, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

That's illogical. Farmers work whenever it's light. The number on the clock is irrelevant.

--
If only women came with pull-down menus and on-line help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:19:32 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 21/12/2015 12:28, Mr Macaw wrote:

The 1966 thing is what we need. Summer doesn't matter what time it
is, there's loads of light. Winter has not enough light, particularly
in the evening. So we want the clocks FORWARDS not backwards in
winter. Might aswell leave them forwards as summer doesn't matter
then we don't have to bother changing the clocks.

Apparently most English want the above, but not Scots for some reason?

Scottish farmers, if I remember correctly.

Since when did Scots farmers outnumber everyone else in the UK?

--
The reason people sweat is so that they won't catch fire when having sex.