Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2015 20:49, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

RTFM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 November 2015 20:49:19 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fuse.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

You don't. You buy a wireless one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

You don't. You buy a wireless one.

And those ****s, whose parents deny they do any wrong, steal the push button
from your door and make your life misery by transmitting from a distance
sometimes even from within their own homes.

Anyone want a wireless doorbell reciver (Westminster Chime) going cheap?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

You don't. You buy a wireless one.

And those ****s, whose parents deny they do any wrong, steal the push button
from your door and make your life misery by transmitting from a distance
sometimes even from within their own homes.

Anyone want a wireless doorbell reciver (Westminster Chime) going cheap?

They are the work of Satan (generally). Both my immediate neighbours have
them. They hardly ever work. Useless for uPVC door frames (which nobody
seems to warn prospective purchasers about). Then, when they don't work,
you have two batteries to faff about with to make it work again.

Wired doorbell every time for me.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

You don't. You buy a wireless one.

And those ****s, whose parents deny they do any wrong, steal the push button
from your door and make your life misery by transmitting from a distance
sometimes even from within their own homes.

Anyone want a wireless doorbell reciver (Westminster Chime) going cheap?

They are the work of Satan (generally). Both my immediate neighbours have
them. They hardly ever work. Useless for uPVC door frames (which nobody
seems to warn prospective purchasers about). Then, when they don't work,
you have two batteries to faff about with to make it work again.

Wired doorbell every time for me.

Tim

+1. Wireless guarantees you'll miss visitors.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

You don't. You buy a wireless one.

And those ****s, whose parents deny they do any wrong, steal the push
button from your door and make your life misery by transmitting from
a distance sometimes even from within their own homes.

Anyone want a wireless doorbell reciver (Westminster Chime) going
cheap?

They are the work of Satan (generally). Both my immediate neighbours
have them. They hardly ever work. Useless for uPVC door frames (which
nobody seems to warn prospective purchasers about). Then, when they
don't work,
you have two batteries to faff about with to make it work again.

Wired doorbell every time for me.

Tim

+1. Wireless guarantees you'll miss visitors.

Same here. But no mains and no battery either (sort of). The button pulls
an input on an Arduino that then tells the PBX to ring all the phones
with a 'special' ring (as I mentioned before). USB powered!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2015 20:49, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

If you have to ask, the answer must be "with great care"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 November 2015 00:01:42 UTC, wrote:
On 20/11/2015 20:49, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

If you have to ask, the answer must be "with great care"

the question is too vague... the op must be quite clueless

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 20 November 2015 20:49:19 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fuse.

Or a direct connection to a lighting circuit. If handy.

--
*Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2015 00:03, wrote:
On Saturday, 21 November 2015 00:01:42 UTC, wrote:
On 20/11/2015 20:49, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

If you have to ask, the answer must be "with great care"

the question is too vague... the op must be quite clueless

More milk tibbles?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes
Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

You don't. You buy a wireless one.

Argh! Yes, we have a wireless door bell which is filed under U for
Useless. The signal will not pass our granite walls. The only way to
use it is to have the bell so close to the door we could hear someone
outside without the poxy bell!
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2015 20:49, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

I would use one or more slender, stringlike pieces or filaments of
relatively rigid or flexible metal, circular in section, woven or
twisted together and insulated with a dielectric material.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2015 07:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/11/2015 20:49, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

I would use one or more slender, stringlike pieces or filaments of
relatively rigid or flexible metal, circular in section, woven or
twisted together and insulated with a dielectric material.

Bill

So no use of (additional) ceramics then.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What kind of question is that. I'm tempted to suggest RTFM!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've always fancied one of those mechanical door bells you used to see in
UpstairsDownstairs with brass plungers and bits of string and pulleys and
stuff. I wonder if anyone makes them?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 20/11/2015 20:49, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

I would use one or more slender, stringlike pieces or filaments of
relatively rigid or flexible metal, circular in section, woven or twisted
together and insulated with a dielectric material.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2015 08:48, Brian-Gaff wrote:
What kind of question is that. I'm tempted to suggest RTFM!
Brian

Unfortunately I don't have a copy handy.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 21/11/2015 08:48, Brian-Gaff wrote:
What kind of question is that. I'm tempted to suggest RTFM!
Brian

Unfortunately I don't have a copy handy.

If only someone would invent a way of searching the Internet... ;-)

Try this site.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic...land/Index.htm

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 November 2015 08:55:35 UTC, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I've always fancied one of those mechanical door bells you used to see in
UpstairsDownstairs with brass plungers and bits of string and pulleys and
stuff. I wonder if anyone makes them?

No pulleys.
Where do you suppose the term "bell crank" comes from?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellcrank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 20 November 2015 20:49:19 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fuse.

Or a direct connection to a lighting circuit. If handy.

That might be the easiest to arrange. The other one I have just connects
to the fuse box very likely to one of the lighting circuit fuses. But it
was installed sometime ago so I was wondering if any new standards have
been introduced in the meantime.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/15 09:18, Michael Chare wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 20 November 2015 20:49:19 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fuse.

Or a direct connection to a lighting circuit. If handy.

That might be the easiest to arrange. The other one I have just connects
to the fuse box very likely to one of the lighting circuit fuses. But it
was installed sometime ago so I was wondering if any new standards have
been introduced in the meantime.

Chugger and survey detection is a recent thing. Ye need a metal
discriminator circuit for clipboard carrying verification, and a high
voltage supply (IP67 negative) for the metal work of the bell push...

--
Not Me

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 01:13:46 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Saturday, 21 November 2015 08:55:35 UTC, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I've always fancied one of those mechanical door bells you used to see in
UpstairsDownstairs with brass plungers and bits of string and pulleys and
stuff. I wonder if anyone makes them?

No pulleys.
Where do you suppose the term "bell crank" comes from?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellcrank

Plenty of set ups had pulleys as well, look on the various
architectural salvage sites or Ebay for example.

Harry, Where the term Bell End comes from.

Harry
" Benefits is paid to ******* who are either thick or idle.
With the possible exception of some disabled."

Got your Winter Fuel Payment yet Harry?

You thick idle Tosser.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Church bells? Quasimodo? He was a bit of a crank?
No I'm sure there was some pulleys as well.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"harry" wrote in message
On Saturday, 21 November 2015 08:55:35 UTC, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I've always fancied one of those mechanical door bells you used to see in
UpstairsDownstairs with brass plungers and bits of string and pulleys
and
stuff. I wonder if anyone makes them?

No pulleys.
Where do you suppose the term "bell crank" comes from?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellcrank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

You don't. You buy a wireless one.

And those ****s, whose parents deny they do any wrong, steal the push
button from your door and make your life misery by transmitting from a
distance sometimes even from within their own homes.

Anyone want a wireless doorbell reciver (Westminster Chime) going cheap?

They are the work of Satan (generally). Both my immediate neighbours have
them. They hardly ever work. Useless for uPVC door frames (which nobody
seems to warn prospective purchasers about). Then, when they don't work,
you have two batteries to faff about with to make it work again.

Wired doorbell every time for me.

How about buying adecent make? Mine works well allowing bells in different
points in the house and one I can take into the garden.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 November 2015 00:19:26 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fus

Or a direct connection to a lighting circuit. If handy.

I like to have some way of easily disabling the doorbell for halloween etc

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 November 2015 08:55:35 UTC, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I've always fancied one of those mechanical door bells you used to see in
UpstairsDownstairs with brass plungers and bits of string and pulleys and
stuff. I wonder if anyone makes them?

Yes. Often called a butler's bell.

http://www.blackcountrymetalworks.co...l-hardware.htm

http://www.inbrass.co.uk/acatalog/Be...l_systems.html

Someone I know still has the 19th-century original in their flat.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
I've always fancied one of those mechanical door bells you used to see
in UpstairsDownstairs with brass plungers and bits of string and
pulleys and stuff. I wonder if anyone makes them?

Well, if installing a proper mains bell with cables is too much trouble
for most on here...

And then you'd have to educate the delivery men on how to use it. Might be
difficult since some don't seem to know how to use a bell push. ;-)

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 20 November 2015 20:49:19 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fuse.

Or a direct connection to a lighting circuit. If handy.

That might be the easiest to arrange. The other one I have just connects
to the fuse box very likely to one of the lighting circuit fuses. But it
was installed sometime ago so I was wondering if any new standards have
been introduced in the meantime.

I've not seen a new one, but my 30 year old one has an internal fuse
anyway. So all the MCB or whatever has to protect is the wiring to it.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
IME, batteries in doorbells are a pain. The batteries corrode
and the contacts tarnish which gives you a permanent ongoing maintenance
problem. Just the same problems as battery operated thermostats,
wireless or otherwise. A mains operated doorbell is a fit and forget
operation. Ours was here when we arrived and apart from a new bell push,
has operated faultlessly since the house was built in 1973.

Quite. I'd never use battery or wireless anything unless there is a good
reason to do so.

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 21 November 2015 00:19:26 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?
1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fus

Or a direct connection to a lighting circuit. If handy.

I like to have some way of easily disabling the doorbell for halloween
etc

Then they'd just bang on the door. ;-)

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2015 09:13, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
On 21/11/2015 08:48, Brian-Gaff wrote:
What kind of question is that. I'm tempted to suggest RTFM!
Brian

Unfortunately I don't have a copy handy.

If only someone would invent a way of searching the Internet... ;-)

Try this site.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technic...land/Index.htm

Tim

Great site! Played the doorbell sounds over and over until the dogs had
nervous breakdowns!

Bill

Door Bell Transformer DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 61 March 1st 14 08:45 AM
How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway? Danny D'Amico Electronics Repair 55 December 2nd 13 12:36 AM
Door Bell Transformer John UK diy 12 November 26th 10 02:11 PM
replacing door bell transformer Bill Green Home Repair 8 March 23rd 09 02:50 AM
disconnected door bell transformer bandito Electronics 4 December 10th 08 01:42 AM