Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default disconnected door bell transformer

Hi,

I had a breaker that was humming and would stop when I pushed on it.
So, I replaced it but, the humming got louder (like there was
something definitely wrong) and there was no sound level deviation
when I pushed on it. It seamed clearly that the noise was now coming
from the door bell transformer. If I held the door bell transformer
the noise would diminish although still evident. Since the door bell
is not being used I disconnected the black wire that came from the
breaker I had just replaced, put a marret on it and the noise
stopped. My question is, is this sufficient and safe or should I also
disconnect the white wire that is connecting to the bar above the
breakers?

Thanks,

Bandito
Posted to alt.electronics

bandito wrote:
[...]If I held the door bell transformer[,]
the noise would diminish although still evident.
Since the door bell is not being used[,]
I disconnected the black wire that came from the breaker
I had just replaced, put a marret on it and the noise stopped.
My question is, is this sufficient and safe

Yup.
One hopes you did this where it is evident and easily accessible
(and that you left a note in the panel
for the next poor sap that has to work on things).

or should I also disconnect the white wire
that is connecting to the bar above the breakers?

Nope.

When you have a question about transistorized gear,
_that_ would be "electronic";
*electrical* (house) wiring is discussed in
alt.engineering.electrical and alt.home.repair.
Posted to alt.electronics

On Dec 8, 6:53*pm, JeffM wrote:
bandito wrote:
[...]If I held the door bell transformer[,]
the noise would diminish although still evident.
Since the door bell is not being used[,]
I disconnected the black wire that came from the breaker
I had just replaced, put a marret on it and the noise stopped.
My question is, is this sufficient and safe

Yup.
One hopes you did this where it is evident and easily accessible
(and that you left a note in the panel
for the next poor sap that has to work on things).

or should I also disconnect the white wire
that is connecting to the bar above the breakers?

Nope.

When you have a question about transistorized gear,
_that_ would be "electronic";
*electrical* (house) wiring is discussed in
alt.engineering.electrical and alt.home.repair.

Just out of curiosity, why is it ok to disconnect the black wire and
not the white wire??
Posted to alt.electronics

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:22:26 -0800 (PST), bandito
wrote:

On Dec 8, 6:53*pm, JeffM wrote:
bandito wrote:
[...]

---
According to US code, the black wire is 'hot' and is the voltage source,
(black being the color of death) while white is the return, and should
be close to zero volts, always.

If you disconnect the white wire from the primary of the transformer,
the earth connection will be broken and charge will no longer flow in
the primary, which will result in no output from the secondary.

However, the voltage source will still be connected to the primary,
which could lead to disastrous circumstances if one thought it was safe
to muck about in the equipment after the humming stopped.

JF
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:
On Dec 8, 6:53*pm, JeffM wrote:
bandito wrote:
[...]

I think I got it. So if the black was connected and the white was not
there would still be power in the transformer and someone could get
hurt if they touch the transformer the wrong way however if the black
is disconnected and the white is still connected any charge would
travel down the white wire making it safe.

Makes practical sense.

replacing door bell transformer Bill Green Home Repair 8 March 23rd 09 02:50 AM
Door bell Terry Home Repair 10 August 23rd 07 04:06 PM
Door bell problem [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 27th 06 02:28 PM
Cordless Door Bell David Lang UK diy 15 August 9th 05 01:26 PM
Need to modify door bell Brent Home Repair 10 December 30th 03 11:19 PM