Brent

Default Need to modify door bell

The plastic around the winding and plunger in my door bell melted when
the door bell button got stuck in while I was gone. The button is 2
years old. I can get another, but it could easily happen again. It
seems like it could be a fire hazard too.

Is there any kind of mod I can do to keep the bell from melting again
if the button sticks? Something I could add that would make the bell
go ahead and complete it's 'ding-dong sequence' when the bell is
pressed, instead of waiting until the button is released before it
'dongs'?
George E. Cawthon

Why look for a hard solution? The problem is the door bell
sticks! So, replace the door bell. I just replaced our
door bell with a $10 unit (door bell, 2 push buttons, and
transformer) from Lowes (the dong of ding-dong quit
working). The push buttons are very heavy duty with
virtually no possibility of sticking.

Brent wrote:

The plastic around the winding and plunger in my door bell melted when
the door bell button got stuck in while I was gone. The button is 2
years old. I can get another, but it could easily happen again. It
seems like it could be a fire hazard too.

Is there any kind of mod I can do to keep the bell from melting again
if the button sticks? Something I could add that would make the bell
go ahead and complete it's 'ding-dong sequence' when the bell is
pressed, instead of waiting until the button is released before it
'dongs'?

Joseph Meehan

I suggest you replace the bell and the buttons, try to find quality
buttons. If you are really worried, I suggest fusing the low voltage
circuit. Measure the current when activated and find an proper sized slow
blow fuse device to add to the low voltage side of the supply transformer.
That should allow normal operation, but if a button sticks again (a rather
rare event in my experience) it should blow and protect the circuit.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Brent" wrote in message
The plastic around the winding and plunger in my door bell melted when
the door bell button got stuck in while I was gone. The button is 2
years old. I can get another, but it could easily happen again. It
seems like it could be a fire hazard too.

Is there any kind of mod I can do to keep the bell from melting again
if the button sticks? Something I could add that would make the bell
go ahead and complete it's 'ding-dong sequence' when the bell is
pressed, instead of waiting until the button is released before it
'dongs'?

HA HA Budys Here

So rare in fact this is the first time I ever heard it happen!

Brent

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:05:15 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

I suggest you replace the bell and the buttons, try to find quality
buttons. If you are really worried, I suggest fusing the low voltage
circuit. Measure the current when activated and find an proper sized slow
blow fuse device to add to the low voltage side of the supply transformer.
That should allow normal operation, but if a button sticks again (a rather
rare event in my experience) it should blow and protect the circuit.

OK. It seems the best solution is to install a fuse.
As far as finding quality buttons, I'm unsure what a quality door bell
button would look like. I thought the one I bought was a quality
button.

Frogleg

Brent wrote:

The plastic around the winding and plunger in my door bell melted when
the door bell button got stuck in while I was gone. The button is 2
years old. I can get another, but it could easily happen again. It
seems like it could be a fire hazard too.

My (ancient) doorbell failed shortly after I moved into my house 26
years ago. Ghostly ringing when no one was there. So I disconnected
it. An electrician failed to find the fault, somewhere between the
back and front doors and 40-yr-old (then) wiring. I have a brass
door-knocker on the front door, and friends and neighbors know to make
a noise when they visit. However, door-to-door salespeople,
solicitors, and cruising religious just pass without disturbing me.

I cannot identify *any* occasion when I have suffered from from having
no doorbell. YMMV.
Zemedelec

My (ancient) doorbell failed shortly after I moved into my house .... So I
disconnected
it. ... I have a brass
door-knocker on the front door, and friends and neighbors know to make
a noise when they visit. However, door-to-door salespeople,
solicitors, and cruising religious just pass without disturbing me.

I cannot identify *any* occasion when I have suffered from from having
no doorbell.

I have a somewhat similar arrangement. The old doorbell had a horrible sound,
so I disconnected it. Now what? Turned oout to be a two-peace electronic
doorbell half of which I hung on a nail outside my door, half of which resides
in my kitchen. When I really don't want to be bothered I just lift the outside
part off the nail...

Maybe, last week your ship came in but no one answered the doorbell!

Hey, you never know!

BRBR

zemedelec