Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default How to connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

Graham. wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:58:04 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, 20 November 2015 20:49:19 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fuse.

Owain

Mine goes directly into the CU to a 6A breaker, the transformer is
protected by its own 1A fuse.
It can't be very efficient, I could replace it with a socket and a
plug-in SMPS, I've plenty of 12V 2A units for CCTV/LED ribbon
lighting.

Lot to be said for batteries in conventional doorbells. The usage pattern
means that they last for years and years and years and years....
Seriously, hardly seems worth the bother and extra wiring involved unless
you want a light up bell push.

Tim