Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT carrier bag charge

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 13:11:16 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Monday, 12 October 2015 19:34:50 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

but they don't bio-degrade, which is OK if they are a bag for life.
So now I don;t get the reclclye bags for free I buy bin liners
whcih aren't reclclyable.

Bin bags are recyclable (in fact some are even made out of recycled
material)

Not all are. If tehyb were we wouldn't need to worry about carrier bags
would we.

which ones?

the 10 to 30p ones

Those are recyclable, they are made of polythene like the cheap bags (I
think the thin cheap bags tend to be LDPE - recycling code 2 and the
stronger bags and din bags etc. HDPE - code 4 but both are recyclable.

and those cooler bags.

Maybe, the outside should be ok, don't know what's in the middle.

and most bags that frozen stuff coming it like fruit and veg you store
in the freezer these shouldn't be out in the recylebin even if they are
classed as plastic.

Well, they aren't carrier bags, but why not (unless too dirty, but
frozen stuff normally isn't)? They are normally polythene, just like
carrier bags - in fact some nowadays say on the back to put with carrier
bags for recycling.

Ours can go in the recycling bin as well.

Other plastics depends on the borough.

Indeed, ours has been gradually increasing the plastics they take. We
can now pretty much put all general household plastic packaging waste
in ours. Plastics bags and films etc is a pretty recent addition though.

I'd don't think I've had any that aren't polythene and so potentially
recyclable, of course the life of a bin bag is normally to be filled
with rubbish and end up in in rubbish lorry/incinerated, landfill etc.

Is it better to use recyleable and bio-degradable bags in landfill or
doesn;t it matter.

Well recyclable won't make any difference if it is the ground. Whilst
biodegradble bags in theory should gradually biodegrade and disappear,
in reality, the anaerobic conditions in landfill tend to mean that
things that can biodegrade take longer than normal.

TBh, once a bags in in landfill, it make little difference AFAICS - the
energy and resources to make it etc. have been consumed .

Of course what actually gets into landfill in less and less even of the
general waste we through out. lots of places do a lot of processing and
sorting of the waste first, so as to minimise the amount that goes to
landfill.

Around here, the waste goes to a modern plant, as much of the
recyclable stuff as possible is taken out, it's composted down so that
the material that will biodegrade can do so. So it might be that plastic
bags that get into the 'landfill' waste stream don't necessarily make it
landfill.

you do knbow what they mean by 5p for a single use plastic bag don't you.

Yes., what point are you making?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WaterLoo is a pretty busy part of London and includes a station. Perhaps
what it is best known for by many.

Kinks and Abba, surely? :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 20:03:33 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
[...]

I would assume the stronger bags contain more plastic which is why as the free bags got thinner, staff advise shoppers to use two for strengh free bags.
SO now I buy a 5p bag and bin liner to line my bin.
Where previously I'd use a free bag. I'm hoping the 5p bags are recyclable.

and most bags that frozen stuff coming it like fruit and veg you store
in the freezer these shouldn't be out in the recylebin even if they are
classed as plastic.

Well, they aren't carrier bags, but why not (unless too dirty, but
frozen stuff normally isn't)?

because they contain toxins, same as certain types of plpastic foil and if put in the same recycle bin can cause proplems back at the recycle centre.

They are normally polythene, just like
carrier bags - in fact some nowadays say on the back to put with carrier
bags for recycling.

Only if you can be bothered taking it back to thre supermarket.
such as

cling film, don;t think cat food pouches or bubble wrap can be recycled,
crisp packets too that annoys me as I can get thropugh quite a few, you';d have thpught it would be possible wouldn;t you. The film on microwave meals..
Some lids can't be recycled while others can.

Ours can go in the recycling bin as well.

hope you're not screwing up their system.

Other plastics depends on the borough.

Indeed, ours has been gradually increasing the plastics they take. We
can now pretty much put all general household plastic packaging waste
in ours. Plastics bags and films etc is a pretty recent addition though.

we have 3 types of bin black, brown and green.
black no recycleable, green recyclable plastics paper glass, brown if form organic stuff. I rang the centre adn was told that my CD and DVD cases of which I have quite a number to displose of werent; recyalable so had to go in the black bin.

I'd don't think I've had any that aren't polythene and so potentially
recyclable, of course the life of a bin bag is normally to be filled
with rubbish and end up in in rubbish lorry/incinerated, landfill etc.

Is it better to use recyleable and bio-degradable bags in landfill or
doesn;t it matter.

Well recyclable won't make any difference if it is the ground.

So they don't want you to put the free recyclable bags in landfill
so where do they go ?
SO you don't supply them so people buy bin bags liners to put in landfill.
and shop with the 30p bags they remmebr to take back to the supermarket, which they don;t and end up throwing out anyway all it deos is cost them 5p more which isn;t a lot when yuo;'re already having to buy bin liners that youm never brought before as yuo din;t want to increase the amount of plastic that went to landfill.

TBh, once a bags in in landfill, it make little difference AFAICS - the
energy and resources to make it etc. have been consumed .

So we know plastic bags will end up in landfill and I'd have throught the thinner ones would be less damaging but this may depend on the quantity.

Of course what actually gets into landfill in less and less even of the
general waste we through out. lots of places do a lot of processing and
sorting of the waste first, so as to minimise the amount that goes to
landfill.

yes so would it really matter what the bags were made off. Make them metal and they wouldn;t be thrown away, they'd be collected for scrap.
Of course I remmeber going out buying a bottle of fizzy drink and being able to get 5p back for sweets when I took the bottle back, now it;'s better to have it in a recycable bottle that gets dunped is the best option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2015 12:36, whisky-dave wrote:

I would assume the stronger bags contain more plastic which is why as the free bags got thinner, staff advise shoppers to use two for strengh free bags.
SO now I buy a 5p bag and bin liner to line my bin.
Where previously I'd use a free bag. I'm hoping the 5p bags are recyclable.

The supermarket 5p bags are the same ones you got before.
If need a bag i buy the 6p bag for life in asda on the days they aren't
free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 15:35:33 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/10/2015 12:36, whisky-dave wrote:

I would assume the stronger bags contain more plastic which is why as the free bags got thinner, staff advise shoppers to use two for strengh free bags.
SO now I buy a 5p bag and bin liner to line my bin.
Where previously I'd use a free bag. I'm hoping the 5p bags are recyclable.

The supermarket 5p bags are the same ones you got before.

No they are NOT, Not even close.

If need a bag i buy the 6p bag for life in asda on the days they aren't
free.

as I say I don't know if there's a time stamp on these bags.
I don;t think the 5p ones are bags for life.
The bags for life are the ones with handles that are attached to the bag rather than part of teh bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2015 16:40, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 15:35:33 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/10/2015 12:36, whisky-dave wrote:

I would assume the stronger bags contain more plastic which is why as the free bags got thinner, staff advise shoppers to use two for strengh free bags.
SO now I buy a 5p bag and bin liner to line my bin.
Where previously I'd use a free bag. I'm hoping the 5p bags are recyclable.

The supermarket 5p bags are the same ones you got before.

No they are NOT, Not even close.

They are in tesco, morrisons, and adsa and probably are in sainsburys.

If need a bag i buy the 6p bag for life in asda on the days they aren't
free.

as I say I don't know if there's a time stamp on these bags.
I don;t think the 5p ones are bags for life.

No they are the same ones you got for free as I said above and you
disagreed with.

The bags for life are the ones with handles that are attached to the bag rather than part of teh bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave writes
On Wednesday, 14 October 2015 15:35:33 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 14/10/2015 12:36, whisky-dave wrote:

I would assume the stronger bags contain more plastic which is why
as the free bags got thinner, staff advise shoppers to use two for
strengh free bags.
SO now I buy a 5p bag and bin liner to line my bin.
Where previously I'd use a free bag. I'm hoping the 5p bags are recyclable.

The supermarket 5p bags are the same ones you got before.

No they are NOT, Not even close.

If need a bag i buy the 6p bag for life in asda on the days they aren't
free.

as I say I don't know if there's a time stamp on these bags.
I don;t think the 5p ones are bags for life.
The bags for life are the ones with handles that are attached to the
bag rather than part of teh bag.

Sainsburys 5p ones ARE bags for life. They are made thicker than the
spec for the "use once" bags and so they are not obliged to pay anything
to "charities".
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 14/10/2015 21:30, bert wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave writes
[...]

Not the cheapest supermarket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 20:03:33 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:

Talking about bags for things like frozen peas etc.

They are normally polythene, just like
carrier bags - in fact some nowadays say on the back to put with carrier
bags for recycling.

Only if you can be bothered taking it back to thre supermarket.
such as

cling film, don;t think cat food pouches or bubble wrap can be recycled,
crisp packets too that annoys me as I can get thropugh quite a few,
you';d have thpught it would be possible wouldn;t you. The film on
microwave meals.
Some lids can't be recycled while others can.

Ours can go in the recycling bin as well.

hope you're not screwing up their system.

Nope, as I said, it can go in the recycling bin.

Current plastics list for ours is:

Plastic - Plastic packaging including cling film, bread bags and carrier
bags, including Bottles, Yoghurt pots, Margarine or spread tubs, Ice
cream tubs, Trays from chocolate and biscuit boxes, Trays from meat,
vegetables and fruit, Clean plant pots, Bottle tops, lids and triggers,
Sandwich packets, Cream and custard pots, Soup pots, Instant Noodle
pots, Tubs for dishwasher and laundry tablets -

Other plastics depends on the borough.

Indeed, ours has been gradually increasing the plastics they take. We
can now pretty much put all general household plastic packaging waste
in ours. Plastics bags and films etc is a pretty recent addition though.

we have 3 types of bin black, brown and green.
black no recycleable, green recyclable plastics paper glass, brown if
form organic stuff. I rang the centre adn was told that my CD and DVD
cases of which I have quite a number to displose of werent; recyalable
so had to go in the black bin.

Like I said, most general household plastic packaging, I don't think
they would go in ours either - not sure though, might be made of
polystrene, and certainly some packaging that is PS can go in ours..
Though we do have skips at the household waste places for hard plastics
- intended for bulking stuff moslty, and they might go in there, can't
remember which goes ina nd which doesn't

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2015 21:30, bert wrote:

Sainsburys 5p ones ARE bags for life. They are made thicker than the
spec for the "use once" bags and so they are not obliged to pay anything
to "charities".

None of them have to pay the charge to charities, the law says too
charge for them and doesn't say where the money has to go.

The last lot of bags I had in Sainsbury were the normal thin orange ones
and they are not bags for life.

Fast charge vs. regular charge Michael Mud Electronics Repair 11 July 17th 14 04:34 AM
Old 2-ton Carrier AC alextexsuarez Home Repair 3 October 9th 09 01:37 AM
Old 2-ton Carrier AC alextexsuarez Home Repair 0 October 8th 09 09:21 PM
Which Carrier? as4603 Home Repair 5 August 27th 05 11:04 PM
standard charge or quick charge for nicads? Minty Electronics 2 July 16th 03 03:11 PM