Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT carrier bag charge

On 08/10/15 15:13, bert wrote:

That's what I object to - where the 5p goes. This charge is a tax
designed to change behaviour and as such should go to hard pressed local
councils to provide better services. I do not like being charged a
compulsory donation to so-called charities, large companies who enjoy
tax perks and exemption from employment laws, claim to be
"not-for-profit" when they are, pay chief executives more than the prime
minister but expect their shop assistants to work for nothing and harass
the vulnerable to extort money.

And to everyone in Wales and Scotland who says: "we've had this system
for ages and no one notices".

Well, ******** to you lot! This is England and we know how to eff
something up.

Screwfix today: Collecting online order. Bloke says: sorry, I have to
either empty it out the bad, or charge you 5p.

Charge me 5p, I said. So some amount of faffing about that took some
minutes happened. Then he accidentally charged me for 2 bags. More
faffing refunding.

That added a good 5 minutes to the transaction.

M&S - self service checkout. No bags. They'd hidden them.

It's all ******** - I'm ****ed off with it already.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes
On 07/10/15 19:25, tim..... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news On 06/10/15 00:25, Fredxxx wrote:
On 05/10/2015 22:48, Bill Wright wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
OK, where can I buy carrier bags for less than 5 pence ? Our free
supply of kitchen bin bags has ended !
Simon.

Apparently we can expect a doubling of cases of food poisoning as a
result of this stupid idea.

Why?

He's thinking of fresh meat/fish getting thrown into a reusable bag
with everything else.

However, bags are free for that type of product.

But the whole thing seems like a stupid waste of time in comparison to
the other problems we face (lack of effective policing, deaths on the
road, looming energy crisis, migrant problem).

but charging each migrant 5p isn't going to solve that problem, is it?

tim

If you give the 5p's to me, it'll solve my problems! :0

That's what I object to - where the 5p goes. This charge is a tax designed
to change behaviour and as such should go to hard pressed local councils
to provide better services. I do not like being charged a compulsory
donation to so-called charities, large companies who enjoy tax perks and
exemption from employment laws, claim to be "not-for-profit" when they
are, pay chief executives more than the prime minister but expect their
shop assistants to work for nothing and harass the vulnerable to extort
money.

ITYF however well founded your view you are in a very small minority.

The majority view is likely to be one that says the charge is palatable
specifically because the money goes to charity instead of being a tax.

BICBW

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 16:46:17 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

How does it being a Charity make it NOT 5p.
Makes you wonder who's paying fopr teh bags, only 5p yes but it means I have
to remmeber to take a bag each time, and buy bags which I wouldn;t have had to buy before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 16:57, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 16:46:17 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Buy a bag for life, it's not rocket surgery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 16:46:17 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

It doesn't

But the PP said he'd be happier about that 5p if it went to his local
council rather than a charity.

That was the point I was answering

Makes you wonder who's paying for the bags,

people who don't give a ****

only 5p yes but it means I have to remember to take a bag each time,

Oh dear, what a problem to have (wanna swap - you can have the 185/130 BP
instead if you like)

and buy bags which I wouldn't have had to buy before.

Doesn't life suck. As it goes on there will be an increasing amount of
things that you have to buy that you didn't before

One day it will be incontinence pads, can't wait!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 16:57, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 16:46:17 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Buy a bag for life,

And remember to insist on a new one each time you're in the store because
"you've forgotten the old one"

That is how it works, isn't it?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 17:13, tim..... wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 16:57, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 16:46:17 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Not with us. We have several ordinary strong shopping bags and they live
in the boot of our car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

As nearly all charities are a scam but few people understand this, I fear
that you could be correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message

That's what I object to - where the 5p goes. This charge is a tax
designed to change behaviour and as such should go to hard pressed
local councils to provide better services. I do not like being charged
a compulsory donation to so-called charities, large companies who enjoy
tax perks and exemption from employment laws, claim to be
"not-for-profit" when they are, pay chief executives more than the
prime minister but expect their shop assistants to work for nothing and
harass the vulnerable to extort money.

So take a ****ing bag with you, for gawd's sakes... It's not hard, is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

+1

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 17:13, tim..... wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 16:57, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 16:46:17 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

shouldn't you be taking then into the shop with you?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bod
writes

Not with us. We have several ordinary strong shopping bags and they live
in the boot of our car.

About time to reintroduce plastic net bags. They were small enough to
keep in a pocket.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 08/10/15 16:46, tim..... wrote:

That's what I object to - where the 5p goes. This charge is a tax
designed to change behaviour and as such should go to hard pressed
local councils to provide better services. I do not like being charged
a compulsory donation to so-called charities, large companies who
enjoy tax perks and exemption from employment laws, claim to be
"not-for-profit" when they are, pay chief executives more than the
prime minister but expect their shop assistants to work for nothing
and harass the vulnerable to extort money.

ITYF however well founded your view you are in a very small minority.

The majority view is likely to be one that says the charge is palatable
specifically because the money goes to charity instead of being a tax.

I might not mind the charge for bags much, I am used to being charged
for bags when in Italy etc. But I do object to giving money to
'charity'. So perhaps for me the incentive works in a perverse way: I
bring my own bag just to avoid there being any involuntary donation to
'charity'.

--
DJC
(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 20:27, ARW wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Then take your own proper shopping bags and you won't have to pay a
penny extra. How difficult is that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bod wrote:

take your own proper shopping bags and you won't have to pay a
penny extra. How difficult is that.

Not difficult perhaps, just not part of the habit. I stacked a dozen
bags for life onto the passenger seat on Sunday night and only
remembered to take one into the shops about half the times so far ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2015 07:48, Andy Burns wrote:
Bod wrote:

take your own proper shopping bags and you won't have to pay a
penny extra. How difficult is that.

Not difficult perhaps, just not part of the habit. I stacked a dozen
bags for life onto the passenger seat on Sunday night and only
remembered to take one into the shops about half the times so far ...

I bet you'll soon get into the habit of taking more bags in with you
once you re-adjust to your new habit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts explained on 07/10/2015 :
Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag than they
used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags for some time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Our local Tesco seemed to be giving away a substantially stronger bag
on Monday, as an alternative to paying 5p for a thin throw away one.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 17:00:01 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 08/10/2015 16:57, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 16:46:17 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

They are to big and awkward for my pocket.

I lost a sainsbury bag last night, as the train pulled into stratford
and the train gave birth to me[1], the bag in my pocket must have caught on something and it stayed on the train, I wasnt; going back for it.

[1] only those that have got in or got off a busy tube train will understand this. (but overground rail passengers might also understand)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 20:52:21 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:

Not with us. We have several ordinary strong shopping bags and they live
in the boot of our car.

shouldn't you be taking then into the shop with you?

tim

wow now there's a good idea.
I wonder if I had a car and kept a bicycle in teh boot, would I be able to use the CS2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/15 12:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim Watts explained on 07/10/2015 :
Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag
than they used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags
for some time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Our local Tesco seemed to be giving away a substantially stronger bag on
Monday, as an alternative to paying 5p for a thin throw away one.

Yes - just what is it with the 70 micron thing?

Oh:

"plastic and 70 microns thick or less"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-...sponsibilities

So they can give away heavy bags for free that really will hang around
forever, but they have to charge for lightweight biodegradable ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 October 2015 15:24:35 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/10/15 12:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim Watts explained on 07/10/2015 :
Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag
than they used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags
for some time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Our local Tesco seemed to be giving away a substantially stronger bag on
Monday, as an alternative to paying 5p for a thin throw away one.

Yes - just what is it with the 70 micron thing?

Oh:

"plastic and 70 microns thick or less"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-...sponsibilities

So they can give away heavy bags for free that really will hang around
forever, but they have to charge for lightweight biodegradable ones.

So which sort of bags are best enviroment wise. The bags for life don;t last for life, the last one I had they took back and I assume disposed off I doubt they bothered reparing it. The gave me a replacement for free.

So is it better to have a lot of bio bags that degrade or a few no bio that dont; degrade.

and remmebr kiddies when they sell you a bag for life they mean trhe life of the bag, if the handle breaks it;s dead and gets disposed of and you get a new bag, they are NOT magic bags, while they might last a few 1000 years in landfill they are NOT the solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bod" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 20:27, ARW wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

It was the bit about charities etc that I agreed with.

Bunch of scrounging gits the big ones.

I do work for a small charity where all volunteers work for free.

I am sure both Bert and myself are smart emough to take our own bags when
shopping.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
On 09/10/15 12:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim Watts explained on 07/10/2015 :
Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag
than they used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags
for some time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Our local Tesco seemed to be giving away a substantially stronger bag on
Monday, as an alternative to paying 5p for a thin throw away one.

Yes - just what is it with the 70 micron thing?

Oh:

"plastic and 70 microns thick or less"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-...sponsibilities

So they can give away heavy bags for free that really will hang around
forever, but they have to charge for lightweight biodegradable ones.

The standard supermarket bags are not bio-degradable
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
"Bod" wrote in message
On 08/10/2015 20:27, ARW wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Have been for quite a few years, but there are occasions when you do
just want a bag for one or two items. They then usually get saved and
used in the caravan as a bin bag.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 17:00:01 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 08/10/2015 16:57, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 8 October 2015 16:46:17 UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Tim Watts
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Get something with a bigger pocket.

I lost a sainsbury bag last night, as the train pulled
into stratford and the train gave birth to me[1], the
bag in my pocket must have caught on something
and it stayed on the train, I wasnt; going back for it.

Then get something with a better pocket.

[1] only those that have got in or got
off a busy tube train will understand this.

Bull****.

(but overground rail passengers might also understand)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Depends on how they are used.

The bags for life don;t last for life,

It's the life of the bag, stupid, not your life.

the last one I had they took back and I assume disposed off I doubt
they bothered reparing it. The gave me a replacement for free.

What matters is how many of them fail like that.

So is it better to have a lot of bio bags that degrade

Nope, because they don't degrade to nothing.

or a few no bio that dont; degrade.

A few that don't degrade if people keep using those.

and remmebr kiddies when they sell you a
bag for life they mean trhe life of the bag,

I just told you that.

if the handle breaks it;s dead and gets
disposed of and you get a new bag,

Still better than countless bags being
chucked wherever when they are still fine.

they are NOT magic bags,

You quite sure you ain't one of those rocket scientist drunken deros ?

while they might last a few 1000 years in landfill

They don't.

they are NOT the solution.

They can be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :
Tim Watts explained on 07/10/2015 :
Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag than
they used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags for some
time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Our local Tesco seemed to be giving away a substantially stronger bag on
Monday, as an alternative to paying 5p for a thin throw away one.

and yesterday, they had started charging 10p for the stronger bags.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :
Tim Watts explained on 07/10/2015 :
Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag
than they used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags
for some time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Our local Tesco seemed to be giving away a substantially stronger bag
on Monday, as an alternative to paying 5p for a thin throw away one.

and yesterday, they had started charging 10p for the stronger bags.

They normally do charge 10p for the stronger 'bag for life' bags.

Presumably the giving them away for a sort of promotion to encourage
people to have bags to bring back?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim Watts explained on 07/10/2015 :
Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag than they
used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags for some time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Our local Tesco seemed to be giving away a substantially stronger bag
on Monday, as an alternative to paying 5p for a thin throw away one.

Decided I needed some shopping last night when already out - so no bags
with me. Used a handy Tesco local. And was charged (as expected) 5p for a
bag. Of very much better quality than the old free ones. So got to
wondering if it will degrade as quickly as the old thin ones? If not, it
may not be quite as 'green' as it seems. Everyone in this busy Waterloo
store seemed to be buying a bag...

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
He's thinking of fresh meat/fish getting thrown into a reusable bag with
everything else.

Not going to be re-usable, then, if covered in blood? Or rather, not by
anyone with sense.

--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim Watts explained on 07/10/2015 :
Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag
than they
used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags for some
time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Our local Tesco seemed to be giving away a substantially stronger bag
on Monday, as an alternative to paying 5p for a thin throw away one.

Decided I needed some shopping last night
when already out - so no bags with me.

Trivially fixed by always having some in the car.

Not a shred of rocket science or union required.

Used a handy Tesco local. And was charged (as expected) 5p for
a bag. Of very much better quality than the old free ones. So got
to wondering if it will degrade as quickly as the old thin ones?

Since its basically the thickness that varys,
not the biodegradability, no reason why not.

If not, it may not be quite as 'green' as it seems.

But may be if the better quality once can be used
for later shopping.

Everyone in this busy Waterloo
store seemed to be buying a bag...

But its very early days yet, that sort of thing takes
a while to change consumer behaviour, it never
happens instantly on a change in the law.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 October 2015 00:10:02 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

so there's no such thing as environmentally frendly bags is there.

The bags for life don;t last for life,

It's the life of the bag, stupid, not your life.

and how long do these bags live.
The handle came deteched from the bag, so is it still 'alive'.

the last one I had they took back and I assume disposed off I doubt
they bothered reparing it. The gave me a replacement for free.

What matters is how many of them fail like that.

How long do those bags last them mine was less than twice.
It broke on the second journey home.

So is it better to have a lot of bio bags that degrade

Nope, because they don't degrade to nothing.

So how do you know whoich is best for the environment.

and remmebr kiddies when they sell you a
bag for life they mean trhe life of the bag,

I just told you that.

What is the life of the bag, for me it was two shopping trips.
The 'disposable' get's the shopping home then I resue then as rubbish bags
rather than buy the bin liners which as far as I know don't degrade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Decided I needed some shopping last night
when already out - so no bags with me.

Trivially fixed by always having some in the car.

Not a shred of rocket science or union required.

But a shred of a brain cell needed in your case - which is usually too
much to ask.

WaterLoo is a pretty busy part of London and includes a station. Perhaps
what it is best known for by many. That and the bridge.

So just why do you assume I went there by car?

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 October 2015 12:50:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Corse there is. Bags that get used for years and disposed of
properly by being recycled

how do you recycle non recyclabe bags ?

are much more environmentally
friendly than those which are only used one and discarded
anywhere.

but they don't bio-degrade, which is OK if they are a bag for life.
So now I don;t get the reclclye bags for free I buy bin liners
whcih aren't reclclyable. I do use the organic bin which has small bio-drgradble bags, which I buy.

and how long do these bags live.

Until they die.

so an average life of 2-3 weeks.

It broke on the second journey home.

Your problem. You should have got a better one.

There's a better bag than a bag for life ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes

but they don't bio-degrade, which is OK if they are a bag for life.
So now I don;t get the reclclye bags for free I buy bin liners
whcih aren't reclclyable.

Bin bags are recyclable (in fact some are even made out of recycled
material) - they are normally polythene, same as carrier bags. These can
all be recycled - we can even now put them in our general recycling
wheelie bin.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

There are no non recyclable bags. Everything
is recyclable, even your corpse, it can be used
filling in concrete once its been cremated or
used to feed the lions at the zoo if not cremated.

are much more environmentally friendly
than those which are only used one and
discarded anywhere.

but they don't bio-degrade, which is OK if they are
a bag for life. So now I don;t get the reclclye bags
for free I buy bin liners whcih aren't reclclyable.

Nothing to stop you getting biodegradable bin liners.

Or not using any bin liners at all.

I do use the organic bin which has
small bio-drgradble bags, which I buy.

and how long do these bags live.

Until they die.

so an average life of 2-3 weeks.

That is nothing even remotely like the average.

It broke on the second journey home.

Your problem. You should have got a better one.

There's a better bag than a bag for life ?

There's obviously a better bag than one that
has its handle break in just 2-3 weeks. None
of mine has ever lost its handle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 09:48:11 +0100, Chris French wrote:

Reusable bags are fine if you shop by car. They are even ok if you

deliberately set out to walk to the shops. But if you shop on the

way
home etc you tend to find yourself in a shop without a bag.

Yep, was "caught" without a bag 3 times over the weekend twice
shopping on the way home and at lunchtime buying a coffee, crisps and
sandwich. The last is the bigger PITA as I'd just nipped out to grab
it and my car was parked a mile away. No bags where I was working.

If not people will either stump up the 5p, or adjust their behaviour and
tend to have a bag stuffed somewhere

10 check/woven plastic shopping bags are winging their way to us as I
type, at least couple to be put into each car. Hope they are as good
as the half dozen I bought in 2008 that are still in service.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 October 2015 19:34:50 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

but they don't bio-degrade, which is OK if they are a bag for life.
So now I don;t get the reclclye bags for free I buy bin liners
whcih aren't reclclyable.

Bin bags are recyclable (in fact some are even made out of recycled
material)

Not all are. If tehyb were we wouldn't need to worry about carrier bags would we.

- they are normally polythene, same as carrier bags. These can
all be recycled - we can even now put them in our general recycling
wheelie bin.

so why weren't the free ones recycleable .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Monday, 12 October 2015 19:34:50 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

but they don't bio-degrade, which is OK if they are a bag for life.
So now I don;t get the reclclye bags for free I buy bin liners
whcih aren't reclclyable.

Bin bags are recyclable (in fact some are even made out of recycled
material)

Not all are. If tehyb were we wouldn't need to worry about carrier bags
would we.

which ones?

I'd don't think I've had any that aren't polythene and so potentially
recyclable, of course the life of a bin bag is normally to be filled
with rubbish and end up in in rubbish lorry/incinerated, landfill etc.

- they are normally polythene, same as carrier bags. These can
all be recycled - we can even now put them in our general recycling
wheelie bin.

so why weren't the free ones recycleable .

They were, that's why some supermarkets had bins for collecting old bags
and Ocado collect old bags for recyling. (and whay or LA collection
collects polythene bags for recycling now, thought hat si unusual I
think)

But of course peopel tend not to if it is an effort, so many bags ended
up being thrown away
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 13:11:16 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Monday, 12 October 2015 19:34:50 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes

but they don't bio-degrade, which is OK if they are a bag for life.
So now I don;t get the reclclye bags for free I buy bin liners
whcih aren't reclclyable.

Bin bags are recyclable (in fact some are even made out of recycled
material)

Not all are. If tehyb were we wouldn't need to worry about carrier bags
would we.

which ones?

the 10 to 30p ones and those cooler bags.
and most bags that frozen stuff coming it like fruit and veg you store in the freezer these shouldn't be out in the recylebin even if they are classed as plastic. Other plastics depends on the borough.

I'd don't think I've had any that aren't polythene and so potentially
recyclable, of course the life of a bin bag is normally to be filled
with rubbish and end up in in rubbish lorry/incinerated, landfill etc.

Is it better to use recyleable and bio-degradable bags in landfill or doesn;t it matter.

so why weren't the free ones recycleable .

They were, that's why some supermarkets had bins for collecting old bags
and Ocado collect old bags for recyling.

and when I had them I used to put rubbish in them, both for stabndard landfill and for rubbish wich eventually ends up in teh green recyle bin.

Now I buy bags for life and buy bin liner bags which I've no idea whether they are recyclable or not.
http://www.binlinersdirect.com/black-bin-liners

but I'd buy them in the supermarket.

you do knbow what they mean by 5p for a single use plastic bag don't you.

(and whay or LA collection
collects polythene bags for recycling now, thought hat si unusual I
think)

But of course peopel tend not to if it is an effort, so many bags ended
up being thrown away

Isn;t that the idea of recycle bags.

--
Chris French

Fast charge vs. regular charge Michael Mud Electronics Repair 11 July 17th 14 04:34 AM
Old 2-ton Carrier AC alextexsuarez Home Repair 3 October 9th 09 01:37 AM
Old 2-ton Carrier AC alextexsuarez Home Repair 0 October 8th 09 09:21 PM
Which Carrier? as4603 Home Repair 5 August 27th 05 11:04 PM
standard charge or quick charge for nicads? Minty Electronics 2 July 16th 03 03:11 PM