Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Will araldite set in a fridge ?

One of the plastic lugs in the door moulding that holds in the lower shelf has broken off. I'm prepared to try a wood shape replacement araldited on with a couple of wood screws into the insulation to hold while it sets.

But will it set with the fridge operating? Am I going to have to switch it off with all the hassle that will arrive with that from the kitchen operative?

I suspect it may just delay a new fridge purchase.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
One of the plastic lugs in the door moulding that holds in the lower shelf has broken off. I'm prepared to try a wood shape replacement araldited on with a couple of wood screws into the insulation to hold while it sets.

But will it set with the fridge operating? Am I going to have to switch it off with all the hassle that will arrive with that from the kitchen operative?

I suspect it may just delay a new fridge purchase.

Rob

The curing of proper araldite is accelerated to an hour or so from 24 by
going from room temperature to around 100C

I would imagine that putting it in a fridge would be disasterous to the
curing time. Possibly allowing the adhesive to flow out of the joint
before it cures.

You may need to look at a different adhesive with a chemical accelerator
or put your foot down with the kitchen executive.

Are you man or mouse??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2015 13:54, robgraham wrote:

One of the plastic lugs in the door moulding that holds in the lower shelf has broken off.
I'm prepared to try a wood shape replacement araldited on with a

couple of wood screws into
the insulation to hold while it sets.

I suspect you will never get the required strength by gluing it on that
way. Can you not do it in say 10mm thick perspex/polystyrene instead?

The right solvent glue for a plastic to plastic weld would probably set
very much faster even if it smells.

Basically araldite smell will taint stuff in the fridge so you might as
well turn it off while you mend it with whatever glue you use!

Chemical reactions tend to be exponentially faster with increasing
temperature so with it on your odds of a satisfactory result are nil.

But will it set with the fridge operating? Am I going to have to switch it off with all
the hassle that will arrive with that from the kitchen operative?

It probably will set eventually weeks or months (perhaps just before
hell freezes over) but take so long that it will have a chance to get
everywhere including the kitchen operatives fingers.

I suspect it may just delay a new fridge purchase.

Rob

Probably. If you do use araldite do it at room temperature.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2015 13:54, robgraham wrote:
One of the plastic lugs in the door moulding that holds in the lower shelf has broken off. I'm prepared to try a wood shape replacement araldited on with a couple of wood screws into the insulation to hold while it sets.

But will it set with the fridge operating? Am I going to have to switch it off with all the hassle that will arrive with that from the kitchen operative?

I suspect it may just delay a new fridge purchase.

Rob

I don't know, but generally reaction rates roughly double for a 10'C
temperature increase, so halve for a 10'C decrease - the 'Arrhenius
equation'.

That might suggest four times the normal curing time as a ballpark estimate.

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 14:17:34 UTC+1, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 14/07/2015 13:54, robgraham wrote:
One of the plastic lugs in the door moulding that holds in the lower shelf has broken off. I'm prepared to try a wood shape replacement araldited on with a couple of wood screws into the insulation to hold while it sets.

But will it set with the fridge operating? Am I going to have to switch it off with all the hassle that will arrive with that from the kitchen operative?

I suspect it may just delay a new fridge purchase.

Rob

I don't know, but generally reaction rates roughly double for a 10'C
temperature increase, so halve for a 10'C decrease - the 'Arrhenius
equation'.

That might suggest four times the normal curing time as a ballpark estimate.

+1. Though how well epoxy adheres to fridge lining remains to be seen.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 2:10:55 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Many thanks guys - I'd forgotten the 10 deg C ratio thing (Arrhenius) so yes that is not the right option.

Martin - your idea of the plastic to plastic solvent in conjunction with perspex looks the right way to go. But what solvent ? I seem to have a memory of perspex cement being made by dissolving small bits of perspex in something - cellulose thinners ?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Acrylic cement was made by dissolving acrylic in chloroform, commercially available under the trade name Tensol. Why not try super glue, the originals were developed as replacement for glues like Tensol to overcome the problems of working with chloroform.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

[...]

I don't have much luck with Araldite these days. Many years ago it
used to set rock hard, but my recent attempts stay slightly flexible.
After the last failure I used plastic cement from my local model shop,
which sticks many plastics including Perspex. It's a thin liquid which
is applied to the join, going in by capillary attraction. Based on
methylene chloride I think.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 20:16:58 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Acrylic cement was made by dissolving acrylic in chloroform, commercially available under the trade name Tensol. Why not try super glue, the originals were developed as replacement for glues like Tensol to overcome the problems of working with chloroform.

Richard

I've used CA glue successfully on fridge liner, but assumed it would be too brittle for long term use.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

With a little more hardener it actually seems to work well. I had an old
Hitachi fridge with a glued on rear shelf stop for years. Admittedly it was
not really load bearing, but it never fell off.
I think I used something called araldite rapid.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/15 08:58, Brian-Gaff wrote:

I think I used something called araldite rapid.

Sounds possible - the Rapid has a notional 10 minute set time, IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 10:41:34 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 15/07/15 08:58, Brian-Gaff wrote:

I think I used something called araldite rapid.

Sounds possible - the Rapid has a notional 10 minute set time, IIRC.

Always avoid rapid epoxies unless you really need the quick set, they end up much weaker.

NT

Is there a modern alternative to Araldite? Steve UK diy 40 January 20th 10 05:46 PM
Araldite John UK diy 17 July 16th 08 04:51 PM
Is Araldite ok for metal? Alex Coleman UK diy 30 April 5th 07 08:41 PM
Expensive Araldite? Lobster UK diy 11 August 16th 06 06:51 AM
araldite comparisons [email protected] UK diy 29 March 25th 06 04:29 PM