Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default araldite comparisons

Need a bit if help choosing the best kind of araldite to use!
If I'm correct the standard 5-min isn't the strongest. Does it follow
the slower drying ones (eg 30 min) set to stronger bonds?

Seb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 24 Mar 2006 08:11:08 -0800, wrote:

Need a bit if help choosing the best kind of araldite to use!

There is almost certainly something better.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 24 Mar 2006 14:22:08 -0800, wrote:

I keep thinking 2-part resins are stronger.

But not flexible. Ask a cobbler what he uses.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:37:51 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

You can accelerate Araldite curing time by applying a modest level of heat.

When I was a kid, I broke a leg off a table. I mixed up some Cascamite
(wonderful stuff), and glued it back together. Only problem, parents
coming back in 3 hours.

I put the heating on full, and put every electric fire in my bedroom
(which also had the hot water tank in it). I got the temperature above
125 degrees Fahrenheit (50 Celsius) - the greenhouse thermometer ran
out at that point.

Glue was set in 2 hours (normally took 24), parents never knew.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Tim Lamb wrote:

You can accelerate Araldite curing time by applying a modest level of
heat. What it does to bond strength is beyond my knowledge.

I used similar epoxy resins in a job for six years. I discovered
that moderate heat helped the epoxy to set better and harder.
Heat also helps if you have not got the mixture proportions quite
right (which usually happens when mixing a small quantity).
The heat was applied by putting the article to be glued in a box
containing a light bulb, for a few hours. It is important to heat
the article before applying the epoxy. It will tend to get very
runny at that stage, so allow for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

wrote in message
oups.com...
Need a bit if help choosing the best kind of araldite to use!
If I'm correct the standard 5-min isn't the strongest. Does it follow
the slower drying ones (eg 30 min) set to stronger bonds?

Seb

If you can find one locally, visit a stonecutter/mason. The sort of firm
that makes stone tops for bathrooms/kitchens etc. I have one as a tenant.
They use araldite type stuff for glueing sinks/basins to worktops etc.
Certainly smells the same.
2Kgs I think is about a tenner inc. hardener
Much too inflexible for shoes unfortunately and where are we to find a
cobbler today.
I have a couple of tins in my workshop, can send a name or link (if
available) should you wish.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Ian Stirling wrote:
wrote:
Need a bit if help choosing the best kind of araldite to use!
If I'm correct the standard 5-min isn't the strongest. Does it follow
the slower drying ones (eg 30 min) set to stronger bonds?

All else being equal, yes.

Generally the longer the setting time the stronger the bond. A single part
polyurethane might be easier, like Gorilla Glue.

You can accelerate Araldite curing time by applying a modest level of
heat. What it does to bond strength is beyond my knowledge.

AIUI.
Epoxies are complex beasts.
Basically, the faster the epoxy, the more the reaction does not go to
completion, but sticks part way there.
This means there is less reacted epoxy molecules as a proportion of the
whole, and the ends of the molecules which would normally join together
instead get immobilised by the molecules that are set around them.

Once it's 'set' (say 10 times the setting time) not much happens.
Until you raise it above a certain temperature for the first time.
Then the strength drops a bit as the ends of the unbound molecules whip
around due to thermal vibrations, and reform so that more of them are
joined up.
When it cools again, it's stronger - though less flexible than before.
Heating again to the same temperature as before does nothing.

Setting at elevated temperatures does nothing bad - apart from losing
flexibility.

Then there is the whole issue of differences in the coefficient of
expansion of the epoxy and the substrate - if you cure it at elevated
temperatures, you're going to lock in some stress, which may weaken the
joint.

Then there is heat generated while setting, and the fact that it can
get hot enough to damage the setting epoxy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:14:19 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Presumably using fish glue?

Oh no, not this gag again.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:43:50 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:37:51 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

You can accelerate Araldite curing time by applying a modest level of heat.

When I was a kid, I broke a leg off a table. I mixed up some Cascamite
(wonderful stuff), and glued it back together. Only problem, parents
coming back in 3 hours.

I put the heating on full, and put every electric fire in my bedroom
(which also had the hot water tank in it). I got the temperature above
125 degrees Fahrenheit (50 Celsius) - the greenhouse thermometer ran
out at that point.

Glue was set in 2 hours (normally took 24), parents never knew.

Impressive, but a guy I knew at university managed to roll his mum's
mini into a ditch while she was about three days into a fortnights
holiday after leaving her previously trustworthy son in sole charge of
the family home. He wasn't insured and only had a bike licence. By
calling in quite a few favours and using a huge chunk of his grant he
reshelled it and it looked as good as new when they came back. He
would have got away with it except for one small detail.

Before she went on holiday his mum had caught the headlining with a
ring and had torn it slightly. A few weeks later when she booked it
in for a service she mentioned the headlining and went out to the car
to show the service receptionist the damage. But obviously none was
found. She smelt a rat, and when grilled her son lost his nerve and
spilled the beans. He went without drink for the best part of the
next year and still paying back his huge overdraft years later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

silicono2 wrote:
I often use it to fix shoes--I know
you're supposed to use Evo for that but I keep thinking 2-part resins
are stronger. The Evo seems to work off after a while, although the
5-min araldite I'm using isn't a lot better. So I was hoping stronger
araldite could do the trick.

It's rigid, and the bond will fail quickly. You ought to buy some
shoe glue (polteurethane with toluene solvent).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Ian Stirling wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Ian Stirling wrote:
wrote:
[...]

THANK you. That is EXACTLY what I have observed. Rubbery cures until
heated, then she sets rock hard..

Setting at elevated temperatures does nothing bad - apart from losing
flexibility.

Then there is the whole issue of differences in the coefficient of
expansion of the epoxy and the substrate - if you cure it at elevated
temperatures, you're going to lock in some stress, which may weaken the
joint.

Then there is heat generated while setting, and the fact that it can
get hot enough to damage the setting epoxy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article .com
wrote:
snip

No specific project in mind, but I often use it to fix shoes--I know
you're supposed to use Evo for that but I keep thinking 2-part resins
are stronger. The Evo seems to work off after a while, although the
5-min araldite I'm using isn't a lot better. So I was hoping stronger
araldite could do the trick.

A 1-part polyurethane adhesive is probably better for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Rob Morley wrote:
In article .com
wrote:
snip
No specific project in mind, but I often use it to fix shoes--I know
you're supposed to use Evo for that but I keep thinking 2-part resins
are stronger. The Evo seems to work off after a while, although the
5-min araldite I'm using isn't a lot better. So I was hoping stronger
araldite could do the trick.

A 1-part polyurethane adhesive is probably better for that.

"Bison" shoe adhesive which is a one-part non-foaming adhesive is best.
Araldite is a poor choice for shoes, it may be strong but it doesn't
work well if the leather is moist (as from sweat) and it doesn't
tolerate flexing at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

You can accelerate Araldite curing time by applying a modest level
of heat. What it does to bond strength is beyond my knowledge.

modest? We used to cure 24 hour alardite in ten minutes with a
hairdryer when it first came out (1963?) . It went translucent and dark
brown, and was MUCH stronger.

I use a Black and Decker paint stripper. No good for paint but
marvellous for de-frosting pipes, drying welding rods, softening
plastics etc.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

All a bit confusing, but I agree araldite is a bit brittle. It seems
the single part polyurethane is what I need (or the black rubber
cement)--thanks again,

Seb