Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default araldite comparisons

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:43:50 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:37:51 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

You can accelerate Araldite curing time by applying a modest level of heat.

When I was a kid, I broke a leg off a table. I mixed up some Cascamite
(wonderful stuff), and glued it back together. Only problem, parents
coming back in 3 hours.

I put the heating on full, and put every electric fire in my bedroom
(which also had the hot water tank in it). I got the temperature above
125 degrees Fahrenheit (50 Celsius) - the greenhouse thermometer ran
out at that point.

Glue was set in 2 hours (normally took 24), parents never knew.

Impressive, but a guy I knew at university managed to roll his mum's
mini into a ditch while she was about three days into a fortnights
holiday after leaving her previously trustworthy son in sole charge of
the family home. He wasn't insured and only had a bike licence. By
calling in quite a few favours and using a huge chunk of his grant he
reshelled it and it looked as good as new when they came back. He
would have got away with it except for one small detail.

Before she went on holiday his mum had caught the headlining with a
ring and had torn it slightly. A few weeks later when she booked it
in for a service she mentioned the headlining and went out to the car
to show the service receptionist the damage. But obviously none was
found. She smelt a rat, and when grilled her son lost his nerve and
spilled the beans. He went without drink for the best part of the
next year and still paying back his huge overdraft years later.