Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stuffing the magic smoke back in...

An old friend finally gave up, here is the story of its restoration to
health:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._R eplacement

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Refreshing to see something in this line that is repairable in an era where most things seem to be "throw away" or simply not cost effective to repair.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
Refreshing to see something in this line that is repairable in an era where
most things seem to be "throw away" or simply not cost effective to repair.

I have two mains machines with failed armature windings that I would
love to fix.

In one case (a Bissell vacuum cleaner) the replacement motor is no
longer obtainable even though it's only a few years old. No chance of
just getting an armature.

In the other case (a Ryobi strimmer) a replacement motor is available
but it costs just about the same as a complete new strimmer.

Is there no one anywhere offering a rewind service for this type of
small armature? I'd guess there's pretty generic machinery for doing
the winding as there are zillions of these little motors around. I'd
happily pay £25 to £35 for such a repair as both machines are good
enough in other ways to want to preserve them.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 8:52:00 AM UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Almost anything could be repaird of course, but eh maker o

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Refreshing to see something in this line that is repairable in an era
where most things seem to be "throw away" or simply not cost effective to
repair.

Richard

I dropped a Makita battery and the bottom half of the casing came adrift. It had been glued in place. Having little faith in re-glueing it I riveted it back together. (Because the cover was hexagonal and the battery pack was round there was room for a rivet in the corners.) Still going strong

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
On 03/07/2015 09:04, wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Refreshing to see something in this line that is repairable in an era where
most things seem to be "throw away" or simply not cost effective to repair.

I have two mains machines with failed armature windings that I would
love to fix.

In one case (a Bissell vacuum cleaner) the replacement motor is no
longer obtainable even though it's only a few years old. No chance of
just getting an armature.

In the other case (a Ryobi strimmer) a replacement motor is available
but it costs just about the same as a complete new strimmer.

Is there no one anywhere offering a rewind service for this type of
small armature?

Google gets a number of hits, although the company I used to use does
not appear to be among them. This company looks as though it knows what
it is doing, but I have no personal experience of them:

http://www.robsonandfrancisrewinds.co.uk/

Thanks for the link, I'd tried Google searches but it's very difficult
to decide if a particular company can/will rewind small armatures,
most (not unreasonably) seem to only do big motors.

I'd guess there's pretty generic machinery for doing
the winding as there are zillions of these little motors around. I'd
happily pay £25 to £35 for such a repair as both machines are good
enough in other ways to want to preserve them.

IME, rewinds are only economic if there really is no alternative motor
available, as with a surface grinding machine I had, where the motor
casing was part of the main machine casting.

Quite, I'd replace the motor/machine if it was more economical or
possible.

What sort of ball-park figure would you expect for the cost of a rewind?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 02:20, John Rumm wrote:
An old friend finally gave up, here is the story of its restoration to
health:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._R eplacement

Oh and I thought for a minute there you were going to show us an
armature rewind!

When I worked in an industrial research lab, we had a guy who could do
this. I don't know if he ever did them for "work" but you could take him
a car dynamo or just about anything else.

Come to think of it, there were people there who could mend anything!
Several superb welders, a glassblower, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 11:30, newshound wrote:
On 03/07/2015 02:20, John Rumm wrote:
An old friend finally gave up, here is the story of its restoration to
health:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._R eplacement

Oh and I thought for a minute there you were going to show us an
armature rewind!

Not at £26 for a shiny new one!

(there is a local motor service place I have used before, but I doubt
they could match that price...)

When I worked in an industrial research lab, we had a guy who could do
this. I don't know if he ever did them for "work" but you could take him
a car dynamo or just about anything else.

Come to think of it, there were people there who could mend anything!
Several superb welders, a glassblower, etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh and I thought for a minute there you were going to show us an
armature rewind!

Not at £26 for a shiny new one!

Thats one thing that steers me in the direction of that maker, the fact
that you can get spares and reasonable prices.

Mind you I've had my Mak SDS for must be 8 years now and its still fine
on the original armature yet after years of punishment..

So much so just bought a 115 mm angle grinder off them was only around
40 quid from Tool Satan much better quality than the cheapies..

(there is a local motor service place I have used before, but I doubt
they could match that price...)

When I worked in an industrial research lab, we had a guy who could do
this. I don't know if he ever did them for "work" but you could take him
a car dynamo or just about anything else.

Come to think of it, there were people there who could mend anything!
Several superb welders, a glassblower, etc.

Very useful to have around...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2015 20:21, tony sayer wrote:

Oh and I thought for a minute there you were going to show us an
armature rewind!

Not at £26 for a shiny new one!

Thats one thing that steers me in the direction of that maker, the fact
that you can get spares and reasonable prices.

You would probably get a similar experience with DeWalt or Blue Bosch
etc... But yup, Mak spares are usually available even for quite old
models.

--
Cheers,

John.

Almost let all the magic smoke out [email protected] Metalworking 8 November 9th 12 04:39 PM
Motor help? Trying to avoid magic smoke.... Todd Rich Metalworking 11 October 29th 08 12:57 PM
Magic Smoke AndrewV Metalworking 6 September 29th 07 01:11 AM
A bit OT but... magic smoke and digital telly Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 7 September 27th 07 09:34 AM
4 x 6 bandsaw motor magic smoke David Billington Metalworking 4 March 9th 05 12:51 AM