Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Magic Smoke

The magic smoke finally escaped from my Milwaukee 4.5" angle grinder. I
think I got my money out of it ;found in a box of yard sale junk $10 in 1987
looked heavily used then. It's been set up with a wire wheel for some time
now and had a habit of getting to hot to hold for a while. The sad part is
the replacement ( if I went and bought one...have 2 others ) will cost far
more and probably not last 1/2 as long.

R.I.P.

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, you're in luck - the highly popular HF 4 1/2" is on sale ($9.99):

Some people claim that this (blue) is a POS & you should get the yellow
(?) $19.99 one, but this one's going fine for me.

For the price of a Milwaukee, you can get 10 of these.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:54:34 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"AndrewV" quickly quoth:

The magic smoke finally escaped from my Milwaukee 4.5" angle grinder. I
think I got my money out of it ;found in a box of yard sale junk $10 in 1987
looked heavily used then. It's been set up with a wire wheel for some time
now and had a habit of getting to hot to hold for a while. The sad part is
the replacement ( if I went and bought one...have 2 others ) will cost far
more and probably not last 1/2 as long.

R.I.P.

So, are they going to warranty it? g

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nuts. I have 2 blue ones; beat the living crap out of both for the last
4 years. Both still going strong. Currently on the HF Parking Lot sale
flyer for $9.95 or so.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Some people claim that this (blue) is a POS
For the price of a Milwaukee, you can get 10 of these.

Bob

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

AndrewV wrote:
The magic smoke finally escaped from my Milwaukee 4.5" angle grinder. I
think I got my money out of it ;found in a box of yard sale junk $10 in 1987
looked heavily used then. It's been set up with a wire wheel for some time
now and had a habit of getting to hot to hold for a while. The sad part is
the replacement ( if I went and bought one...have 2 others ) will cost far
more and probably not last 1/2 as long.

Simple solution, keep buying those old tools at garage sales, they
are beter than most of the junk sold today. A sad situation, but true.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

For the price of a Milwaukee, you can get 10 of these.

I heard Milwaukee isn't made stateside anymore. Is that true?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 28, 11:54 am, "AndrewV"
wrote:
The magic smoke finally escaped from my Milwaukee 4.5" angle grinder. I
think I got my money out of it ;found in a box of yard sale junk $10 in 1987
looked heavily used then. It's been set up with a wire wheel for some time
now and had a habit of getting to hot to hold for a while. The sad part is
the replacement ( if I went and bought one...have 2 others ) will cost far
more and probably not last 1/2 as long.

R.I.P.

You *might* be able to get parts for the machine. Do you know what
happened to it?

Armature and gearbox aren't worth replacing. Switch, brushes, plastic
case (usually), cord are worth your time and energy.

Current Milwaukee machines have a 5 year warranty, and 1 year free
maintainence. Something to think about. Their grinders are quite nice
(don't reallly care for their current cordless lines).

Those HF grinders sound like a bad idea for times when you'll be
holding the machine for long periods. Being comfortable while using a
grinder is a real plus, and the injuries that can result from
prolonged use of cruddy ones aren't worth it, IMHO. Metabo tools feel
really nice (3 year warranty with web registration) but won't take the
same abuse as Milwaukee's tools.

Regards,

Robin

The magic of RS [email protected] Woodworking 0 September 28th 07 02:53 AM
A bit OT but... magic smoke and digital telly Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 7 September 27th 07 09:34 AM
Magic eraser? clifto Home Repair 8 March 11th 07 01:00 AM
4 x 6 bandsaw motor magic smoke David Billington Metalworking 4 March 9th 05 12:51 AM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM