David Billington

Default 4 x 6 bandsaw motor magic smoke

Well it let go today, stalled while I didn't notice and it died. Starter
winding gone. It's done sterling service for about 6 years now so its
not that bad. My problem is the motor plate give most details but not
the RPM and neither does the manual. Anyone know the standard motor RPM
for these beasts. I'm in the UK so 240V 50Hz .

David Billington

Thanks for the info. I just went and checked the pulley and wheel sizes
and the worm ratio to validate it, it'll be a 1425rpm motor on UK 50Hz.
Glad I checked as the worm and wheel are on their last legs. Had problem
with the engagement when I bought it and the mesh was so bad the motor
would hardly turn it. Got a bit of servicing and adjustment to do later
in the week, Good thing is MachineMart in the UK who supplied it has the
worm and wheel as spares and they'll be with me in 2 - 3 days for £17.45
total, about $31 US.

Keith Marshall wrote:

The Harbor Freight version is 110V 60Hz but I would think the pulleys and
RPM would be the same. According to their manual it calls for a 1720 RPM
motor.

It's on page 4:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...7999/37151.PDF

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"David Billington" wrote in message
k...

Well it let go today, stalled while I didn't notice and it died. Starter
winding gone. It's done sterling service for about 6 years now so its not
that bad. My problem is the motor plate give most details but not the RPM
and neither does the manual. Anyone know the standard motor RPM for these
beasts. I'm in the UK so 240V 50Hz .

Tom Miller

"David Billington" wrote in message
Well it let go today, stalled while I didn't notice and it died. Starter
winding gone. It's done sterling service for about 6 years now so its
not that bad. My problem is the motor plate give most details but not
the RPM and neither does the manual. Anyone know the standard motor RPM
for these beasts. I'm in the UK so 240V 50Hz .

The usual motor speed in the UK will be the same as here in Aus. Nominally
1440 rpm.

Keith Marshall

Thanks for the info. I just went and checked the pulley and wheel sizes
and the worm ratio to validate it, it'll be a 1425rpm motor on UK 50Hz.

Oops, I should've realized the speed would be different because of the
frequency difference. I didn't do so well in the motor portion of my
schooling. Didn't care about them and couldn't imagine I would ever need it
in the future. :-)

Glad you found what you need!

Keith Marshall wrote:

The Harbor Freight version is 110V 60Hz but I would think the pulleys and
RPM would be the same. According to their manual it calls for a 1720 RPM
motor.

It's on page 4:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...7999/37151.PDF

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"David Billington" wrote in message
. uk...

Well it let go today, stalled while I didn't notice and it died. Starter
winding gone. It's done sterling service for about 6 years now so its
not that bad. My problem is the motor plate give most details but not the
RPM and neither does the manual. Anyone know the standard motor RPM for
these beasts. I'm in the UK so 240V 50Hz .

Smoke (and other) Alarms - best suppliers of compatible ranges? [email protected] UK diy 33 December 6th 04 09:48 AM
air cleaner Betsy Home Repair 61 November 23rd 04 04:15 PM
CLOSE CALL - SMOKE ALARM IN THE SHOP? T. Woodworking 47 December 6th 03 04:35 AM
Smoke smell from A/C? Eyes burning. jan Home Repair 7 November 18th 03 03:04 AM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM