Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Almost let all the magic smoke out

I have a motor on a stand that I mount wire wheels, nylon abrasive
brush wheels, Scotch Brite wheels, etc. The motor is not totally
enclosed so it draws abrasive dust and metal dust through it. I have
been using the motor for over 20 years and I do blow it out from time
to time. It has never given me any problems until yesterday. I was
using it and I heard a popping noise and copious amounts of smoke
started to pour out one end of the motor. I took it apart to
investigate and it was pretty dusty inside but I could not find any
obvious culprit for the smoke or the popping noise. There was one fine
wire that was pulled a little away from the the rest of the motor
windings and this wire looked a little cooked. So I painted the
windings at that end of the motor with red Dykem, several coats,
tucked the wire back up against the windings, painted a little more
Dykem on, let the stuff dry, and reassembled the motor. It now runs
fine again, doesn't get hot even after running for a 1 hour test, and
doesn't smell of burned insulation. I checked the windings for
continuity to ground and there is none. So I think I only let a
little bit of the magic smoke out. Nevertheless I will continue to
live dangerously and use this motor with wire wheels and so on.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Call a priest, and have it blessed?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Call a priest, and have it blessed?

I know of a Mormon elder who's temporarily out of work... G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll be there in half an hour!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

. 3.70...
"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Call a priest, and have it blessed?

I know of a Mormon elder who's temporarily out of work... G

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:18:38 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Wow, you lucked out, Eric! Magic Smoke is so fine, _all_ of it
usually escapes whenever some gets out. Congrats on the fix.

Is Dykem that sticky that you can use it as an adhesive/varnish?

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 05:16:58 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Though certainly not as durable or tenacious as motor varnish it does
dry fast, wicks well, and seems to insulate pretty well. I have used
it in motors in the past. And once the motor is assembled there is
really no way to cause physical damage to it. I really should buy some
brushable motor varnish. I think I'll look for some online and see if
it has a reasonable shelf life.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Eric- Hide quoted text -

The real stuff to use is glyptal insulating varnish, used to be a
standard at radio-tv service supply stores, wouldn't have any idea
where to find it these days. Was used for painting over spots where
HV was leaking.

Hope that motor has sealed/shielded bearings. My dad's homemade
grinder used an old washing machine motor, but had a rather long belt
between it and the pillow block he used as a grinder head. The motor
would get all crudded up on the outside, but never quit working. No
shield on the motor. Used old windmill angle iron for the frame. Not
a lot of fun to drill.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

continuity to ground and there is none. Â*So I think I only let a
little bit of the magic smoke out. Nevertheless I will Â*continue to
live dangerously and use this motor with wire wheels and so on.

Wow, you lucked out, Eric! Â*Magic Smoke is so fine, _all_ of it
usually Â*escapes whenever some gets out. Â*Congrats on the fix.

[...]

Not sure if it is still avaialable, but I bough my bottle from (GC
Electronics) from digikey several years back. Just checked - still
available - GC Electronics 10-9002 Red Insulating Varnish.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I saw spray at McMaster-Carr but brush on is better for me.
Eric

Motor help? Trying to avoid magic smoke.... Todd Rich Metalworking 11 October 29th 08 12:57 PM
Magic Smoke AndrewV Metalworking 6 September 29th 07 01:11 AM
A bit OT but... magic smoke and digital telly Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 7 September 27th 07 09:34 AM
4 x 6 bandsaw motor magic smoke David Billington Metalworking 4 March 9th 05 12:51 AM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM