Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Almost let all the magic smoke out

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:18:38 -0800, wrote:

I have a motor on a stand that I mount wire wheels, nylon abrasive
brush wheels, Scotch Brite wheels, etc. The motor is not totally
enclosed so it draws abrasive dust and metal dust through it. I have
been using the motor for over 20 years and I do blow it out from time
to time. It has never given me any problems until yesterday. I was
using it and I heard a popping noise and copious amounts of smoke
started to pour out one end of the motor. I took it apart to
investigate and it was pretty dusty inside but I could not find any
obvious culprit for the smoke or the popping noise. There was one fine
wire that was pulled a little away from the the rest of the motor
windings and this wire looked a little cooked. So I painted the
windings at that end of the motor with red Dykem, several coats,
tucked the wire back up against the windings, painted a little more
Dykem on, let the stuff dry, and reassembled the motor. It now runs
fine again, doesn't get hot even after running for a 1 hour test, and
doesn't smell of burned insulation. I checked the windings for
continuity to ground and there is none. So I think I only let a
little bit of the magic smoke out. Nevertheless I will continue to
live dangerously and use this motor with wire wheels and so on.

Wow, you lucked out, Eric! Magic Smoke is so fine, _all_ of it
usually escapes whenever some gets out. Congrats on the fix.

Is Dykem that sticky that you can use it as an adhesive/varnish?

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our