Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Almost let all the magic smoke out

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 23:04:41 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 09:09:32 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Nov 8, 9:55*am, wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 05:16:58 -0800, Larry Jaques

wrote:
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:18:38 -0800, wrote:

I have a motor on a stand that I mount wire wheels, nylon abrasive
brush wheels, Scotch Brite wheels, etc. The motor is not totally
enclosed so it draws abrasive dust and metal dust through it. I have
been using the motor for over 20 years and I do blow it out from time
to time. It has never given me any problems until yesterday. I was
using it and I heard a popping noise and copious amounts of smoke
started to pour out one end of the motor. I took it apart to
investigate and it was pretty dusty inside but I could not find any
obvious culprit for the smoke or the popping noise. There was one fine
wire that was pulled a little away from the the rest of the motor
windings and this wire looked a little cooked. So I painted the
windings at that end of the motor with red Dykem, several coats,
tucked the wire back up against the windings, painted a little more
Dykem on, let the stuff dry, and reassembled the motor. It now runs
fine again, doesn't get hot even after running for a 1 hour test, and
doesn't smell of burned insulation. I checked the windings for
continuity to ground and there is none. *So I think I only let a
little bit of the magic smoke out. Nevertheless I will *continue to
live dangerously and use this motor with wire wheels and so on.

Wow, you lucked out, Eric! *Magic Smoke is so fine, _all_ of it
usually *escapes whenever some gets out. *Congrats on the fix.

Is Dykem that sticky that you can use it as an adhesive/varnish?

Though certainly not as durable or tenacious as motor varnish it does
dry fast, wicks well, and seems to insulate pretty well. I have used
it in motors in the past. And once the motor is assembled there is
really no way to cause physical damage to it. I really should buy some
brushable motor varnish. I think I'll look for some online and see if
it has a reasonable shelf life.
Eric- Hide quoted text -

The real stuff to use is glyptal insulating varnish, used to be a
standard at radio-tv service supply stores, wouldn't have any idea
where to find it these days. Was used for painting over spots where
HV was leaking.

Hope that motor has sealed/shielded bearings. My dad's homemade
grinder used an old washing machine motor, but had a rather long belt
between it and the pillow block he used as a grinder head. The motor
would get all crudded up on the outside, but never quit working. No
shield on the motor. Used old windmill angle iron for the frame. Not
a lot of fun to drill.

Stan

Not sure if it is still avaialable, but I bough my bottle from (GC
Electronics) from digikey several years back. Just checked - still
available - GC Electronics 10-9002 Red Insulating Varnish.

Thanks. I saw spray at McMaster-Carr but brush on is better for me.
Eric