Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Stuffing the magic smoke back in...

On 03/07/2015 09:04, wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
Refreshing to see something in this line that is repairable in an era where
most things seem to be "throw away" or simply not cost effective to repair.

I have two mains machines with failed armature windings that I would
love to fix.

In one case (a Bissell vacuum cleaner) the replacement motor is no
longer obtainable even though it's only a few years old. No chance of
just getting an armature.

In the other case (a Ryobi strimmer) a replacement motor is available
but it costs just about the same as a complete new strimmer.

Is there no one anywhere offering a rewind service for this type of
small armature?

Google gets a number of hits, although the company I used to use does
not appear to be among them. This company looks as though it knows what
it is doing, but I have no personal experience of them:

http://www.robsonandfrancisrewinds.co.uk/

I'd guess there's pretty generic machinery for doing
the winding as there are zillions of these little motors around. I'd
happily pay £25 to £35 for such a repair as both machines are good
enough in other ways to want to preserve them.

IME, rewinds are only economic if there really is no alternative motor
available, as with a surface grinding machine I had, where the motor
casing was part of the main machine casting.

--
Colin Bignell