Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish fibre broadband,home networking etc

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 11/05/15 16:24, News wrote:

The answer, I suppose, is buy a network switch.

well the answer is not a 10Mbps hub, anyway.

Yes, I suppose it could be a 10Mbps hub.

Anyway, panic over. Having spent far too much of my life lying on the
floor, trying various combinations, plugging, unplugging and constantly
running speed tests, son says don't worry Dad, I can connect the PS
wirelessly. Argh! Why didn't he say that before?

However, just in case that does not work, what do I need? There seem to
be countless LB-LINK 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch LAN Network Hub Wired
RJ45 Splitter BL-S515 for less than a tenner delivered. That'll do the
job?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2015 17:30:08 +0100, News wrote:

However, just in case that does not work, what do I need?

Not a 10 Mbps hub that you've just tried. Apart from the 10 Mbps
aspect a hub is just a glorified distribution amplifier. What ever
comes in on any port goes out of all the others. A switch takes note
of MAC address's and switches the packets to the correct port.

Gigabit switches are cheap, personally I've slightly gone off Netgear
recently and would look at TP-Link first. But TBH if you stick to a
known brand and a sensible price for a 5 port Gigabit switch your
won't go far wrong.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/15 16:24, News wrote:

The answer, I suppose, is buy a network switch.

well the answer is not a 10Mbps hub, anyway.

Yes, I suppose it could be a 10Mbps hub.

Anyway, panic over. Having spent far too much of my life lying on the
floor, trying various combinations, plugging, unplugging and constantly
running speed tests, son says don't worry Dad, I can connect the PS
wirelessly. Argh! Why didn't he say that before?

However, just in case that does not work, what do I need? There seem to
be countless LB-LINK 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch LAN Network Hub Wired
RJ45 Splitter BL-S515 for less than a tenner delivered. That'll do the
job?

Netgear GS105 is a 5 port gig switch for less than £20 - I've used the 8
port variant and they are quite respectable. Very simple, no features,
just honest decent switching.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/15 16:24, News wrote:

The answer, I suppose, is buy a network switch.

well the answer is not a 10Mbps hub, anyway.

Yes, I suppose it could be a 10Mbps hub.

Anyway, panic over. Having spent far too much of my life lying on the
floor, trying various combinations, plugging, unplugging and constantly
running speed tests, son says don't worry Dad, I can connect the PS
wirelessly. Argh! Why didn't he say that before?

However, just in case that does not work, what do I need? There seem to
be countless LB-LINK 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch LAN Network Hub Wired
RJ45 Splitter BL-S515 for less than a tenner delivered. That'll do the
job?

almost anything will.

chipsets for 10/100/1Gnps ethernet switches exist at sub dollar pruces.
The rest is just packaging

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/15 16:24, News wrote:

The answer, I suppose, is buy a network switch.

well the answer is not a 10Mbps hub, anyway.

Yes, I suppose it could be a 10Mbps hub.

Anyway, panic over. Having spent far too much of my life lying on the
floor, trying various combinations, plugging, unplugging and constantly
running speed tests, son says don't worry Dad, I can connect the PS
wirelessly. Argh! Why didn't he say that before?

Bera in mind that unless it's the latest version, wireless won't be
*that* fast (theoretically about 50Mb/s, in practice possibly a lot less).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

Bera in mind that unless it's the latest version, wireless won't be
*that* fast (theoretically about 50Mb/s, in practice possibly a lot less).

We're very lucky - the DSLAM is right outside the house. I gather that
is where fibre ends and copper takes over. The copper goes from the
cabinet straight to the telegraph pole then into our house. Modem is
plugged directly into the master socket, and, via cable, we get high
sixties or seventy. Even wireless is 40+. Needless to say, son is NOT
going to be happy unless he gets at least as good a speed as his parents
do :-) That is why I've been buggering around with cables etc.
--
Graeme

(OT) Home networking problem News UK diy 20 August 28th 14 11:04 PM
Home networking Walter E.[_2_] Home Repair 21 December 2nd 13 02:49 AM
Broadband with added fibre? Bill[_18_] UK diy 52 February 20th 11 06:55 PM
OT home networking Graeme UK diy 46 April 15th 09 12:55 AM
Is CAT6 worth it for home networking? Pandora UK diy 36 July 22nd 05 11:30 PM