Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish fibre broadband,home networking etc

On Mon, 11 May 2015 17:30:08 +0100, News wrote:

However, just in case that does not work, what do I need?

Not a 10 Mbps hub that you've just tried. Apart from the 10 Mbps
aspect a hub is just a glorified distribution amplifier. What ever
comes in on any port goes out of all the others. A switch takes note
of MAC address's and switches the packets to the correct port.

Gigabit switches are cheap, personally I've slightly gone off Netgear
recently and would look at TP-Link first. But TBH if you stick to a
known brand and a sensible price for a 5 port Gigabit switch your
won't go far wrong.

--
Cheers
Dave.