Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

"Daniel James" wrote in message
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Precisely. Fireproof is nuts. Two locations is all you need

Fun to test, though, apparently:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12...e_214_on_fire/

Cheers,
Daniel.

This is cool (actually hot)!!

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Precisely. Fireproof is nuts. Two locations is all you need

Fun to test, though, apparently:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12...e_214_on_fire/

Cheers,
Daniel.

This is cool (actually hot)!!

When someone takes one to bits can they look to see how they ensure
mains doesn't get across the disks when the psu melts?
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Precisely. Fireproof is nuts. Two locations is all you need

Fun to test, though, apparently:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/02/

setting_the_iosafe_214_on_fire/

Cheers,
Daniel.

This is cool (actually hot)!!

When someone takes one to bits can they look to see how they ensure
mains doesn't get across the disks when the psu melts?

The PSU looked like an external laptop brick to me, so the answer would
be inside that.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Precisely. Fireproof is nuts. Two locations is all you need

Fun to test, though, apparently:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12...e_214_on_fire/

This is cool (actually hot)!!

When someone takes one to bits can they look to see how they ensure
mains doesn't get across the disks when the psu melts?

Who needs a fire? I once had a power supply spontaneously commit
murder/suicide while I was using it. The machine just quietly
locked up - but the motherboard and both hard drives were destroyed.
And I learned the hard way that my backup procedures were inadequate...

--
/~\ lid (Charlie Gibbs)
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

8

When someone takes one to bits can they look to see how they ensure
mains doesn't get across the disks when the psu melts?

The PSU looked like an external laptop brick to me, so the answer would
be inside that.

Well it might not be, you would want to protect your valuable assets
that you went to the trouble of buying a fireproof device for.

I just wondered what this protection was, it should protect against
anything that could damage the power brick including: fire, water,
crushing and probably incompetent users.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:39:41 +0000, Dennis@home wrote:

On 13/03/2015 12:43, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:19:32 +0000, Dennis@home wrote:

8

When someone takes one to bits can they look to see how they ensure
mains doesn't get across the disks when the psu melts?

The PSU looked like an external laptop brick to me, so the answer would
be inside that.

Well it might not be, you would want to protect your valuable assets
that you went to the trouble of buying a fireproof device for.

I just wondered what this protection was, it should protect against
anything that could damage the power brick including: fire, water,
crushing and probably incompetent users.

.... but it obviously didn't protect the brick against fire, etc., judging
by the nicely actinic flash when the fire got to it.

You're right, of course, but it seems likely that whether the disks get a
dose of 110/240 AC or not depends on the brick's design rather than the
box itself. This is best checked out by opening up the brick and seeing
how it prevents mains AC from connecting to the DC out lines when it gets
melted.

IOW did they get lucky during the El Reg demo or are the disks always
saved from electrocution? I've just passed the question on to Trevor Pott
and will pass on what he says.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 05/03/15 22:46, 7 wrote:

Use puppet - it does all that and more.

I copped out and did my own using gambas.
It took me about 3 days to write scripts that do
do file copying automatically across continents with ssh,
email log files with sendemail, etc etc etc.

I'm afraid this doesn't fit what I'm after - which is a proper network
filesystem that is suited to android and chromebook clients

Ok - picture this.

I got ssh server running on SSD
which consumes less power.

From any Linux computer from anywhere in the world,
I can run Ubuntu and in nautilus set a book mark to open
it as if it were a local storage.
I then copy paste as needed.

Linux also has rsync which is better than file copy
because it avoids duplicate file transfer and can compress
files on low bandwidth links.

Also it can be set up with cron jobs to do sync operations
frequently if needed.

Or do it more cleverly if you wrote a script
that checked first for changes to the file system
and did an rsync when there is a need
(which is what the gambas script does).

I think what you are saying is you want to be able
to do the same from Android and Chrome books?

Then that problem is down to writing applications that can do that
surely? Windows can use winscp to transfer files in a similar
way to nautilus. I'm sure android must have.
And so too chrome books.
And I believe they both also have rsync.
Again its all to do with writing applications (which probably
exist any way).

So, in the open source world, the cloud storage solution already exists in
the form of ssh server which you can set up at home.

The next thing are the applications needed to access it
for the various clients that need the access all of which
exist in some form or another.

The last part of the problem is clever applications that only do necessary
and minimal transfers - which is probably the bit
'cloud server solution providers' do differently and better
to differentiate themselves.

The solution with ssh servers is better than dropbox
because the server is not entrusted to third parties.

Dropbox in the USA can be served with secret gagging orders and the data
stolen by NSA trolls which has so far resulted in two thirds
of USA vendors of IT kit being de-listed from governments
around the world - all thanks to NSA trolls.

The system of legalised secret gagging orders and
secret data theft by unsupervised trolls in government means
public cloud storage is not viable for any kind
of sensitive data such as employee records
to commercial engineering informaton. Cloud storage
is good for marketing and web content that is
intended to be seen.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Dennis@home wrote:
When someone takes one to bits can they look to see how they ensure
mains doesn't get across the disks when the psu melts?

The PSU can burn because you buy another.

The NAS itself is (mostly) trashed by the fire, but you can take the
drives out an put them in a new NAS and read the data.

The idea is to protect the things (data) that can't be replaced, but
simply to replace the things that can.
--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/15 11:56, 7 wrote:

I think what you are saying is you want to be able
to do the same from Android and Chrome books?

No - I'm not.

My idea is a "disconnected aware" network protocol and client combo.

I cannot rsync all my stuff to every device because the clients don't
have 3TB of storage.

An ssh server is *adeqate* but not great. It does allow me to access any
file securely on demand.

However, I've not found any clients (yet) for Android that let me choose
to cache offline copies of selected files or directories nicely.

Also the SFTP clients don't really integrate with Android.

This scenario:

"I'm going to see Joe and he wants to look at the pics of Prague I took
last month. And there's no Internet down the pub where will will meet
for beer."

1) Google Drive: I can mark a whole bunch of stuff for offline access -
let it sync and off I go.

2) With SFTP I'd have to manually copy that over to the phone's storage
and any updates on the server would not get replicated.

So Google Drive does it right (TM) but with all the problems that it's
not secure (against the NSA/GCHQ etc) and Google could bugger me up. I
know this -

So basically, SFTP is "just about good enough" but it's no where near
"great".

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/15 13:00, Daniel James wrote:
In article . com,
Dennis@home wrote:
When someone takes one to bits can they look to see how they ensure
mains doesn't get across the disks when the psu melts?

The PSU can burn because you buy another.

I believe the point was: what happens when the PSU melts and dumps mains
to the output and blows your NAS to tiny weeny bits?

I would hope the NAS had some serious crowbar protection on its incoming
DC in.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

Dennis@home wrote:
When someone takes one to bits can they look to see how they ensure
mains doesn't get across the disks when the psu melts?

The PSU can burn because you buy another.

I believe the point was: what happens when the PSU melts and dumps mains
to the output and blows your NAS to tiny weeny bits?

And almost impossible scenario.

What happens when an asteroid takes out your house at the same time as
one takes out the public cloud server?

There is physical serious separation between the mains and the LV on any
modern PSU. Line several mm of plastic bobbin at least.

And the PU needs to be working properly in order to deliver ANY volts to
the secondary of the transformer. The chances of overvoltage are
approximately zero.

It's sad that the fallacy of the precautionary principle, that any
possibility no matter how remote, must be considered and have huge sums
spent on it in order to satisfy the idiocy of people who don't
understand technology and science has transferred itself from climate
change to backup policy for computer systems.

I would hope the NAS had some serious crowbar protection on its incoming
DC in.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 14/03/15 11:56, 7 wrote:

[...]

It's easy enough to add that by encrypting it before Google sees it.

and Google could bugger me up. I
know this -

So basically, SFTP is "just about good enough" but it's no where near
"great".

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/15 18:40, john james wrote:

It's easy enough to add that by encrypting it before Google sees it.

I would not call that "easy".

Again, the aim of this is to be user friendly - where the users are aged
9,11 and SWMBO.
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 14/03/15 18:40, john james wrote:

It's easy enough to add that by encrypting it before Google sees it.

I would not call that "easy".

There are systems around that do that completely automatically, so very
easy.

Again, the aim of this is to be user friendly - where the users are aged
9,11 and SWMBO.

Completely automatic encryption will be fine for those.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/15 19:12, john james wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 14/03/15 18:40, john james wrote:

It's easy enough to add that by encrypting it before Google sees it.

I would not call that "easy".

There are systems around that do that completely automatically, so very
easy.

Android, Chromebook and Linux clients?

Again, the aim of this is to be user friendly - where the users are
aged 9,11 and SWMBO.

Completely automatic encryption will be fine for those.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 14/03/15 18:40, john james wrote:

It's easy enough to add that by encrypting it before Google sees it.

I would not call that "easy".

There are systems around that do that completely automatically, so very
easy.

Android, Chromebook and Linux clients?

Yes.

Could you suggest any? I am genuinely interested - I couldn't locate any
with much googling...

I'm also looking for an RSS reader that can prefetch the linked story as
a web page and cache it - to deal with the spectacularly poor RSS feeds
on british media that put about 1 sentence in the RSS description!

(There are quite a lot of things that I wonder "why does this not
exist"? I guess I should brush up on my Android programming and write
one... I did dabble with hacking on some open source app once - an alarm
clock. I managed to hack on the features I wanted (and offered them back
to the author). Trouble I found, apart from having to run up that
monstrosity, eclipse, is there is a bugger of a lot of stuff in even a
trvial app just to make the very basics work.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

In ,
Tim Watts wrote:

(There are quite a lot of things that I wonder "why does this not
exist"? I guess I should brush up on my Android programming and write
one... I did dabble with hacking on some open source app once - an alarm
clock. I managed to hack on the features I wanted (and offered them back
to the author). Trouble I found, apart from having to run up that
monstrosity, eclipse, is there is a bugger of a lot of stuff in even a
trvial app just to make the very basics work.

Eclipse is deprecated for Android development now. They've changed to
Android Studio, which is based on IntelliJ IDEA.
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 14/03/15 18:40, john james wrote:

It's easy enough to add that by encrypting it before Google sees it.

I would not call that "easy".

There are systems around that do that completely automatically, so very
easy.

Android, Chromebook and Linux clients?

Yes.

Could you suggest any?

https://www.boxcryptor.com/

Haven't tried it, someone suggested it recently and it looked
interesting because I had been considering doing that myself.

Not that I have anything that matters much on any cloud,
more just as something to suggest to those who refuse to
use a cloud under any circumstances because their stuff
isn't secured. Some are surprisingly paranoid about them.

I do use them myself, but just for completely automatic
availability of stuff that I do use on the phones which is
almost always prepared on the desktop systems, mostly
extracts from the databases of stuff like clothes sizes,
best prices I have seen for stuff I buy much of etc.

I am genuinely interested - I couldn't locate any with much googling...

Haven't tried looking myself, but presumably putting
that rather unique name should show some competitors.

I'm also looking for an RSS reader that can prefetch the linked story as a
web page and cache it - to deal with the spectacularly poor RSS feeds on
british media that put about 1 sentence in the RSS description!

Don’t do that myself, I use the podcast system on the phone
and our national govt radio broadcaster for stuff to listen to
when walking for exercise.

(There are quite a lot of things that I wonder "why does this not exist"?

Yeah, I just discover that the phone won't do video with no audio,
you have to post process and strip the audio, pretty crude.

I guess I should brush up on my Android programming and write one...

Trouble is that that can be a lot of work. The only game I
play is Freecell Pro and I'd love to have that on the phone,
but it’s a lot of work, particularly for the solver that that has.

I did dabble with hacking on some open source app once - an alarm clock.

I've done that with Win but a combination stop watch, count down
timer with the commonly used times as buttons. Better than anything
I can find for the phone which I do use for some stuff I do quite a bit
like the spirits distilling which has some rather complex timer ops
but haven't yet got off my arse and done it for the phone which
would be the most handy when doing the distilling.

I managed to hack on the features I wanted (and offered them back to the
author). Trouble I found, apart from having to run up that monstrosity,
eclipse, is there is a bugger of a lot of stuff in even a trvial app just
to make the very basics work.

Yeah, that's the problem with Freecell and the timer, and it irritates
the hell out of me that it shouldn’t be necessary to do all that again
particularly the basic user interface stuff that you need with the phone.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts wrote:
I believe the point was: what happens when the PSU melts and
dumps mains to the output and blows your NAS to tiny weeny bits?

That's certainly the right question to be asking.

I thought someone had wanted the NAS and it's PSU to be usable after
the fire, but rereading today I can't find it.

I would hope the NAS had some serious crowbar protection on its
incoming DC in.

Indeed so ... and on the ethernet and USB connectors, though the power
input is more likely to cause trouble.
--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

Dunno if my own RSS Home Page template might help, but here it is,
just in case it does ...

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Prog...b/HomeRSS.html

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 22:00:36 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

I'm also looking for an RSS reader that can prefetch the linked story as
a web page and cache it - to deal with the spectacularly poor RSS feeds
on british media that put about 1 sentence in the RSS description!

UK Residents: If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 13:34:16 -0000
Daniel James wrote:

In article , Tim Watts wrote:
I believe the point was: what happens when the PSU melts and
dumps mains to the output and blows your NAS to tiny weeny bits?

That's certainly the right question to be asking.

I thought someone had wanted the NAS and it's PSU to be usable after
the fire, but rereading today I can't find it.

I would hope the NAS had some serious crowbar protection on its
incoming DC in.

Indeed so ... and on the ethernet and USB connectors, though the power
input is more likely to cause trouble.

Ethernet is pretty bomb-proof by design.

USB is very much a weak point. There nothing bar a simple polyfuse protecting
the +5V line, and the I/O ones are totally vulnerable. Indeed, recently I read
about some b**tard designing a device - masquerading as memory stick - that
keeps pulsing these with a very high voltage, resulting in severe MB damage

--
W J G
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 14/03/15 11:56, 7 wrote:

I think what you are saying is you want to be able
to do the same from Android and Chrome books?

No - I'm not.

My idea is a "disconnected aware" network protocol and client combo.

I cannot rsync all my stuff to every device because the clients don't
have 3TB of storage.

An ssh server is *adeqate* but not great. It does allow me to access any
file securely on demand.

However, I've not found any clients (yet) for Android that let me choose
to cache offline copies of selected files or directories nicely.

Also the SFTP clients don't really integrate with Android.

This sounds more and more a problem with Android apps becaus the ssh
server doesn't need to know how the data needs to be shuffled around.

This scenario:

"I'm going to see Joe and he wants to look at the pics of Prague I took
last month. And there's no Internet down the pub where will will meet
for beer."

1) Google Drive: I can mark a whole bunch of stuff for offline access -
let it sync and off I go.

2) With SFTP I'd have to manually copy that over to the phone's storage
and any updates on the server would not get replicated.

Still sounds like getting working apps built and may be a multi-user server
application that needs to manage users and remember what it must do.

So Google Drive does it right (TM) but with all the problems that it's
not secure (against the NSA/GCHQ etc) and Google could bugger me up. I
know this -

So basically, SFTP is "just about good enough" but it's no where near
"great".

That I think summarizes the problem.
The need is for someone to make the whole process easier by
adding server application and probably web applications
that allow Android and Chrome to control the transfer
instead of doing it manually.

The server itself would be ssh, and the primary method for file transfer
would be rsync. Easy enough to do, but you might have to pay someone

I did my automation tool using Gambas over a couple of days.
May be you can give it a try?
Its not that difficult.
And it does have a non-GUI mode for writing applications
that run as servers which start up when the machine boots.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article , Tim Watts wrote:
I believe the point was: what happens when the PSU melts and dumps
mains to the output and blows your NAS to tiny weeny bits?

That's certainly the right question to be asking.

I thought someone had wanted the NAS and it's PSU to be usable after
the fire, but rereading today I can't find it.

I would hope the NAS had some serious crowbar protection on its
incoming DC in.

Indeed so ... and on the ethernet and USB connectors, though the power
input is more likely to cause trouble.

Ethernet is pretty bomb-proof by design.

USB is very much a weak point. There nothing bar a simple polyfuse
protecting the +5V line, and the I/O ones are totally vulnerable.
Indeed, recently I read about some b**tard designing a device -
masquerading as memory stick - that keeps pulsing these with a very high
voltage, resulting in severe MB damage

Yes - and think of the effect of a good, hot fire on the rats-nest of
cables under the desk behind the NAS box. Who's to say that you wouldn't
get 240v on the CAT5 or a USB cable?

But, I wouldn't expect the motherboard to survive the file: it looks to
be outside the fireproofing wrapped round the disk, so with such a design
you can do all you need by putting a high voltage shunt across the SATA
leads as they enter the fireproof disk area.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/15 18:33, 7 wrote:
The need is for someone to make

Do I detect a Socialist?

Once defined to me as someone who votes for someone else to do, at
someone else's expense, what he cant be bothered to do for himself?

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article , Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

OK, just heard back form Trevor Potts and the ioSafe guys.

I asked:
"When the PSU shorted out due to the fire, could it have fried the disks
by letting AC get into the NAS box or does it have designed-in features
that would prevent this happening?

As it looks, to me anyway, like a standard laptop power brick, this seems
like a reasonable question. I'll be very interested to hear what you
have to say about it.
"

And the reply from ioSafe is:

"In such an event, the worst case scenario is that any data in transit
would be lost. The data on the drives would not be lost.
"

....so it looks as though they've thought about this problem.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

In uk.comp.os.linux Martin Gregorie wrote:
And the reply from ioSafe is:

"In such an event, the worst case scenario is that any data in transit
would be lost. The data on the drives would not be lost.
"

...so it looks as though they've thought about this problem.

Or they didn't understand the question... since they don't explain what
measures they've taken to prevent this happening.

Theo
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2015 15:35, Martin Gregorie wrote:

OK, just heard back form Trevor Potts and the ioSafe guys.

I asked:
"When the PSU shorted out due to the fire, could it have fried the disks
by letting AC get into the NAS box or does it have designed-in features
that would prevent this happening?

As it looks, to me anyway, like a standard laptop power brick, this seems
like a reasonable question. I'll be very interested to hear what you
have to say about it.
"

And the reply from ioSafe is:

"In such an event, the worst case scenario is that any data in transit
would be lost. The data on the drives would not be lost.
"

...so it looks as though they've thought about this problem.

I think you need to ask "What happens when the power brick melts and
mains gets applied to the 12V DC input of the NAS? What stops it frying
the disks?"
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 19:05:17 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote:

"When the PSU shorted out due to the fire, could it have fried the
disks
by letting AC get into the NAS box

And the reply from ioSafe is:

"In such an event, the worst case scenario is that any data in transit
would be lost. The data on the drives would not be lost."

...so it looks as though they've thought about this problem.

Or, they want you to assume they've thought about it/cynicmode

Request for clarification sent.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

Martin Gregorie wrote:

"When the PSU shorted out due to the fire, could it have fried the
disks
by letting AC get into the NAS box

And the reply from ioSafe is:

"In such an event, the worst case scenario is that any data in transit
would be lost. The data on the drives would not be lost."

...so it looks as though they've thought about this problem.

Or, they want you to assume they've thought about it/cynicmode

Request for clarification sent.

I wrote:
"The scenario I'm interested in is where there is the usual rats nest of
cables behind the 214 and the fire gets into this, melting or burning
insulation so a live mains conductor contacts a wire in any of the CAT5,
USB or DC power cable so that mains voltage gets into the 214's PCB. Is
there anything in the 214's circuits that would prevent that frying the
disk drive electronics?
"

and the reply was:
"As it happens, burning the cables is no more likely to result in data
loss than simply improperly pulling the plug. We actually perform our
fire testing with the units plugged in and powered on.
"

So I guess you'll draw your own conclusions. I'm out of this thread.
Toodle-pip.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

In uk.comp.os.linux Tim Watts wrote:
It would be fun to sniff the conversation between Drive and my computer
- with a minimal client so I don't see all the web supporting stuff.

There are clients like:
https://github.com/astrada/google-drive-ocamlfuse
https://github.com/iwonbigbro/gsync
https://www.jobnix.in/dropbox-comman...ce-cli-client/

I don't know of their maturity. Bolting on encryption is another
question.

However, even encrypted I don't think this is the full solution. Because
the model is that everything lives primarily in the cloud, whereas we're
using the cloud as simply a disposable cache of what we have locally. That
means they don't present the unified worldview of 'here are all the files
you can have, but some of them will take longer' that a remote FS would do.

I can't speak for "the cloud" in general but OneDrive synchs on all
computers on which the client is installed (you don't need to install
the client to use the service--you can also access it using a web
browser and download whatever you need but you lose the transparency),
so for all my OneDrive files I eventually end up with four copies, one
on my workstation, one on my server, one on my laptop, and one at
Microsoft. Which unless Microsoft decides to screw me over with my own
data, is actually a pretty good arrangement--it would take a fairly
substantial disaster to lose all copies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Not my client, my news server (albasani) that doesnt like cross posts
without a follow-up set /q

Heh, Google groups copes better I believe....

Jim K
Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:24:54 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

DropBox works the same way. One copy on every installed computer and one
on their cloud servers. Exception is mobile devices which download on
demand. I believe the android client will let you specify particular
files to keep locally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2015 16:15, Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/03/15 16:11, John F wrote:

Yep - same here, works good - two external drives and it's internal
drive -
triple backup, totally effortless

And not solving my problem (I too have a nice "internal" solution - and
now that needs to evolve...)

I will tack this here since I have not read the thread yet, and may just
be repeating what is elsewhere.

Have you looked at the Netgear ReadyNAS with cloud integration? That
basically does what you describe where the cloud storage is your nas
device, and remote access to it is possible via the web. The only bit I
am not sure about is specific clients for the mobile OSes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2015 17:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/03/15 16:57, Dan Espen wrote:
Tim Watts writes:

On 04/03/15 14:57, Dan Espen wrote:
Tim Watts writes:

SMB - no chance

Both my Kindle and Android have no problem with Samba shares over
wireless.

OK - I'm interesed - please tell me more.

What client are you using and can it offline sync certain files?

ES3.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you want.
ES3 allows the devices to mount Samba shares.

Thanks - that might be worth checking out as a general file manager (I
am using "File Manager" right now).

I use ES File Manager. That also has no difficulty browsing NAS volumes
etc via SMB/CIFS

I have managed SFTP access with mine - but the main sticking point is
you cannot mark files for offline access (aka Keep on Device").

The whole "mount SFTP/SMB" thing is an acceptable last resort - but I
really would like to have user selectable caching as that makes a big
difference in usability if the network goes away.

To be fair I have not tried that with mine (the phone is old and slow!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/15 10:47, John Rumm wrote:
I use ES File Manager. That also has no difficulty browsing NAS volumes
etc via SMB/CIFS

I use that too. It works very nicely, and can see both SMB/CIFS and NFS
shares.

Ian