Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

On 14/03/15 11:56, 7 wrote:

I think what you are saying is you want to be able
to do the same from Android and Chrome books?

No - I'm not.

My idea is a "disconnected aware" network protocol and client combo.

I cannot rsync all my stuff to every device because the clients don't
have 3TB of storage.

An ssh server is *adeqate* but not great. It does allow me to access any
file securely on demand.

However, I've not found any clients (yet) for Android that let me choose
to cache offline copies of selected files or directories nicely.

Also the SFTP clients don't really integrate with Android.

This scenario:

"I'm going to see Joe and he wants to look at the pics of Prague I took
last month. And there's no Internet down the pub where will will meet
for beer."

1) Google Drive: I can mark a whole bunch of stuff for offline access -
let it sync and off I go.

2) With SFTP I'd have to manually copy that over to the phone's storage
and any updates on the server would not get replicated.

So Google Drive does it right (TM) but with all the problems that it's
not secure (against the NSA/GCHQ etc) and Google could bugger me up. I
know this -

So basically, SFTP is "just about good enough" but it's no where near
"great".