Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tommy & Poundland?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mmy-Walsh.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Daily Mail in "press release regurgitation" shock! Hold the front page!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 January 2015 17:25:09 UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mmy-Walsh.html

The Jane Asher range of baking stuff has apparently sold over 2 million bits.

She is honest enough to say, "I love the idea you can have scales for a pound. Now, they are not going to last you."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...es-hit-2m.html

I wonder how much of the pound Jane and Tommy get?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lets hope they are not selling those rubber jewellers screwdrivers, or
super brittle hacksaw blades of yore.
I particularly liked the illuminated screwdriver, which had a torch for a
handle but nobody checked how strong the transparent bit a was that held the
blades and the lugs broke leaving the torch body to rotate without turning
the blade.
Brian

Email:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mmy-Walsh.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes well, a new cheapo discount shop is about to open around here, and they
will apparently be selling all sorts of stuff for diy. The mind boggles.
Brian

Email:

"Adrian" wrote in message
Daily Mail in "press release regurgitation" shock! Hold the front page!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2015 18:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
Lets hope they are not selling those rubber jewellers screwdrivers, or
super brittle hacksaw blades of yore.

The last hacksaw blade I got from pound land was so soft the teeth wore
out cutting a copper pipe.
Just as well it was the frame I wanted as I had misplaced my junior hacksaw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 18:03:20 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Yes well, a new cheapo discount shop is about to open around here,
and they will apparently be selling all sorts of stuff for diy. The
mind boggles. Brian

Sounds like a great place to get a deal on a ladder.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Yes well, a new cheapo discount shop is about to open around here,
and they will apparently be selling all sorts of stuff for diy. The
mind boggles. Brian

Sounds like a great place to get a deal on a ladder.

The rapid descent type?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Yes well, a new cheapo discount shop is about to open around here,
and they will apparently be selling all sorts of stuff for diy. The
mind boggles. Brian

Sounds like a great place to get a deal on a ladder.

The rapid descent type?

Yep, that one!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 21:35:13 UTC, Gordon Freeman wrote:
There's some surprisingly good DIY stuff in pound shops though,

My flat is held together with poundland filler.

My bathroom is floored with poundland tiles (4 for £1). Quick cheap job for short term use.

Poundland hacksaw doesn't cut wardrobe rail, but does cut meter tails.

Superswitch (made by Honeywell I think) metalclad sockets were a bargain for £1.

Poundland masonry bits are shyte though, and I don't trust poundland insulated screwdrivers for electrical use.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 11:34:00 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 1 February 2015 21:35:13 UTC, Gordon Freeman wrote:

There's some surprisingly good DIY stuff in pound shops though,

My flat is held together with poundland filler.
My bathroom is floored with poundland tiles (4 for £1). Quick cheap job for short term use.
Poundland hacksaw doesn't cut wardrobe rail, but does cut meter tails.
Superswitch (made by Honeywell I think) metalclad sockets were a bargain for £1.
Poundland masonry bits are shyte though, and I don't trust poundland insulated screwdrivers for electrical use.

Yeah, some of their stuff is ok, some not. Same true of 99p stores. I looked at a little nail puller / crowbarlet the other day, decided I cba to grind it to a shape where it could actually work. I think their filler overpriced though, I refuse to buy ready mixed when powder's far cheaper and lasts sensibly.

Metal switch & box for £1 is certainly cheap, but who wants singles these days? Anyway their record on electrical safety puts me right off.

Cheap (wickes) vinyl tiles work if you take the glue off with paraffin and use better.

They're finally relenting on the self destructive pricing model, they had 110 finish tabs for £8 last time I went.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 9:35:13 PM UTC, Gordon Freeman wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Yes well, a new cheapo discount shop is about to open around here, and
they will apparently be selling all sorts of stuff for diy. The mind
boggles.
Brian

There's some surprisingly good DIY stuff in pound shops though, I got a
8.5m tape measure for 99p which appears to be identical to the ones
Wickes charge 8 quid for. And being able to buy a paint roller + tray
for a quid saves a lot of washing up when decorating! The quality is
pretty immaterial when it's so cheap you can use it once and then chuck
it.

Fluffy roller and tray, ferking useless, more pile left on job than on roller, wait till dry and sand back. Tray dosen`t fit Toolstation Nour rollers which are worth extra.

poundland foam mini rollers great.

Similarly the sets of paint brushes, as long as they don't shed
bristles of course. No need to buy brush cleaner any more!

Terrible, pile too short and stiff to give any finish or load any paint on. toolstation use and throws are marginally better.

Poundland wallpaper scraper , fully reccomended.

A while ago I
needed to un-nail some wood at my mum's and she had no tools and I had
none with me as I was just visiting, 99p shop to the rescue - they sell
claw hammers, not the best quality ever but perfect for the job in hand
and at that price I just left it there afterwards.

They don't seem to sell chainsaws though I think you have to go to Lidl
for those? ;-)