Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tommy & Poundland?

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 11:34:00 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, 1 February 2015 21:35:13 UTC, Gordon Freeman wrote:

There's some surprisingly good DIY stuff in pound shops though,

My flat is held together with poundland filler.
My bathroom is floored with poundland tiles (4 for £1). Quick cheap job for short term use.
Poundland hacksaw doesn't cut wardrobe rail, but does cut meter tails.
Superswitch (made by Honeywell I think) metalclad sockets were a bargain for £1.
Poundland masonry bits are shyte though, and I don't trust poundland insulated screwdrivers for electrical use.

Yeah, some of their stuff is ok, some not. Same true of 99p stores. I looked at a little nail puller / crowbarlet the other day, decided I cba to grind it to a shape where it could actually work. I think their filler overpriced though, I refuse to buy ready mixed when powder's far cheaper and lasts sensibly.

Metal switch & box for £1 is certainly cheap, but who wants singles these days? Anyway their record on electrical safety puts me right off.

Cheap (wickes) vinyl tiles work if you take the glue off with paraffin and use better.

They're finally relenting on the self destructive pricing model, they had 110 finish tabs for £8 last time I went.

NT