Xlat

Default Knockout or Tommy Bar

I'm looking for one of these to fit a Jet JML1014, been trying
to order the smaller one that Woodcraft used to sell, but they no
longer carry them. Anyone know where to get a good one? I don't care
for the Jet ones, and looking for another source. Wonder who makes
the ones Woodcraft was selling?

Thanks for any help!!

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!
George

"Xlat" wrote in message
I'm looking for one of these to fit a Jet JML1014, been trying
to order the smaller one that Woodcraft used to sell, but they no
longer carry them. Anyone know where to get a good one? I don't care
for the Jet ones, and looking for another source. Wonder who makes
the ones Woodcraft was selling?

Knockout? I use a piece of cold-rolled steel of appropriate diameter from a
home center for both Tommy bar replacement and as a knockout for my lathe.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi there

You should go to a metal supply store or maybe your hardware or HD
carries it also, and get a length of brass rod, the Jet has a 3/8" head
stock opening I think ??
Anyway use the biggest size you can get in, the use of steel knock out
bars lead to flaring out the MT shafts on your chuck, drive center,
etc., and the use of a brass knockout bar prevents that, the brass will
flare but can be hammered to shape again, you don't want to do that to
your tapers G.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Xlat wrote:

I'm looking for one of these to fit a Jet JML1014, been trying
to order the smaller one that Woodcraft used to sell, but they no
longer carry them. Anyone know where to get a good one? I don't care
for the Jet ones, and looking for another source. Wonder who makes
the ones Woodcraft was selling?

Thanks for any help!!

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Darrell Feltmate

Try various bolts in the headstock to find the largest that fits for
diameter. Then get a piece of cold rolled steel that diameter and cut it to
the appropriate length. Turn a knob for a handle and you are done. It is
likely cheaper, faster and better than ordering.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Xlat

Guess I'll make something up then. Thought maybe I could find
something like what was for sale for around 10 bucks or so. Thought
it was the easy way out I guess... Thx.

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi there Xlat

You have a lathe, get a piece of 3/8" brass rod and turn a nice handle
hard wood handle for it, that should work just fine, and it's some good
practice.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo