Posted to uk.d-i-y
AD AD is offline

Default Just purchases property, Neighbours Extracsion forbidding to addextention to my property.

Hi All,

Hope you can help me with my issue. Please read below:

My query and a request for advice relates to my neighbours extension where it is concerning me that the ventilation extraction is coming out on my side of the property forbidding us to carry out any work to our property.

At the moment I am in the process of building a small 2 meter extension to my kitchen (wall to wall as this property is a terraced house) which will be a little less than the length of my neighbours extension of 3.9 metres and our only being 2 metres, but the main issue is the chimney hood extraction has be placed on the wall joining our properties, therefore forbidding us to carry out any work at this stage.

My neigbours mentioned it would be our responsibility to finance the move of the vent proceeding into our joint wall. I've had to stop the work currently being done at my property and costing me money with my builders.

I tryed to call my council (Hillingdon) but they didnt really provide any useful information.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

many thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/15 16:25, AD wrote:
[...]

A diagram, in ascii art or sketched, photographed and posted to tinypic
would be very useful...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AD" wrote in message
[...]

Bring your side wall in by 6 inches and leave a gap for his extractor to
vent into, will you miss 150mm of space on that side of your kitchen?

Sure it means that he won't be able to access his extractor fan in the
future but that's his problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 January 2015 16:50:12 UTC, Phil L wrote:

Bring your side wall in by 6 inches and leave a gap for his extractor to
vent into, will you miss 150mm of space on that side of your kitchen?

Sure it means that he won't be able to access his extractor fan in the
future but that's his problem.

Why not attach a right-angle round to rectangular adapter to his exhaust duct and then bring a rectangular duct out to roof level through your wall cavity as it is being built? He will not lose access to the fan as that is normally in the cooker hood itself. This might solve the problem cheaply and amicably.

You really don't want him to discharge into a narrow gap between the properties as the humidity of the extracted air might cause problems with any timber there.

A separate question is whether he even has the right to discharge into your back garden at all.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:

"AD" wrote in message
[...]

or even just extend the vent pipe with a bend to take it around and
up out of your roof, but box it in with a sound-proof and fireproof
construction, so nothing that happens in their side can transfer
through into your building.

(Some of this depends if the wall has been built on the boundary as
a party wall, or if it's on their side and just their wall.)

Sure it means that he won't be able to access his extractor fan in the
future but that's his problem.

Some years ago, I came across a similar situation where a neighbour
put a window into an extended party wall. That was not part of their
planning consent, so the neighbour was allowed to brick up their side
of it when they did their extension.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 January 2015 16:25:16 UTC, AD wrote:
Hi All,

Hope you can help me with my issue. Please read below:

My query and a request for advice relates to my neighbours extension where
it is concerning me that the ventilation extraction is coming out on my side
of the property forbidding us to carry out any work to our property.

I think you mean "preventing"

At the moment I am in the process of building a small 2 meter extension to my
kitchen (wall to wall as this property is a terraced house) which will be a
little less than the length of my neighbours extension of 3.9 metres and our
only being 2 metres, but the main issue is the chimney hood extraction has be
placed on the wall joining our properties, therefore preventing us from
carrying out any work at this stage.

My neighbours mentioned it would be our responsibility to finance the move of
the vent proceeding into our joint wall. I've had to stop the work currently
being done at my property and costing me money with my builders.

I tryed to call my council (Hillingdon) but they didn't really provide any
useful information.

Can I suggest posting this to uk.legal.moderated for an opinion on whether your
neighbour is entitled to extract his kitchen into your garden?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/01/2015 17:30, Martin Bonner wrote:

Can I suggest posting this to uk.legal.moderated for an opinion on whether your
neighbour is entitled to extract his kitchen into your garden?

And ask your solicitor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AD wrote:
Hi All,

Hope you can help me with my issue. Please read below:

My query and a request for advice relates to my neighbours extension
where it is concerning me that the ventilation extraction is coming out
on my side of the property forbidding us to carry out any work to our property.

Does his extension come right up to the property boundary? I would have
thought that it was illegal/improper to discharge anything directly into a
neighbour property boundaries like this.

I would start by making enquiries with your local council to check any
plans and to determine when planning permission was sought and granted. If
planning permission wasn't needed, I would have thought building control
would still have something to say about it.

At the very least, it's f*cking inconsiderate.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2015 17:59, Tim+ wrote:
AD wrote:
Hi All,

Hope you can help me with my issue. Please read below:

My query and a request for advice relates to my neighbours extension
where it is concerning me that the ventilation extraction is coming out
on my side of the property forbidding us to carry out any work to our property.

Does his extension come right up to the property boundary? I would have
thought that it was illegal/improper to discharge anything directly into a
neighbour property boundaries like this.

I would start by making enquiries with your local council to check any
plans and to determine when planning permission was sought and granted. If
planning permission wasn't needed, I would have thought building control
would still have something to say about it.

At the very least, it's f*cking inconsiderate.

The property might have been built like this, where the neighbour might
well have this right through established practice rather than
encroachment. Boundary plans are also only nominal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 17:59:34 +0000, Tim+
wrote:

I would start by making enquiries with your local council to check any
plans and to determine when planning permission was sought and granted. If
planning permission wasn't needed, I would have thought building control
would still have something to say about it.

I might have been permitted development, in fact they both might be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I would start by making enquiries with your local council to check any
plans and to determine when planning permission was sought and granted.
If planning permission wasn't needed, I would have thought building
control would still have something to say about it.

I might have been permitted development, in fact they both might be.

permitted development doesn't get round Building Control or the Building
Regulations.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 4:25:16 PM UTC, AD wrote:
[...]

Certainly should have been sorted out earlier, but the best solution might be for you to finance the move of the vent, as long as a sensible design and costing can be agreed. All depends on the layout of their kitchen, etc.
Have you got a quote from your builders ? It might only be a few hundred quid.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

I would offer to pay for anything before establishing whether the existing
extractor meets building regulations. I strongly suspect that it doesn't.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/would/q ? Or wouldn't??

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
/would/q ? Or wouldn't??

Jim K

Indeed, should have been wouldn't.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 16:39, Tim+ wrote:
JimK wrote:
/would/q ? Or wouldn't??

Jim K

Indeed, should have been wouldn't.

Tim

Why? In order to mitigate costs you could pay under protest with the
right to request a refund if the neighbour had no right to net over your
property?

At least you can then get on with things, and if he doesn't agree, just
say he'll be saddled with the daily rate of the builder and labourers at
£x00 per day?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
On 20/01/2015 16:39, Tim+ wrote:
JimK wrote:
/would/q ? Or wouldn't??

Jim K

Indeed, should have been wouldn't.

Tim

Why? In order to mitigate costs you could pay under protest with the
right to request a refund if the neighbour had no right to net over your property?

At least you can then get on with things, and if he doesn't agree, just
say he'll be saddled with the daily rate of the builder and labourers at £x00 per day?

Why do all that before picking up the phone to the council and asking
building control as to legality of it? Shouldn't take long.

If it's illegal advise the neighbour and give him a reasonable time to sort
it out. It it is legal, then negotiate with the neighbour to re-site the
extractor outlet.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
On 20/01/2015 16:39, Tim+ wrote:
JimK wrote:
/would/q ? Or wouldn't??

Jim K

Indeed, should have been wouldn't.

Tim

Why? In order to mitigate costs you could pay under protest with the
right to request a refund if the neighbour had no right to net over
your property?

At least you can then get on with things, and if he doesn't agree, just
say he'll be saddled with the daily rate of the builder and labourers
at £x00 per day?

Why do all that before picking up the phone to the council and asking
building control as to legality of it? Shouldn't take long.

If it's illegal advise the neighbour and give him a reasonable time to
sort it out. It it is legal, then negotiate with the neighbour to
re-site the extractor outlet.

You might even find that the neighbour's extension was built without
Building Control's knowledge.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 18:07, charles wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
On 20/01/2015 16:39, Tim+ wrote:
JimK wrote:
[...]

I would be surprised if it was done without BC.

If it was, it would be useful to look at the plans either way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxxx
writes
On 20/01/2015 18:07, charles wrote:
In article

-septem
ber.org,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
On 20/01/2015 16:39, Tim+ wrote:
JimK wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't. Happens all the time. Comes to light when people try to sell
the property.
If it was, it would be useful to look at the plans either way.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Who said you had to stop and what legal force does the statement have?

If he is just worried for the work he has done and doesn't want to rerout his kitchen apparatus that is his problem and he can't force you to do or stop doing anything that you are legally entitled to do with, at, in or on your property.

He can ask the council to stop you but you can ignore them and make them take you to court.

Usually they will steer clear of neighbours squabbling or even see reason on your side of the affair. But you would be silly to let them affect your decision as if they were the final court of appeal.

First of all have you got the right to do as you wish?
Have you followed all protocols and etcetera?
Or are you just taking advice from someone who doesn't want you to do something he isn't happy with?

Be very careful with the opinions you get on here. A lot of them are even less sensible than mine. Watch out for morons like Harry and quotists like Martin Brown. They may do a lot of careful research on your behalf that is almost tangential to your OP in places but you are unlikely to profit from any of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 January 2015 17:50:12 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

Tim

Read the ****ing OP you nit.