Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pilot light off in summer?

Anyone turn the pilot light of their boiler or gas fire off in summer?

It struck me it would cost a lot of gas over the year (and from what I've read it's anything from £25 to £90 a year).

Then I found this! "With the pilot off, there are still trace amounts of gas molecules in the burner and pilot tubes of your fireplace. The gas companies add a chemical called Mercaptan to the gas which gives it that lovely odor we all know. Spiders are attracted to the smell of the Mercaptan and will sometimes build webs in the pilot and burner tubes when the flow of gas is off. So when you go to turn on your fireplace in the early fall or late summer, it will not work, and you will have to call you local installer to come service the unit. This will cost money."

--
Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink, the young bachelor said, "Say when."
She replied, "Right after that drink."