Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Micro switch question

Rating: 15A AC250V
Withstand Voltage: AC1,0000V 1 Minute
Insulation Resistance: 100M O DC500V
Contact Resistance: 100mO
Soldering Temperatu 250°C Max 3 sec.

I want a micro switch that I will connect to a battery operated buzzer
that will sound when a door is opened. I dont understand the technical
aspects of electrics but would something like the above work ok off say
a couple of AA batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2015 19:23, ss wrote:
Rating: 15A AC250V
Withstand Voltage: AC1,0000V 1 Minute
Insulation Resistance: 100M O DC500V
Contact Resistance: 100mO
Soldering Temperatu 250°C Max 3 sec.

I want a micro switch that I will connect to a battery operated buzzer
that will sound when a door is opened. I dont understand the technical
aspects of electrics but would something like the above work ok off say
a couple of AA batteries.

Probably a bit OTT. Anything like this should be fine, and probably
easier to fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5PCS-White...em5417bfe 700
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 19:23:05 +0000, ss wrote:

Rating: 15A AC250V
Withstand Voltage: AC1,0000V 1 Minute
Insulation Resistance: 100M O DC500V
Contact Resistance: 100mO
Soldering Temperatu 250°C Max 3 sec.

I want a micro switch that I will connect to a battery operated buzzer
that will sound when a door is opened. I dont understand the technical
aspects of electrics but would something like the above work ok off say
a couple of AA batteries.

Maybe.
Incidentally this is a reed switch, a microswitch is something
different.
The problem with using this in the application you describe is that
the switch is normally closed when the magnet is near, that is when
the door is closed in the normal configuration.
So the buzzer will sound when the door is closed and stop when the
door is opened, the opposite of what you want I think.

You could use a transistor or a relay to make it work correctly, but
that might be a hassle for you.

The traditional shop door switch is this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRIEDLAND-...em4 d024aebe6

That will do what you want as long as you just need a burst of ringing
when the door is opened.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 9:37:31 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:
[...]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Normal...em540d00c fb4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 13:59:27 -0800 (PST), misterroy
wrote:

[...]

Nice one!

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2015 20:37, Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 19:23:05 +0000, ss wrote:

Rating: 15A AC250V
Withstand Voltage: AC1,0000V 1 Minute
Insulation Resistance: 100M O DC500V
Contact Resistance: 100mO
Soldering Temperatu 250°C Max 3 sec.

I want a micro switch that I will connect to a battery operated buzzer
that will sound when a door is opened. I dont understand the technical
aspects of electrics but would something like the above work ok off say
a couple of AA batteries.

Maybe.
Incidentally this is a reed switch, a microswitch is something
different.
The problem with using this in the application you describe is that
the switch is normally closed when the magnet is near,

There are reed door switches available with changeover contacts that
would do the job directly e.g.:
http://tinyurl.com/mnepofb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I rigged one up on a garage door with a piezo sounder and a pp3 many moons
back. I found I needed the sort of switch that had a lever on it to make it
easy to mount. You might even be able to buy something like this off the
shelf.
Beware of using those magnet operated switches, though they work for a
while I tened to find them unreliable.

These are the sort of things you often see on windows which are alarmed.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ss" wrote in message
Rating: 15A AC250V
Withstand Voltage: AC1,0000V 1 Minute
Insulation Resistance: 100M O DC500V
Contact Resistance: 100mO
Soldering Temperatu 250°C Max 3 sec.

I want a micro switch that I will connect to a battery operated buzzer
that will sound when a door is opened. I dont understand the technical
aspects of electrics but would something like the above work ok off say a
couple of AA batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 09:05:37 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Beware of using those magnet operated switches, though they work for a
while I tened to find them unreliable.

Reed switches are fragile, the glass/metal seal particulary so. If
that fails so does the switch. IIRC they are not keen on switching
very much power either, at least the small ones, contact failure
and/or magnetisation of the reeds?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 7:23:16 PM UTC, ss wrote:
Rating: 15A AC250V
Withstand Voltage: AC1,0000V 1 Minute
Insulation Resistance: 100M O DC500V
Contact Resistance: 100mO
Soldering Temperatu 250°C Max 3 sec.

I want a micro switch that I will connect to a battery operated buzzer
that will sound when a door is opened. I dont understand the technical
aspects of electrics but would something like the above work ok off say
a couple of AA batteries.

Yes no problem.

I'd avoid reed switches. They're very fussy and tend to fail when used like this. Also when used as door closed detectors, gusts of wind, warping etc result in false alarms too.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
Rating: 15A AC250V
Withstand Voltage: AC1,0000V 1 Minute
Insulation Resistance: 100M O DC500V
Contact Resistance: 100mO
Soldering Temperatu 250°C Max 3 sec.

I want a micro switch that I will connect to a battery operated buzzer
that will sound when a door is opened. I dont understand the technical
aspects of electrics but would something like the above work ok off say
a couple of AA batteries.

Maybe.
Incidentally this is a reed switch, a microswitch is something
different.

A reed switch with a 15 amp AC rating?

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'd avoid reed switches. They're very fussy and tend to fail when used
like this. Also when used as door closed detectors, gusts of wind,
warping etc result in false alarms too.

I've got reed switches on every window and external door. Fitted years
ago. Not ever had a problem. Sound like they weren't correctly installed.

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 11:25:11 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I'd avoid reed switches. They're very fussy and tend to fail when used
like this. Also when used as door closed detectors, gusts of wind,
warping etc result in false alarms too.

I've got reed switches on every window and external door. Fitted years
ago. Not ever had a problem. Sound like they weren't correctly installed.

There are known issues with reed switches. They're no longer used in burglar alarms - they once were - because as well as being electrically issueful there were so many door alignment false alarms. Yours may be fine, but so many were not.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 11:22:22 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
Rating: 15A AC250V Withstand Voltage: AC1,0000V 1 Minute Insulation
Resistance: 100M O DC500V Contact Resistance: 100mO Soldering
Temperatu 250°C Max 3 sec.

I want a micro switch that I will connect to a battery operated buzzer
that will sound when a door is opened. I dont understand the technical
aspects of electrics but would something like the above work ok off
say a couple of AA batteries.

Maybe.
Incidentally this is a reed switch, a microswitch is something
different.

A reed switch with a 15 amp AC rating?

That bit at the top is confusing, and sounds as if the OP read it off
something. The actual text says a battery operated buzzer...I wonder
which he actually wants?

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
There are known issues with reed switches. They're no longer used in
burglar alarms - they once were - because as well as being electrically
issueful there were so many door alignment false alarms. Yours may be
fine, but so many were not.

It could well be there are problems if they are simply thrown in place.
But that can be said for most things.

I can understand pro alarm installers wanting something simpler, though.
Most pro alarm house installations I've seen have been terrible - with
unprotected wires running everywhere. Often down the side of a fitted
carpet - or just tacked to a skirting board. All done in the fastest
possible way. With surface mount reed switches all too easily damaged.

I did my own install - and took a lot of time and trouble to conceal all
the wiring and switches. And as I've said have had zero problems with them.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 1:05:18 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
There are known issues with reed switches. They're no longer used in
burglar alarms - they once were - because as well as being electrically
issueful there were so many door alignment false alarms. Yours may be
fine, but so many were not.

It could well be there are problems if they are simply thrown in place.
But that can be said for most things.

I dont believe that's the problem at all. Doors are prone to move in alignment over time, and gusts of wind can bend them. Both resulted in false alarms.

I can understand pro alarm installers wanting something simpler, though.
Most pro alarm house installations I've seen have been terrible - with
unprotected wires running everywhere. Often down the side of a fitted
carpet - or just tacked to a skirting board. All done in the fastest
possible way. With surface mount reed switches all too easily damaged.

I did my own install - and took a lot of time and trouble to conceal all
the wiring and switches. And as I've said have had zero problems with them.

Indeed. A sample of one system still working does not make it a reliable technology.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
It could well be there are problems if they are simply thrown in place.
But that can be said for most things.

I dont believe that's the problem at all. Doors are prone to move in
alignment over time, and gusts of wind can bend them. Both resulted in
false alarms.

If a gust of wind moves a door enough to trigger a reed switch hardly
worth having that door let alone the alarm.

Of course if a door or window no longer closes properly so the reed is
'on', a timely reminder to sort it.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Never had a problem with the concealled magnets/reed switches on
them. Horrible exposed surace ones are more fussy about position of
magnet/reed.

Absolutely. All mine are concealed types. You have to open a sash window
about an inch to trigger the reed. Much the same with doors.

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

PCB Micro drills and micro end mills" Ignoramus10035 Metalworking 11 September 27th 10 01:07 AM
Nano torture, question re micro threading Stealth Pilot Metalworking 10 October 8th 07 02:11 PM
3-way switch question Bg Home Repair 20 March 19th 07 08:35 PM
Pioneer VSX-D908S micro processor question. David Farber Electronics Repair 9 August 24th 06 03:55 PM
Micro switch source Harold and Susan Vordos Metalworking 10 May 27th 06 08:18 AM