Posted to alt.home.repair
Bg Bg is offline

Default 3-way switch question

Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside and
can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light with 2
switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the hallway
you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in the up or
down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence 3-way switch)
Looking for some means to identify if the light actually on.

Thanks
Bg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bg wrote:

Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside and
can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light with 2
switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the hallway
you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in the up or
down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence 3-way switch)
Looking for some means to identify if the light actually on.

Thanks
Bg

A truly easy/simple way? I doubt it.

Maybe an X-10 device at the light.

An approach I've used for monitoring circuits
like this is to put a very small current transformer
(toroid) in the line. The xfmr secondary can directly
drive a small LED pilot. Not simple and not off-the-shelf.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Yes, well, sort of. You can get an illuminated three way switch. It's handle
is illuminated when the light is off, therefore if it's not illuminated,
you'd know the light is on

"Bg" wrote in message
Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside
and can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light
with 2 switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the
hallway you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in
the up or down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence
3-way switch) Looking for some means to identify if the light actually on.

Thanks
Bg

Posted to alt.home.repair

How does that work? It would have to be somesort of relay in series that
shuts off the light. Seems expensive.
Or is there a simpler way?

"Bg" wrote in message
Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside
and can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light
with 2 switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the
hallway you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in
the up or down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence
3-way switch) Looking for some means to identify if the light actually
on.

Thanks
Bg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:36:03 -0400, Speedy Jim wrote:

Bg wrote:

Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside and
can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light with 2
switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the hallway
you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in the up or
down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence 3-way switch)
Looking for some means to identify if the light actually on.

Thanks
Bg

A truly easy/simple way? I doubt it.

Maybe an X-10 device at the light.

An X10 module does not monitor the load and transmit it's status.
Considering knowing because you turned it on/off, I've known several
with relays that would operate more than once upon receiving a
command. You never know when that happens. The current transformer
solution below should work.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 18, 10:26 am, "Bg" wrote:
Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside and
can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light with 2
switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the hallway
you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in the up or
down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence 3-way switch)
Looking for some means to identify if the light actually on.

Thanks
Bg

Page A2 of the Pass & Seymour/Legrand catalog has what you need:
called pilot lighted switches and with clear or red indicator, #
PS15AC3-CPL or -RPL. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:26:13 -0500, "Bg" wrote:

Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside and
can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light with 2
switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the hallway
you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in the up or
down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence 3-way switch)
Looking for some means to identify if the light actually on.

Thanks
Bg

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_5638-2.htm

They make one that looks like a normal switch. I am just too lazy to
look for one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:26:13 -0500, "Bg" wrote:

Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside and
can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light with 2
switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the hallway
you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in the up or
down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence 3-way switch)
Looking for some means to identify if the light actually on.

It sounds like Terry and Joe have found you a switch, but I wanted to
point out that 3-way switches can be wired more than one way, and if
yours was wired so that one wire from the switch you could see ran
straight to the light, was hot when on and cold when off, you could
just put a little neon light between that wire and ground.

That wouldn't work in the opposite arrangement, and I can't keep the
other arrangements in my head.

Thanks
Bg

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Bg wrote:

[...]

You're unlikely to find a UL listed version.

An approach I've used for monitoring circuits
like this is to put a very small current transformer
(toroid) in the line. The xfmr secondary can directly
drive a small LED pilot. Not simple and not off-the-shelf.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:13:05 -0400, mm
wrote:

It sounds like Terry and Joe have found you a switch, but I wanted to
point out that 3-way switches can be wired more than one way, and if
yours was wired so that one wire from the switch you could see ran
straight to the light, was hot when on and cold when off, you could
just put a little neon light between that wire and ground.

I mean, that wire and neutral. I'm used to using tv words, where the
ground is used.

That wouldn't work in the opposite arrangement, and I can't keep the
other arrangements in my head.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I was unsuccessful trying to find a diagram for it. It appears to me, that
it will only work at the one three way location with the "common" going to
the light, provided you have a neutral at that location

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
Terry wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:26:13 -0500, "Bg" wrote:

Is there a 3-way switch that has a light showing that the light (outside
and can't be seen form the switch) is on. I have an outside garage light
with 2 switches, one in the garage and one in the front hallway. From the
hallway you can't see if the light is on or not. Either switch can be in
the up or down position based on where it was turned on or off. (hence
3-way switch) Looking for some means to identify if the light actually
on.

Thanks
Bg

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_5638-2.htm

They make one that looks like a normal switch. I am just too lazy to
look for one.

I'm skeptical enough about that switch filling the OP's need just by
substituring them for the existing switches that I just pinged Leviton and
asked them for clarification that will be the case, without requiring one
more lead run between the two switch locations, and a neutral available at
both locations as well.

If I get a reply, I'll post it here.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It sounds like Terry and Joe have found you a switch, but I wanted to
point out that 3-way switches can be wired more than one way, and if
yours was wired so that one wire from the switch you could see ran
straight to the light, was hot when on and cold when off, you could
just put a little neon light between that wire and ground.

And you'd need a resistor in series with the neon light too.

I mean, that wire and neutral. I'm used to using tv words, where the
ground is used.

You COULD cheat and connect it to ground, the current drawn by the neon
is only a couple of milliamps, probably not even enough to trip a GFCI
panel breaker feeding the circuit.

But that wouldn't be up to code, so I won't suggest doing it. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Regular illuminated switches work this way (i.e. neon bulb in switch powered
without neutral--i.e. hot and ground) so why would it not meet code to do it
outside the switch?
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

That's how I see it. Maybe that's why they're not making a diagram available

RBM wrote:

I was unsuccessful trying to find a diagram for it. It appears to me,
that it will only work at the one three way location with the "common"
going to the light, provided you have a neutral at that location

That was my take too, it would appear that you'd need one more wire run
between the two switches to bring that "common" you mentioned back to the
hot side of the pilot in the other switch, and a neutral available for the
pilot at that switch too.

Jeff

Terry wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think the "regular illuminated switches" you're referring to are only
illuminated when the light controlled by the switch is OFF.

Their illumination is generally required to help you locate the switch
"in the dark", and once the light it controls is lit, you can see the
switch fine so it doesn't need to be illuminated.

Those switches work by putting a little neon bulb and series resistor
right across the switch contacts. Thus, when the contacts are open, the
couple of milliamps of current needed to light the neon bulb flows
through whatever load the switch is controlling (most likely a light
bulb) to neutral.

Capice?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The same type of small neon lamp (with resistor) can be connected between
the travelers at either switch or at both. It will light whenever the
controlled light is off. It may glow slightly when the light is on,
depending on the capacitance and leakage of the travelers, but if so a small
resistor in parallel with it will eliminate that.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marilyn & Bob wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

[...]

Good point Don.

And since the OP wasn't specific in saying the pilots had to light in
phase with the garage light, his operative words being, "Looking for
some means to identify if the light actually on", your way would satisfy
his request.

Though, I'd expect most folks would prefer to have a LIT pilot to clue
them that the garage light is still on. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

You could also replace the existing switches with Insteon switches,
they have an indicator light I believe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Mar 2007 06:46:55 -0700, "djenkins6"
wrote:

You could also replace the existing switches with Insteon switches,
they have an indicator light I believe.

Expensive, but probably good. Here's a link:
http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/ER/nav.aspx
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."