Gary Kamieneski

Default 3-Way Switch Question

I have several 3-way circuits around the house, top and bottom of
stairs and at the 2 entrances to several rooms. Some lights turn on
when switches are opposite (one up one down), while others work when
both switches are up. Is it just personal preference or luck as to
how these traveller wires are connected or is there a recommended way?
John Harlow

Gary Kamieneski wrote:
I have several 3-way circuits around the house, top and bottom of
stairs and at the 2 entrances to several rooms. Some lights turn on
when switches are opposite (one up one down), while others work when
both switches are up. Is it just personal preference or luck as to
how these traveller wires are connected or is there a recommended way?

Flip of a coin when they're wired. If you don't like the way it is, turn
one of the switches upside down.

Greg

It may just be the computer guy in me but I like orderly "exclusive or's". Both
up/down is on.
It really makes no difference.
mwlogs

Not sure I understand your point here. Let say I start out with them both
"down" which in a single switch setting is the 'off' position. I flip the
switch at the bottom of the stairs up turning on the lights. So now I'm one
up, one down and ON. If I flip the switch at the top of the stairs to turn
OUT the light when I reach the top, both will now be UP and the lights off.
Now way to get them BOTH up or down and be ON in this condition.

To get that to occur, one would have to be UP and the other DOWN when the
light was off. Then toggling one to turn on the light would cause it to
end up in the same position as the other (up or down) when the light was on,
but opposite when the light was off.

Of course the whole scenario falls apart when you introduce a 4-way setup!