Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob Marilyn & Bob is offline

Default 3-way switch question

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
mm wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:13:05 -0400, mm
wrote:

It sounds like Terry and Joe have found you a switch, but I wanted to
point out that 3-way switches can be wired more than one way, and if
yours was wired so that one wire from the switch you could see ran
straight to the light, was hot when on and cold when off, you could
just put a little neon light between that wire and ground.

And you'd need a resistor in series with the neon light too.

I mean, that wire and neutral. I'm used to using tv words, where the
ground is used.

You COULD cheat and connect it to ground, the current drawn by the neon is
only a couple of milliamps, probably not even enough to trip a GFCI panel
breaker feeding the circuit.

But that wouldn't be up to code, so I won't suggest doing it. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Regular illuminated switches work this way (i.e. neon bulb in switch powered
without neutral--i.e. hot and ground) so why would it not meet code to do it
outside the switch?
--
Peace,
BobJ