Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The chimes, the chimes...

The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.

No idea, but I did wonder if you ever sorted out your needles.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:45:40 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

indicator: piezo bleeping disc, it will simply click at each switching. If not loud enough, add a tiny transformer plus series cap. Don't feed them over 100v or they wont last. Or you can just use a small speaker with series cap.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

That's what I already have for the reversing bleeper. Not a pleasant noise.

I'd like something more akin to a musical chord. Pleasant sound rather
than just a warning. And three different ones.

We had a Renault van at work which had a very pleasant chime as one of the
warnings.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.

No idea, but I did wonder if you ever sorted out your needles.

No. Distinct lack of ideas from here. And elsewhere. ;-)

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue
interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

A Rover eh?
Better to get another car.
You'll just complete the work and it'll fail it's MOT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

My Saab chimes quite pleasantly as a seatbelt reminder and also bongs
when a warning appears on the SID - perhaps you can extract the relevant
bits at a breakers ... alternatively it might be time to get the
soldering iron out and make something with a 555 timer!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

Find a suitable sample and record it into one of these:
http://www2.nuvoton.com/NuvotonMOSS/...a-2e0e457048b3

Some of them have 'record' and 'play' pins so you can just treat it like a
(very small) tape deck.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

How about the bong unit from an E46/E39? They've got several pins which
just get dragged high or low for the different sounds.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

If its anywhere near modern, it will all be done via a data bus. The
data determines which noise to make, the sounder just makes the noise.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

If its anywhere near modern, it will all be done via a data bus. The
data determines which noise to make, the sounder just makes the noise.

surely you've been here long enough to know that Dave's Rover is an SD1,
and doesn't really count as modern in this context :-)

I find the indicator clicker on our 2009 Ford Galaxy annoyingly quiet -
above about 40 you can't hear it, and so I can drive for ages before I
notice the indicator light on the dash.

I suspect though that adding something to make a louder noise isn't
straightforward on such a recent car.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
I find the indicator clicker on our 2009 Ford Galaxy annoyingly quiet -
above about 40 you can't hear it, and so I can drive for ages before I
notice the indicator light on the dash.

That's the problem I have too. It has an early electronic flasher unit
which is nowhere as loud as the old bi-metal strip type. But if I had an
electronically generated noise via an amp and speaker, would be easy
enough to make it as loud as I want. Even to make it louder as background
noise goes up.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
I find the indicator clicker on our 2009 Ford Galaxy annoyingly quiet -
above about 40 you can't hear it, and so I can drive for ages before I
notice the indicator light on the dash.

That's the problem I have too. It has an early electronic flasher unit
which is nowhere as loud as the old bi-metal strip type. But if I had an
electronically generated noise via an amp and speaker, would be easy
enough to make it as loud as I want. Even to make it louder as background
noise goes up.

Wouldn’t be hard to do with an arduino or even a pi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue
interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

Adapt something like this, maybe ?

http://www.mascon.com/atw/security-p...c_Chime-PC300/

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue
interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

Or this :

http://www.eleccircuit.com/musical-c...41-oscillator/

or this :

http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/sae800_...b437aca e687b

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

I had the same problem with the indicators in my home built LR/RR hybrid. I
wired in a beeper from a Saab car in the breakers yard. Perhaps you could
find one in a breakers with a tone you like.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The old Rover has a couple of aftermarket things which buzz or bleep.
Lights on warning, and reversing sensor, both of which sound rather
horrid. The indicator clicker is also rather quiet - and I can't see the
warning lights when the wheel is set to the most comfortable position for
me.

So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue
interface.

I can find ones that do a selection of alarm tones - or play various tunes
- but not anything car chime specific.

I'm happy to add an amp and speaker - it would be nice to be able to have
a user adjustable volume level too.

Adapt something like this, maybe ?

http://www.mascon.com/atw/security-p...c_Chime-PC300/

Never thought of a door bell - the idea is good. Don't much like the sound
of that one though - too much like a door bell. I'll have a look and see
what else is available. I'd really like 3 discrete sounds which carry on
for as long as required.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
[...]

The ones as supplied with the reversing sensors was too quiet - by the
time it was buried inside the instrument housing - so I did fit an
external sounder to that. That is loud enough - perhaps too loud - but
still just a beep.

I'd ideally like to be able to adjust the level of each one easily - and
perhaps have an auto function so it adjusts the level according to
background noise - especially for the indicators.

It's probably something a Raspberry Pi etc could do easily - but writing
software simply isn't my thang. ;-)

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

Find a suitable sample and record it into one of these:
http://www2.nuvoton.com/NuvotonMOSS/...a-2e0e457048b3

Some of them have 'record' and 'play' pins so you can just treat it like a
(very small) tape deck.

It turns out they're cheap as chips on ebay. Search for 'ISD voice', prices
start at GBP1.63 including delivery from Hong Kong.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

Find a suitable sample and record it into one of these:
http://www2.nuvoton.com/NuvotonMOSS/...a-2e0e457048b3

Some of them have 'record' and 'play' pins so you can just treat it like a
(very small) tape deck.

It turns out they're cheap as chips on ebay. Search for 'ISD voice', prices
start at GBP1.63 including delivery from Hong Kong.

Should have said, that price is for the chip on a board with all the bits
you need. Here's a multi-recording one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/voice-reco...em4 adf2d6843

though you may find it simpler to take three single recording ones and wire
them to switches or whatever:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISD1820-Vo...item2ecdb025c8

They both seem to have onboard mics, but suspect it wouldn't be hard to
bodge that into a line in instead.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
Theo Markettos wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
So what I'd like is some form of chime generator or generators that give a
selection of different 'appropriate' noises and with an analogue interface.

Find a suitable sample and record it into one of these:
http://www2.nuvoton.com/NuvotonMOSS/...a-2e0e457048b3

Some of them have 'record' and 'play' pins so you can just treat it like a
(very small) tape deck.

It turns out they're cheap as chips on ebay. Search for 'ISD voice', prices
start at GBP1.63 including delivery from Hong Kong.

Thanks Theo - I'll investigate.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
I find the indicator clicker on our 2009 Ford Galaxy annoyingly quiet -
above about 40 you can't hear it, and so I can drive for ages before I
notice the indicator light on the dash.

That's the problem I have too. It has an early electronic flasher unit
which is nowhere as loud as the old bi-metal strip type. But if I had an
electronically generated noise via an amp and speaker, would be easy
enough to make it as loud as I want. Even to make it louder as background
noise goes up.

Wouldn't be hard to do with an arduino or even a pi.

Could do but niether are really amplifiers, might prove to be more expensive too and quite a bit of faffing about.
This might be OK
http://www.rapidonline.com/audio-vis...or-kit-70-4124
-----------
The Following Effects may be Generated Directly by Means of a Push Button Machine Gun, European Siren, Phasor Gun, Racing Car with Motor Howl, Screeching of Car Tires on a Curve, Explosion, Mortar Fire Followed by Explosion, Wild Charge Tune or Snake Charmers Tune, US Siren, Ideal Device for DJs, Jingles for Radio Stations or Just to Attract Attention.
-------------------
Or to annoy someone, they left that use off the list
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Could do but niether are really amplifiers, might prove to be more
expensive too and quite a bit of faffing about. This might be OK
http://www.rapidonline.com/audio-vis...or-kit-70-4124
----------- The Following Effects may be Generated Directly by Means of
a Push Button Machine Gun, European Siren, Phasor Gun, Racing Car with
Motor Howl, Screeching of Car Tires on a Curve, Explosion, Mortar Fire
Followed by Explosion, Wild Charge Tune or Snake Charmers Tune, US
Siren, Ideal Device for DJs, Jingles for Radio Stations or Just to
Attract Attention.

That is the sort of thing - I've already got a couple of chips that do
similar FX - like various alarm sounds - but was looking for something
more musical. That wouldn't irritate so much when hearing it a lot. ;-)

--
*If a thing is worth doing, wouldn't it have been done already?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Chris French wrote

I find the indicator clicker on our 2009 Ford Galaxy annoyingly
quiet - above about 40 you can't hear it, and so I can drive for
ages before I notice the indicator light on the dash.

That's the problem I have too. It has an early electronic flasher
unit which is nowhere as loud as the old bi-metal strip type.
But if I had an electronically generated noise via an amp and
speaker, would be easy enough to make it as loud as I want.
Even to make it louder as background noise goes up.

Wouldn't be hard to do with an arduino or even a pi.

Could do but niether are really amplifiers,

Don't need an amplifier when you are using a digital device
to produce some tones by driving a speaker or piezo directly.

might prove to be more expensive too

Nope, you don't need a damned thing, just
the digital device and the speaker/piezo.

Ideal for having it auto adjust the sound level to the
background noise and do whatever you decided to
do when more than one sound is required at once.

and quite a bit of faffing about.

Lot more with a separate say micro tape deck for each
sound, particularly with varying the intensity with the
background noise and with more than one going off
at a time etc.

This might be OK
http://www.rapidonline.com/audio-vis...or-kit-70-4124
-----------
The Following Effects may be Generated Directly by Means of a Push Button
Machine
Gun, European Siren, Phasor Gun, Racing Car with Motor Howl, Screeching of
Car Tires
on a Curve, Explosion, Mortar Fire Followed by Explosion, Wild Charge Tune
or Snake
Charmers Tune, US Siren, Ideal Device for DJs, Jingles for Radio Stations
or Just to
Attract Attention.
-------------------

Doesn't have anything like the flexibility of an arduino
or a pi with getting exactly the sound you want for each.
A device that can play any mp3 you can find that you
like the sound of leave that for dead flexibility wise.

Corse given that Dave isnt into programming, it might
be better for him, but that's a separate issue entirely.

Or to annoy someone, they left that use off the list

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Could do but niether are really amplifiers, might prove to be more
expensive too and quite a bit of faffing about. This might be OK
http://www.rapidonline.com/audio-vis...or-kit-70-4124
----------- The Following Effects may be Generated Directly by Means of
a Push Button Machine Gun, European Siren, Phasor Gun, Racing Car with
Motor Howl, Screeching of Car Tires on a Curve, Explosion, Mortar Fire
Followed by Explosion, Wild Charge Tune or Snake Charmers Tune, US
Siren, Ideal Device for DJs, Jingles for Radio Stations or Just to
Attract Attention.

That is the sort of thing - I've already got a couple of chips that do
similar FX - like various alarm sounds - but was looking for something
more musical. That wouldn't irritate so much when hearing it a lot. ;-)

You get a hell of a lot more flexibility with a digital device that
can play any mp3s you can find that you like the sound of.

**** all programming involved in using an arduino or a pi
to play a different mp3 given which digital input it sees and
even to vary the volume with the background noise level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
That is the sort of thing - I've already got a couple of chips that do
similar FX - like various alarm sounds - but was looking for something
more musical. That wouldn't irritate so much when hearing it a lot. ;-)

You get a hell of a lot more flexibility with a digital device that
can play any mp3s you can find that you like the sound of.

Yes - being able to use a samples of my choice would be ideal.

**** all programming involved in using an arduino or a pi
to play a different mp3 given which digital input it sees and
even to vary the volume with the background noise level.

When you say f-all, you actually mean some?

--
*IF A PARSLEY FARMER IS SUED, CAN THEY GARNISH HIS WAGES?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
That is the sort of thing - I've already got a couple of chips that do
similar FX - like various alarm sounds - but was looking for something
more musical. That wouldn't irritate so much when hearing it a lot. ;-)

You get a hell of a lot more flexibility with a digital device that
can play any mp3s you can find that you like the sound of.

Yes - being able to use a samples of my choice would be ideal.

**** all programming involved in using an arduino or a pi
to play a different mp3 given which digital input it sees and
even to vary the volume with the background noise level.

When you say f-all, you actually mean some?

You obviously have to tell it which mp3 to play when a particular
digital input changes state, so yes, a very trivial amount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201019368904

seem to have onboard mics, but suspect it wouldn't be hard to
bodge that into a line in instead.

I bet each one of those non-SMD components costs more than £1.04 from
Maplin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Surely though, if two warnings might sound at the same time a single device
would not work.

If a single device had multiple triggers, I'd imagine they would each
act as an input to a priority encoder?

Tuning Grandfather Clock chimes Sonny Woodworking 1 August 24th 14 05:02 PM
Tuning Grandfather Clock chimes [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 24th 14 04:09 PM
Dead door chimes KenK Home Repair 9 January 15th 14 01:55 AM
Wired door chimes The Medway Handyman UK diy 19 October 9th 12 05:58 PM
byron doorbell chimes walter UK diy 7 September 20th 09 01:20 PM