Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default You are 2nd year apprentice - what would you do?

Your task is to cut out a doormat that is partially covered by a new wall in
the entrance to a shopping centre. You decide to use the angle grinder, the
110V transformer and the 230V extension lead. However after plugging the
extension lead into one of the sockets in a shop when you come to use the
angle grinder you have a power problem. Using the knowledge you have picked
up in the last 15 months you quickly and correctly identify the 230V
extension lead is at fault.

So do you?

a) Plug the 110V transformer into to the socket in the shop and then use the
110V extension lead to power the angle grinder

b) Examine the plug connections and the fuse on the 230V extension lead and
then using the knowledge and skills you you have picked up over the last 15
months fix the faulty extension lead

c) Plug the transformer into the socket that is right next to the doormat
and complete the job without using any extension leads.

d) Walk aimlessly around the shopping centre for 30 minutes searching for me
whilst carrying the faulty extension lead with you. And don't even think
about winding up the lead before walking around the shops looking for me -
you need to drag 10m of trailing flex behind you.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2014 19:53, ARW wrote:
[...]

Not a difficult choice if you eliminate the options that actually
involve doing work.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:53:56 PM UTC, ARW wrote:
[...]

I think my preferred option would be c - but then I like to avoid extension leads wherever possible, so I might have omitted the initial part of that sequence and gone straight for it.
I'm assuming that the actual option chosen was d)...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:53:47 +0000, ARW wrote:

So do you?

How many years is this apprenticeship?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 19:53:47 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

[...]

None of the above.
e) Wire a BS 1363 plug to the 110 side of the transformer and see how
much faster the AG runs on 440v

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 19:53:47 -0000, "ARW" wrote:

d) Walk aimlessly around the shopping centre for 30 minutes searching for me
whilst carrying the faulty extension lead with you. And don't even think
about winding up the lead before walking around the shops looking for me -
you need to drag 10m of trailing flex behind you.

e) as above, and when asked why, answer "because pushing 10m of flex didn't
work".

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2014 19:53, ARW wrote:
[...]

I'd go for b first, then d, and if I could find you, I would try c as a
last resort, lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

You missed the correct one which is

e) Get out mobile phone to call you and discover that your number is not in
it. Sit on floor in everyone's way, and check Faceache, ****ter, text
friends etc, until you turn up back on the scene ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2014 19:53, ARW wrote:
Your task is to cut out a doormat that is partially covered by a new
wall in the entrance to a shopping centre. You decide to use the angle
grinder, ......

First of all someone has built a wall across a doormat, and left the
doormat in place???

And to cut a doormat you use an angle grinder???

What country is this?

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well even a first year should be able to see that if there is a socket right
next to the job, you can finish it, and take the bits back to base and fix
it in the comfort of the workshop.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 November 2014 19:53:56 UTC, ARW wrote:
[...]

First I'd have a go at the **** that gave me a faulty extention lead and ask WTF is this ?
I would not repair the lead as in *my* job opening up the plug invalids the @Passed@ sticker and the device would need to be checked by the 'cough' compendent testers we get on site about once a year.
So that extention block could NOT be used until checked and stickered by 'pros'.

I'm not sure I'd use an angle grinder to cut a door mat, I'd choose a stanley type knife first. I've also heard napalm and TNT can be used on door mats :-)
Also for removing students from the lab after hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/11/2014 19:53, ARW wrote:

d) Walk aimlessly around the shopping centre for 30 minutes searching
for me whilst carrying the faulty extension lead with you. And don't
even think about winding up the lead before walking around the shops
looking for me - you need to drag 10m of trailing flex behind you.

This must be what you have trained him to do. I have no idea why, though?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2014 12:00, whisky-dave wrote:
I'm not sure I'd use an angle grinder to cut a door mat, I'd choose a stanley type knife first. ....

As this is at the entrance to a shopping centre, I would expect the mat
to be a steel or aluminium grid, possibly with rubber or carpet inserts.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-05, ARW wrote:

Your task is to cut out a doormat that is partially covered by a new wall in
the entrance to a shopping centre. You decide to use the angle grinder, the

What the heck is the doormat made of that calls for an angle grinder?

110V transformer and the 230V extension lead. However after plugging the
extension lead into one of the sockets in a shop when you come to use the
angle grinder you have a power problem. Using the knowledge you have picked
up in the last 15 months you quickly and correctly identify the 230V
extension lead is at fault.

Does the apprentice get partial credit for identifying the fault?

So do you?

a) Plug the 110V transformer into to the socket in the shop and then use the
110V extension lead to power the angle grinder

b) Examine the plug connections and the fuse on the 230V extension lead and
then using the knowledge and skills you you have picked up over the last 15
months fix the faulty extension lead

c) Plug the transformer into the socket that is right next to the doormat
and complete the job without using any extension leads.

d) Walk aimlessly around the shopping centre for 30 minutes searching for me
whilst carrying the faulty extension lead with you. And don't even think
about winding up the lead before walking around the shops looking for me -
you need to drag 10m of trailing flex behind you.

I think we've all guessed that this isn't a hypothetical story....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:53:47 +0000, ARW wrote:

So do you?

How many years is this apprenticeship?

4 years.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

e) borrow the van and nip down to a local shed and get a new and better
extension lead?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:53:56 PM UTC, ARW wrote:
So do you?

f) go and 'read' all the top-shelf magazines in the newsagent's.

(or don't newsagents sell top-shelf magazines any more?)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 18:25:02 +0000, ARW wrote:

How many years is this apprenticeship?

4 years.

Year two of four, and you're actually letting him loose with extension
leads? **** me, is he on the fast-track?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2014 09:35, Tim w wrote:
On 05/11/2014 19:53, ARW wrote:
Your task is to cut out a doormat that is partially covered by a new
wall in the entrance to a shopping centre. You decide to use the angle
grinder, ......

First of all someone has built a wall across a doormat, and left the
doormat in place???

And to cut a doormat you use an angle grinder???

Of course you use an angle grinder to cut a doormat. WD40 [1] just won't
do it.

[1] which is the only other solution recommended on uk.d-i-y
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:40:41 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

Of course you use an angle grinder to cut a doormat. WD40 [1] just won't
do it.

[1] which is the only other solution recommended on uk.d-i-y

Gaffer tape?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2014 09:54, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:40:41 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

Of course you use an angle grinder to cut a doormat. WD40 [1] just won't
do it.

[1] which is the only other solution recommended on uk.d-i-y

Gaffer tape?

Nah. You can't cut a doormat with gaffer tape :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:57:16 +0000, Andrew May
wrote:

On 07/11/2014 09:54, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:40:41 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

Of course you use an angle grinder to cut a doormat. WD40 [1] just won't
do it.

[1] which is the only other solution recommended on uk.d-i-y

Gaffer tape?

Nah. You can't cut a doormat with gaffer tape :-)

What about using a Mattock.

G Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 November 2014 22:22:11 UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 18:25:02 +0000, ARW wrote:

How many years is this apprenticeship?

4 years.

Year two of four, and you're actually letting him loose with extension
leads? **** me, is he on the fast-track?

This also reminds me of some students.

monkey dust :- Kelly, work experience girl,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmdTGJxIhg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Of course you use an angle grinder to cut a doormat. WD40 [1] just won't
do it.

It will, just needs somewhat higher pressure. Or ignition. Or both

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2014 09:35, Tim w wrote:
On 05/11/2014 19:53, ARW wrote:
Your task is to cut out a doormat that is partially covered by a new
wall in the entrance to a shopping centre. You decide to use the angle
grinder, ......

First of all someone has built a wall across a doormat, and left the
doormat in place???

And to cut a doormat you use an angle grinder???

Of course you use an angle grinder to cut a doormat. WD40 [1] just won't
do it.

[1] which is the only other solution recommended on uk.d-i-y

Car body filler.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRm...l=davedavedean

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/It will, just needs somewhat higher pressure./q

Pressure washer

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2014 18:46, ARW wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 07/11/2014 13:49, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 6 November 2014 22:22:11 UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 18:25:02 +0000, ARW wrote:

How many years is this apprenticeship?

4 years.

Year two of four, and you're actually letting him loose with extension
leads? **** me, is he on the fast-track?

This also reminds me of some students.

monkey dust :- Kelly, work experience girl,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmdTGJxIhg

loved that series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRm...l=davedavedean

I'm sure it was him at our local bus stop the other day. Actually there
was a flock of them in school uniform. Fortunately some of the girls
were pretty, so they might stand a chance in life
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2014 18:46, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRm...l=davedavedean

Life eventually imitates art... I was in a local shop recently and the
work experience made tea without boiling the water. 18+ and completely
oblivious to the need.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2014 11:20, F wrote:
On 07/11/2014 18:46, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRm...l=davedavedean

Life eventually imitates art... I was in a local shop recently and the
work experience made tea without boiling the water. 18+ and completely
oblivious to the need.

There are lots of way to make tea.
Its only black tea that needs boiling water and even then some people
like it stewed by boiling it on the stove for several minutes.
You should never use boiling water with Chinese green tea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2014 14:07, Dennis@home wrote:
On 08/11/2014 11:20, F wrote:
On 07/11/2014 18:46, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRm...l=davedavedean

Life eventually imitates art... I was in a local shop recently and the
work experience made tea without boiling the water. 18+ and completely
oblivious to the need.

There are lots of way to make tea.
Its only black tea that needs boiling water and even then some people
like it stewed by boiling it on the stove for several minutes.
You should never use boiling water with Chinese green tea.

Sigh.

OK, so I should have said 'I was in a local shop recently and the work
experience made tea without boiling the water for a tea that needed
boiling water...'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/14 14:07, Dennis@home wrote:
On 08/11/2014 11:20, F wrote:
On 07/11/2014 18:46, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRm...l=davedavedean

Life eventually imitates art... I was in a local shop recently and the
work experience made tea without boiling the water. 18+ and completely
oblivious to the need.

There are lots of way to make tea.
Its only black tea that needs boiling water and even then some people
like it stewed by boiling it on the stove for several minutes.
You should never use boiling water with Chinese green tea.

My entire set of inlaws seem to disagree with you there...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew May
writes
On 06/11/2014 09:35, Tim w wrote:
On 05/11/2014 19:53, ARW wrote:
Your task is to cut out a doormat that is partially covered by a new
wall in the entrance to a shopping centre. You decide to use the angle
grinder, ......

First of all someone has built a wall across a doormat, and left the
doormat in place???

And to cut a doormat you use an angle grinder???

Of course you use an angle grinder to cut a doormat. WD40 [1] just
won't do it.

[1] which is the only other solution recommended on uk.d-i-y

You've overlooked pressure washer.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"Dennis@home" writes
On 08/11/2014 11:20, F wrote:
On 07/11/2014 18:46, ARW wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRm...l=davedavedean

Life eventually imitates art... I was in a local shop recently and the
work experience made tea without boiling the water. 18+ and completely
oblivious to the need.

There are lots of way to make tea.
Its only black tea that needs boiling water and even then some people
like it stewed by boiling it on the stove for several minutes.
You should never use boiling water with Chinese green tea.

But neither should it be stone cold.
--
bert

OT The apprentice in London ARW UK diy 62 January 26th 14 12:45 PM
New Apprentice ARW UK diy 4 October 25th 12 08:54 AM
That's one less apprentice ARWadsworth UK diy 61 June 25th 12 09:44 PM
Apprentice has reported me to his Mum ARWadsworth UK diy 143 February 14th 12 09:29 PM
PLUMBERS APPRENTICE? MR CLOSE Home Repair 0 July 2nd 05 07:22 PM