Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Indespension Trailer book

I have had the narrow Indespension manual for many years and built a few
trailers, using their parts and based on the plans in the book.

The new A4 sized ... book has a lot more information ........ bought it
and dumped the old book.

However just noticed today that the section on Trailer plans is not in
the new book ......... Indespension confirm they have 'discontinued'
providing the plans.

About now I feel stupid for throwing away old manual ....

Does nay one have the old manual, and feel like scanning the plans
section and putting them somewhere for download ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rick Hughes
writes
I have had the narrow Indespension manual for many years and built a
few trailers, using their parts and based on the plans in the book.

The new A4 sized ... book has a lot more information ........ bought it
and dumped the old book.

However just noticed today that the section on Trailer plans is not in
the new book ......... Indespension confirm they have 'discontinued'
providing the plans.

About now I feel stupid for throwing away old manual ....

Does nay one have the old manual, and feel like scanning the plans
section and putting them somewhere for download ?

Can't help, sorry.

While you are here, do you have any experience of repairing old
suspension units?

I have an ancient four wheel plant trailer which has stood loaded for so
long that the suspension units do not recover to the 30deg. mentioned in
the catalogue. Having priced some replacements, I put it back in the
barn!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 15:04, Tim Lamb wrote:

While you are here, do you have any experience of repairing old
suspension units?

Only unbolting them and bolting on new one ... the rubber suspension
units are not repairable .. the hubs/brakes etc. are

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rick Hughes
writes
On 31/07/2014 15:04, Tim Lamb wrote:

While you are here, do you have any experience of repairing old
suspension units?

Only unbolting them and bolting on new one ... the rubber suspension
units are not repairable .. the hubs/brakes etc. are

In that case... can I interest you in a 30cwt (yes it is that old!)
plant trailer?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:52:44 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

I have had the narrow Indespension manual for many years and built a few
trailers, using their parts and based on the plans in the book.

The new A4 sized ... book has a lot more information ........ bought it
and dumped the old book.

However just noticed today that the section on Trailer plans is not in
the new book ......... Indespension confirm they have 'discontinued'
providing the plans.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact all trailers needing
a single approval must be inspected and approved before use now. The
big manufacturers get type approval.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-04-trailers

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have had the narrow Indespension manual for many years and built a few
trailers, using their parts and based on the plans in the book.

The new A4 sized ... book has a lot more information ........ bought it
and dumped the old book.

However just noticed today that the section on Trailer plans is not in
the new book ......... Indespension confirm they have 'discontinued'
providing the plans.

About now I feel stupid for throwing away old manual ....

Does nay one have the old manual, and feel like scanning the plans
section and putting them somewhere for download ?

There have been at least two A4 sized indespension books over the years with the
plans in, dating sometime from the late 80's to the mid 90's. I can't even
recall ever seeing a *smaller* version. I will still have copies about somewhere
as that kind of thing never gets thrown away - although I can't even think where
they would be.

They presumably discontinued the plans because of the EU mandated plating / type
approval requirements that effectively made homebuilds 'illegal' from a couple
of years ago - albeit easy to circumvent for 'unplated' trailers with a few dabs
of paint, spray on rust and mud etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You might know the bloody EU would have something to do with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , harryagain
writes

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Probably something to do with French farmers towing grain trailers
behind a 2CV!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 18:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
Do they not have any of the old ones? This sounds like a cock up on their
side to me.
Brian

They said they have discontinued including plans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2014 23:01, The Other Mike wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:52:44 +0100, Rick Hughes

There have been at least two A4 sized indespension books over the years with the
plans in, dating sometime from the late 80's to the mid 90's. I can't even
recall ever seeing a *smaller* version. I will still have copies about somewhere
as that kind of thing never gets thrown away - although I can't even think where
they would be.

My trailer book (I stupidly threw out) was around 1985 vintage ...

A4 in length but only 1/2 the width.

If you have A4 books with plans in, could you scan them ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2014 10:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , harryagain
writes

You might know the bloody EU would have something to do with it.

Probably something to do with French farmers towing grain trailers
behind a 2CV!

Home made Sir ... ah you would be using Hacksaw ... you could cut
yourself, so we can't advise anything that could make us liable ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Aug 2014 19:17:28 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

If you have A4 books with plans in, could you scan them ?

Rick, I'll not be back home until around early October, give me a ping on here
and I'll have a look for them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If you have A4 books with plans in, could you scan them ?

Rick, I'll not be back home until around early October, give me a ping on here
and I'll have a look for them.

Cheers ... I will do

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rick Hughes , John Dawe wrote:
rick_hughes wrote:

Cheers ... I will do

I also had that book it was brilliant. I used it for all sorts of
projects while teaching engineering but unfortunately lent it to an HNC
student to help with his project and never saw it again. He showed it to
a mate who showed it to a mate who showed . . . .

Any chance of anyone loaning me a copy to photocopy? I live in Andover
and will travel 40 to 50 miles to get my paws on one if you don't trust
the Post Office.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rick Hughes , brownie wrote:
rick_hughes wrote:

I have had the narrow Indespension manual for many years and built a few
trailers, using their parts and based on the plans in the book.
The new A4 sized ... book has a lot more information ........ bought it
and dumped the old book.
However just noticed today that the section on Trailer plans is not in
the new book ......... Indespension confirm they have 'discontinued'
providing the plans.
About now I feel stupid for throwing away old manual ....
Does nay one have the old manual, and feel like scanning the plans
section and putting them somewhere for download ?

ive got one if you text me i will send you your plans
regards phil
07806781622

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did they say why? My feeling is that it might well not be legal to build
them nowadays.
brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to

? -- UK SelfBuild: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/UK_Selfbuild/

ive got one if you text me i will send you your plans
regards phil
07806781622

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:54:06 -0000, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

Did they say why? My feeling is that it might well not be legal to build
them nowadays.
brian

Still legal, they *just* need to go through a single vehicle approval
system now.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to brownie, Johhnyscenic1 wrote:
Hi There-I am a recent newcomer to this site, having purchased a Indespension
braked coupling,plus braked units,plus 3 wheels and tyres in anticipation of
building a trailer in the near future-I am now lacking any plans,sadly-having
seen this thread-would it be possible to kindly supply me with any? Many
Thanks,John.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ok-987200-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johhnyscenic1 wrote:
replying to brownie, Johhnyscenic1 wrote:
Hi There-I am a recent newcomer to this site, having purchased a
Indespension
braked coupling,plus braked units,plus 3 wheels and tyres in
anticipation of
building a trailer in the near future-I am now lacking any
plans,sadly-having
seen this thread-would it be possible to kindly supply me with any? Many
Thanks,John.

I built this with no plans from scratch, did scribble some basic
scribblings out of my head.

http://tinypic.com/r/20h39di/9

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to F Murtz, AndyT wrote:
Looks a good purpose built trailer when I followed the link.. Yes - EU
legislation seems to be trying to kill off home built trailers even using EU
stamped parts like lights and brakes. I built one years ago and still have the
Indespension books from the early 80's. In those days it was a book of plans
with the parts list at the back on pink pages.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ok-987200-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 May 2016 17:44:04 UTC+1, AndyT wrote:
replying to F Murtz, AndyT wrote:
Looks a good purpose built trailer when I followed the link.. Yes - EU
legislation seems to be trying to kill off home built trailers even using EU
stamped parts like lights and brakes. I built one years ago and still have the
Indespension books from the early 80's. In those days it was a book of plans
with the parts list at the back on pink pages.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ok-987200-.htm

In many EUSSR countries, trailers have to have an "MOT."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rick Hughes, Thomas James Hughes wrote:
I have a Indespension 480d no side storage box where can i get one with lock.
Tia..

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ok-987200-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rick Hughes, Thomas James Hughes wrote:
I have a Indespension 480d on side has no storage box it the box with a lock
on do you know where I can get one please Tia

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ok-987200-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder how old this one is?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Thomas James Hughes" m
wrote in message
oupdirect.com...
replying to Rick Hughes, Thomas James Hughes wrote:
I have a Indespension 480d no side storage box where can i get one with
lock.
Tia..

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ok-987200-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2019 20:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
I wonder how old this one is?

2014 originally, but some guy called Gaff last posted on it two years later.

(It wasn't you that resurrected it though)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I wonder how old this one is?

Only a little kid, 5

"Thomas James Hughes" m
wrote in message
oupdirect.com...
replying to Rick Hughes, Thomas James Hughes wrote:
I have a Indespension 480d no side storage box where can i get one with
lock.
Tia..

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ok-987200-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 09:39:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I wonder how old this one is?

Only a little kid, 5

It can't be as old as you, you 85-year-old trolling senile pest!

cretin from Oz: