Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default LED floodlight question

I want to get a floodlight installed before end of summer, I am not
looking for an intense light like the halogen type give off, just a
reasonable light to cover an area about 5 x 7 meters.
I looked at this on ebay and wonder if it will be sufficient light as I
dont yet have any LED lights.
Its 10 watt and apparently 100w halogen equivelent, it has 10 LEDs and
would be mains wired.

Link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-Motion...em5 b014bbb38
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/24/2014 06:06 PM, ss wrote:
I want to get a floodlight installed before end of summer, I am not
looking for an intense light like the halogen type give off, just a
reasonable light to cover an area about 5 x 7 meters.
I looked at this on ebay and wonder if it will be sufficient light as I
dont yet have any LED lights.
Its 10 watt and apparently 100w halogen equivelent, it has 10 LEDs and
would be mains wired.

Link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-Motion...em5 b014bbb38

Yes, if you just need a soft light and to be able to see what's going
on. Of course you get bit better coverage, with it mounted a higher.

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2014 18:06, ss wrote:
I want to get a floodlight installed before end of summer, I am not
looking for an intense light like the halogen type give off, just a
reasonable light to cover an area about 5 x 7 meters.
I looked at this on ebay and wonder if it will be sufficient light as I
dont yet have any LED lights.
Its 10 watt and apparently 100w halogen equivelent, it has 10 LEDs and
would be mains wired.

Link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-Motion...em5 b014bbb38

I have a 10watt led over a door, and a 20watt over my patio, and they
both work a treat, giving the coverage I want.

I have had them for a while now, and bought them from Amazon, Sirius
Lighting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob H wrote:
I have a 10watt led over a door, and a 20watt over my patio, and they
both work a treat, giving the coverage I want.

Out of interest, is a 10 watt LED truly a 100 watt halogen equivalent?

I have an occasional use 100 watt halogen lighting the back garden and
would happily replace it - but do actually need that amount of light.

When most of these things say "100 watt equivalent" I find they are lying.
And not by a small margin either.

--
*Too many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob H wrote:
I have a 10watt led over a door, and a 20watt over my patio, and they
both work a treat, giving the coverage I want.

Out of interest, is a 10 watt LED truly a 100 watt halogen equivalent?

I have an occasional use 100 watt halogen lighting the back garden and
would happily replace it - but do actually need that amount of light.

When most of these things say "100 watt equivalent" I find they are lying.
And not by a small margin either.

Well, put it this way, the said 10watt led light gives us a good enough
light to put a key in the door easily. The area that it lights is about
2 square meters, which is plenty good enough for us.
It could give us more coverage if I wanted it to but I don't.

It totally depends on your needs which size to get.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob H wrote:
In article ,
Bob H wrote:
I have a 10watt led over a door, and a 20watt over my patio, and they
both work a treat, giving the coverage I want.

Out of interest, is a 10 watt LED truly a 100 watt halogen equivalent?

I have an occasional use 100 watt halogen lighting the back garden and
would happily replace it - but do actually need that amount of light.

When most of these things say "100 watt equivalent" I find they are lying.
And not by a small margin either.

Well, put it this way, the said 10watt led light gives us a good enough
light to put a key in the door easily. The area that it lights is about
2 square meters, which is plenty good enough for us.
It could give us more coverage if I wanted it to but I don't.

It totally depends on your needs which size to get.

I was hoping for something more scientific than that. Many CFLs are
notorious for quoting silly equivalents. Not having much experience of
LED, I wondered if they were the same.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:32:23 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Out of interest, is a 10 watt LED truly a 100 watt halogen equivalent?

Highly unlikely... I've put up a 10 W single chip LED light it's
output is around that of a 60 W GLS ina bulkhead fitting. Ample light
to move a round safely etc over an area similar size to the OP.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:32:23 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Out of interest, is a 10 watt LED truly a 100 watt halogen equivalent?

Highly unlikely... I've put up a 10 W single chip LED light it's
output is around that of a 60 W GLS ina bulkhead fitting. Ample light
to move a round safely etc over an area similar size to the OP.

An estate near to me has lights that are probably 500 watts and are all
pointing straight ahead. Not sure what they are supposed to be illuminating
- other than the houses on the other side of the road.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob H wrote:
I have a 10watt led over a door, and a 20watt over my patio, and they
both work a treat, giving the coverage I want.

Out of interest, is a 10 watt LED truly a 100 watt halogen equivalent?

I have an occasional use 100 watt halogen lighting the back garden and
would happily replace it - but do actually need that amount of light.

When most of these things say "100 watt equivalent" I find they are lying.
And not by a small margin either.

It would 100W equivalent be if they could widen the beam angle.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:04:08 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

An estate near to me has lights that are probably 500 watts and are all
pointing straight ahead. Not sure what they are supposed to be
illuminating - other than the houses on the other side of the road.

Thicko installers, installing during the day. Our little 10 W LED
thing is almost horizontal to stop the thing shinging down the road
and into the eyes of drivers. The cutoff isn't that good though, the
light "escaping" is reduced but not to nothing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:04:08 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

An estate near to me has lights that are probably 500 watts and are all
pointing straight ahead. Not sure what they are supposed to be
illuminating - other than the houses on the other side of the road.

Thicko installers, installing during the day. Our little 10 W LED
thing is almost horizontal to stop the thing shinging down the road
and into the eyes of drivers. The cutoff isn't that good though, the
light "escaping" is reduced but not to nothing.

I think the design makes it all too easy to point them horizonatally (which
means that half the light is illuminating nothing useful as it is going
upwards).
I also think that if feeds to ego of some people to feel that they can
illuminate neibouring properties. (Or perhaps some are just plain old
thick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:47:13 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I think the design makes it all too easy to point them horizonatally
(which means that half the light is illuminating nothing useful as it is
going upwards).

And fups up peoples view of the stars. You townies don't know what
you are missing and clear night. B-)

I also think that if feeds to ego of some people to feel that they can
illuminate neibouring properties.

Which, if not illegal, is definately frowned upon. Ego is fuelled by
having multiple 500 W halogens on all night. Which defeats the
purpose as any shadows are so dark you could hide a whole army of
tealeaves in them.

(Or perhaps some are just plain old thick)

That's what I'd go for, not helped by the design of the lamps they
ought to have some form of decent cut off around the top 120 to 150
degrees to prevent light escaping upwards. The instructions also
ought to show the cut off only reaching the property boundary instead
of the lamp being aimed directly at "target" many feet away.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

[...]

Absolutely agree. Many owners are thinking they can illuminate the air!

Standalone PIR for LED floodlight F[_2_] UK diy 3 December 2nd 13 03:21 PM
That Floodlight from Lidl PeterC UK diy 22 October 8th 11 11:22 AM
Floodlight has Mind of it's Own.... Frank B. Home Repair 5 December 20th 06 03:03 AM
Floodlight Kroma UK diy 20 November 12th 05 12:25 AM
CF Floodlight? [email protected] UK diy 4 August 30th 05 11:00 PM