Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default LED floodlight question

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:47:13 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I think the design makes it all too easy to point them horizonatally
(which means that half the light is illuminating nothing useful as it
is going upwards).

And fups up peoples view of the stars. You townies don't know what
you are missing and clear night. B-)

I also think that if feeds to ego of some people to feel that they
can illuminate neibouring properties.

Which, if not illegal, is definately frowned upon. Ego is fuelled by
having multiple 500 W halogens on all night. Which defeats the
purpose as any shadows are so dark you could hide a whole army of
tealeaves in them.

(Or perhaps some are just plain old thick)

That's what I'd go for, not helped by the design of the lamps they
ought to have some form of decent cut off around the top 120 to 150
degrees to prevent light escaping upwards. The instructions also
ought to show the cut off only reaching the property boundary instead
of the lamp being aimed directly at "target" many feet away.

Absolutely agree. Many owners are thinking they can illuminate the air!