Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default That Floodlight from Lidl

Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's IP44
which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.
If it were for my use I'd put it up and just do a bit of extra sealing but
as it's for a neighbour, to replace a defunct one, I don't want to take a
risk.
Would it be OK or should I return it and get a 'proper' one (IP*5/6)?

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2011 08:42, PeterC wrote:
Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's IP44
which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.
If it were for my use I'd put it up and just do a bit of extra sealing but
as it's for a neighbour, to replace a defunct one, I don't want to take a
risk.
Would it be OK or should I return it and get a 'proper' one (IP*5/6)?

IP X4 means it is proof against water splashing against it from any
direction, which is the usual minimum for rain. IP X5 is only needed if
it is likely to be hit by a low power jet of water. So, don't put it
where a gutter can overflow onto it and it should be fine.

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

It probably is a PIR.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 08:42:26 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's
IP44 which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.

The second 4 means wikipedia:

"Splashing water - Water splashing against the enclosure from any
direction shall have no harmful effect. Test duration: 5 minutes
Water volume: 10 litres per minute Pressu 80-100 kN/m²."

So exposed to driving rain is probably outside the spec but sheltered
would fit your "just about OK for outdoor use".

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

Same thing, different words.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 09:31:42 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 04/10/2011 08:42, PeterC wrote:
Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's IP44
which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.
If it were for my use I'd put it up and just do a bit of extra sealing but
as it's for a neighbour, to replace a defunct one, I don't want to take a
risk.
Would it be OK or should I return it and get a 'proper' one (IP*5/6)?

IP X4 means it is proof against water splashing against it from any
direction, which is the usual minimum for rain. IP X5 is only needed if
it is likely to be hit by a low power jet of water. So, don't put it
where a gutter can overflow onto it and it should be fine.

Most such lights are somewhere below gutters :-(

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

It probably is a PIR.

Well could be. A PIR senses motion but other devices do TAAAW.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 11:43:07 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 08:42:26 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's
IP44 which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.

The second 4 means wikipedia:

"Splashing water - Water splashing against the enclosure from any
direction shall have no harmful effect. Test duration: 5 minutes
Water volume: 10 litres per minute Pressu 80-100 kN/m²."

So exposed to driving rain is probably outside the spec but sheltered
would fit your "just about OK for outdoor use".

Yes, big spots, especially where 2 hit the same place with hardly any delay,
are v. bad. Some hubs I had would stand a lot of rain but the thunderstorm
type would start grease coming out.

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

Same thing, different words.

I did wonder.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

A PIR senses motion but other devices do TAAAW.

TAAAW? That acronynm (if that's what it is) has defeated me, I'm afraid.
I'd appreciate a translation.

Many thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
PeterC wrote:

A PIR senses motion but other devices do TAAAW.

TAAAW? That acronynm (if that's what it is) has defeated me, I'm
afraid. I'd appreciate a translation.

Too, also and as well. HTH

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

Too, also and as well. HTH

It does, thanks. Though the value of an acronym that requires five letters
to express the same meaning as a single three-letter word rather escapes me.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2011 08:42, PeterC wrote:
Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's IP44
which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.
If it were for my use I'd put it up and just do a bit of extra sealing but
as it's for a neighbour, to replace a defunct one, I don't want to take a
risk.
Would it be OK or should I return it and get a 'proper' one (IP*5/6)?

I would suggest IP44 is adequate for an outside light in most cases.
That covers being splashed (i.e. rained on) from any direction.

Protection against water jets is overkill in most cases.

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

It probably *is* a PIR motion sensor.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2011 13:38, PeterC wrote:
[...]

However, gutters usually tend to overflow at a low point, rather than
along their entire length.

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

It probably is a PIR.

Well could be. A PIR senses motion but other devices do TAAAW.

Somehow, I suspect a light from Lidl would use the least cost option.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules :
John Williamson wrote:

Too, also and as well. HTH

It does, thanks. Though the value of an acronym that requires five
letters to express the same meaning as a single three-letter word
rather escapes me.

That's outdone by "www", which has three times as many syllables as the
words it's abbreviating.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2011-10-04, Bert Coules wrote:

It does, thanks. Though the value of an acronym that requires five letters
to express the same meaning as a single three-letter word rather escapes me.

It's an escapee from the shed (uk.rec.sheds) where such linguistic foibles
are commonplace.

I think it escaped to the shed from 2eggs ...
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-10-04, Mike Barnes wrote:
Bert Coules :
John Williamson wrote:

Too, also and as well. HTH

It does, thanks. Though the value of an acronym that requires five
letters to express the same meaning as a single three-letter word
rather escapes me.

That's outdone by "www", which has three times as many syllables as the
words it's abbreviating.

I pronounce it "dub-dub-dub".

"wibble" has a long pedigree and even fewer syllables.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge :
In article , Huge
On 2011-10-04, Mike Barnes wrote:
Bert Coules :
John Williamson wrote:

Too, also and as well. HTH

It does, thanks. Though the value of an acronym that requires five
letters to express the same meaning as a single three-letter word
rather escapes me.

That's outdone by "www", which has three times as many syllables as the
words it's abbreviating.

I pronounce it "dub-dub-dub".

"wibble" has a long pedigree and even fewer syllables.

Hmmm. Me likey.

The really good bit is, you can almost always leave the "www." out
altogether. Which makes it a whopping *ten* completely superfluous
syllables. But people keep saying it anyway.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 16:59:40 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 04/10/2011 08:42, PeterC wrote:
Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's IP44
which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.
If it were for my use I'd put it up and just do a bit of extra sealing but
as it's for a neighbour, to replace a defunct one, I don't want to take a
risk.
Would it be OK or should I return it and get a 'proper' one (IP*5/6)?

I would suggest IP44 is adequate for an outside light in most cases.
That covers being splashed (i.e. rained on) from any direction.

Protection against water jets is overkill in most cases.

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

It probably *is* a PIR motion sensor.

Thanks folks - I've decided to go ahead and fit it. Alternative sources are
from 50% more.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2011 11:43, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 08:42:26 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

Same thing, different words.

I'm not sure it's *exactly* the same. AIUI, a pure PIR senses the
presence of a hot body and stays on as long as that body is in range
(plus any built-in time delay). A motion sensor, on the other hand,
senses a *moving* hot body. I've got one on one of my outside lights. If
I move into range, the light comes on. If I then stand still, while
remaining in range, it goes out again. Pain in the arse if you're trying
to see in order to do something which doesn't need much movement.

Incidentally, I don't know how bright those Lidl lamps are. I know they
use low energy bulbs - and are thus equivalent to conventional bulbs
with a higher wattage - but I doubt whether they'd provide any
competition for my 500w tungsten-halogen jobbies.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 23:07:19 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

On 04/10/2011 11:43, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 08:42:26 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

Same thing, different words.

I'm not sure it's *exactly* the same. AIUI, a pure PIR senses the
presence of a hot body and stays on as long as that body is in range
(plus any built-in time delay). A motion sensor, on the other hand,
senses a *moving* hot body. I've got one on one of my outside lights. If
I move into range, the light comes on. If I then stand still, while
remaining in range, it goes out again. Pain in the arse if you're trying
to see in order to do something which doesn't need much movement.

We had those in the bogs at work - you can guess the result. A colleague did
a cartoon of an employee being carried out on a stretcher, with the caption
"He was shaking it so hard to keep the light on that he ruptured himself".

Incidentally, I don't know how bright those Lidl lamps are. I know they
use low energy bulbs - and are thus equivalent to conventional bulbs
with a higher wattage - but I doubt whether they'd provide any
competition for my 500w tungsten-halogen jobbies.

It's just to light a small patio, so anything over 4m from the house will be
a bonus. The current light is far too bright for the job. I don't know the
wattage as I would have to drill out the screw; also the lamp has failed (to
come on - could be a fault elsewhere).

I'll mount the new one centrally and a couple of metres higher then the
light will be more useful.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge :
In article , Huge
On 2011-10-04, Mike Barnes wrote:
Bert Coules :
John Williamson wrote:

Too, also and as well. HTH

It does, thanks. Though the value of an acronym that requires five
letters to express the same meaning as a single three-letter word
rather escapes me.

That's outdone by "www", which has three times as many syllables as the
words it's abbreviating.

I pronounce it "dub-dub-dub".

"wibble" has a long pedigree and even fewer syllables.

Hmmm. Me likey.

The really good bit is, you can almost always leave the "www." out
altogether. Which makes it a whopping *ten* completely superfluous
syllables. But people keep saying it anyway.

For some years now I've said "The wibble is..." to mean the web address,
then brief education - job done.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 09:31:42 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 04/10/2011 08:42, PeterC wrote:
Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's IP44
which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.
If it were for my use I'd put it up and just do a bit of extra sealing but
as it's for a neighbour, to replace a defunct one, I don't want to take a
risk.
Would it be OK or should I return it and get a 'proper' one (IP*5/6)?

IP X4 means it is proof against water splashing against it from any
direction, which is the usual minimum for rain. IP X5 is only needed if
it is likely to be hit by a low power jet of water. So, don't put it
where a gutter can overflow onto it and it should be fine.

Put it up yesterday. Getting on nicely, cable stripped and ready to connect,
when a sharp shower came on. Terminal box open of course and front plate
fastened securely but not tight. Tipped the fitting back to shelter the
'lectrics, down the ladder, rescue Makita box, get placcy bag and cover
fitting.
Break for neighbour's apple crumbel and custard.
Dries up, finished wiring, some Plumbers Putty, thinly rolled, on the seal
and fit the cover.
Lamp was a bugger to get in. It's a 4-fold CFL on an adaptor (CFL not
detachable) to fit in place of a standard halogen tube, so it's difficult to
get it in and not apply force to the CFL. There's an anti-rotation block
(due to the overhung weight of the CFL) that means only one way of doing it,
so the reflector had to withstand some deformation by the end of the CFL.

Anyway, all back together, set the pots to try it in daylight - quite
impressive. Bright light (I suspect it's not 'warm white') on quickly. Gave
it a couple of runs in dusk, still a bit of tweaking to do.
At least it can be fitted with a tube.

Now need to fit a PIR to the front light as they're both on the same switch.
Her last BF is an electrician and his work is not good, I've had to correct
some of it and there's still some to do - a cheap 4-way extension lead
hard-wired into a socket in the kitchen! It could have 13A on 1.25mm flex
straight to the ring!

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Low energy floodlight? [email protected] UK diy 15 January 3rd 08 06:33 PM
Floodlight has Mind of it's Own.... Frank B. Home Repair 5 December 20th 06 03:03 AM
Cable for 150W Floodlight [email protected] UK diy 3 June 17th 06 09:28 AM
Floodlight Kroma UK diy 20 November 12th 05 12:25 AM
CF Floodlight? [email protected] UK diy 4 August 30th 05 11:00 PM