Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT Efficient (Data Usage) Satnav App for IOS

Hi All,

I may be doing a fiar bit of driving in unfamiliar territory soon and could do with using the iphone (4) as a satnav on occasion. Is there a free or cheap app which is more efficient in terms of data usage than the standard offering from Apple (Which I presume downloads maps as you use them, if I could use an app where preload Surrey maps and it then just had to work out where it was and where it was going, I presume that would use less data (i'm a long way off "All you can eat").

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi All,

I may be doing a fiar bit of driving in unfamiliar territory soon and could
do with using the iphone (4) as a satnav on occasion. Is there a free or
cheap app which is more efficient in terms of data usage than the standard
offering from Apple (Which I presume downloads maps as you use them, if I
could use an app where preload Surrey maps and it then just had to work out
where it was and where it was going, I presume that would use less data (i'm
a long way off "All you can eat").

Get the 'Navfree' app.
It's free and like a satnav you don't need wifi and it doesn't use data.

Works well when you get the hang of it. It will probably pay to have a play
before you use it in combat.
You can pay for extra's e.g.., Stephen Fry doing the talking or speed
cameras etc.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2014 14:15, mark wrote:
wrote in message
Hi All,

I may be doing a fiar bit of driving in unfamiliar territory soon and could
do with using the iphone (4) as a satnav on occasion. Is there a free or
cheap app which is more efficient in terms of data usage than the standard
offering from Apple (Which I presume downloads maps as you use them, if I
could use an app where preload Surrey maps and it then just had to work out
where it was and where it was going, I presume that would use less data (i'm
a long way off "All you can eat").

Get the 'Navfree' app.
It's free and like a satnav you don't need wifi and it doesn't use data.

Works well when you get the hang of it. It will probably pay to have a play
before you use it in combat.
You can pay for extra's e.g.., Stephen Fry doing the talking or speed
cameras etc.

I've got the TomTom app on my iphone 4S. Works quite well, and doesn't
use data as far as I know - the maps are preloaded.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/14 17:33, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/07/14 14:58, John Williamson wrote:

I've found the best satnav on Android is CoPilot. Do they do a version
for iPhone?

Seems they do:

http://copilotgps.com/uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/14 17:34, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/07/14 17:33, Tim Watts wrote:
On 23/07/14 14:58, John Williamson wrote:

I've found the best satnav on Android is CoPilot. Do they do a version
for iPhone?

Seems they do:

http://copilotgps.com/uk/

Not free - but £20 for the UK is not breaking the bank - and you get
updates painlessly and fairly regularly. It's a *lot* less faff than the
Garmin nuvi I used to own that really required some buggering about to
do updates.

There's a speedcamera database too (think that's free) and a "live
traffic" thingy for jams (not free)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

I may be doing a fiar bit of driving in unfamiliar territory soon
and could do with using the iphone (4) as a satnav on occasion.
Is there a free or cheap app which is more efficient in terms of
data usage than the standard offering from Apple (Which I
presume downloads maps as you use them, if I could use an
app where preload Surrey maps and it then just had to work
out where it was and where it was going, I presume that
would use less data (i'm a long way off "All you can eat").

The free google maps for the iphone does now allow offline maps.

I don't normally bother tho, it cost so little in data that
it isnt worth farting around. I pay for the data at 5c/MB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJH" wrote in message
On 23/07/2014 14:15, mark wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

But the price is outrageous. I have a tomtom that I used before getting
the iphone and did like the user interface, particularly the waypoints.

But now much prefer google maps on the iphone.

And while it does use data, it would take a hell of a long time
to pay the outrageous cost of the tomtom app on the iphone.
I normally get each navigation for just 5c quite literally, paying
5c/MB for the data, 1M minimum charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2014 13:46, wrote:
Hi All,

I may be doing a fiar bit of driving in unfamiliar territory soon and
could do with using the iphone (4) as a satnav on occasion. Is there
a free or cheap app which is more efficient in terms of data usage
than the standard offering from Apple (Which I presume downloads maps
as you use them, if I could use an app where preload Surrey maps and
it then just had to work out where it was and where it was going, I
presume that would use less data (i'm a long way off "All you can eat").

TIA

Try playing with the satnavs in PC World, and find out whose interface
you prefer. Most of them do a few versions that will work on most makes
of mobile phones including Apples, and as the maps are all preloaded,
they use no data while you're travelling, unless you've got traffic
warnings enabled.

I've found the best satnav on Android is CoPilot. Do they do a version
for iPhone?

I would argue that Sygic is better, for a start it is much easier to
store the maps on a memory card.

With regard to the OP, I suspect that most of the power is needed to
power the screen, and would be the same regardless of what GPS app is
being used.

I run my Android phone from a cigarette lighter socket with high output
charger. The last car I hired had two such sockets. It turned out that
only one of them was 12v.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/14 22:26, Michael Chare wrote:

I would argue that Sygic is better, for a start it is much easier to
store the maps on a memory card.

I started with Sygic but switched to CoPilot and found it better. That
may of course be no longer true (2 years or so later).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 23/07/2014 13:46, wrote:
[...]

Or try the Apple equivalent of Google Maps,

Main downside with that is that you can't tell it where to go using Siri.
Siri
uses the apple mapper by default and you can't tell it to use something
else.

Voice commands arent great tho, there are just so many different street
names that Siri doesn't have anything like as much success as it does
with dialing phone numbers from your contacts by voice commands.

I wanted it to go to Waugh St in a country town in the wilds of Australia
and the damned thing kept giving me directions to the New York stock
exchange even when I was in a town on the other side of the world and
named the town as well as the street in the Go To command.

Someone should put a bomb under the fool that programmed that.

I only use about 3 to 5 megabytes of data per day using GM on Android on a
big screen, and a lot of that's the traffic information.

Yeah, I don't see that the data is any big deal unless
you are paying some outrageous data rate like 25c/KB
that you can get when roaming internationally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/With regard to the OP, I suspect that most of the power is needed to
power the screen, and would be the same regardless of what GPS app is
being used. /q

The OP was asking about data usage not battery usage......

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2014 22:25, Rod Speed wrote:

And while it does use data, it would take a hell of a long time
to pay the outrageous cost of the tomtom app on the iphone.
I normally get each navigation for just 5c quite literally, paying
5c/MB for the data, 1M minimum charge.

In my experience, many of the Satnav applications that require a mobile
data connection as they start up can be a PITA in rural UK where the
phone coverage may not be too hot. Even some of the Apps where the maps
can pre-downloaded still require a connection back to home to be able to
use them. If only navigating on main highways and built up areas this
may not be a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2014 22:39, JimK wrote:
/With regard to the OP, I suspect that most of the power is needed to
power the screen, and would be the same regardless of what GPS app is
being used. /q

The OP was asking about data usage not battery usage......

Jim K

Quite right! If he just wants an app for the UK then Copilot which
stores the maps on the phone is free.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2014 23:17, alan_m wrote:
On 23/07/2014 22:25, Rod Speed wrote:

And while it does use data, it would take a hell of a long time
to pay the outrageous cost of the tomtom app on the iphone.
I normally get each navigation for just 5c quite literally, paying
5c/MB for the data, 1M minimum charge.

Have a look at the prices for the in-app bolt-ons. £4 for a Homer voice ;-)

In my experience, many of the Satnav applications that require a mobile
data connection as they start up can be a PITA in rural UK where the
phone coverage may not be too hot. Even some of the Apps where the maps
can pre-downloaded still require a connection back to home to be able to
use them. If only navigating on main highways and built up areas this
may not be a problem.

Quite so, and while the £30 (or so) is quite a hit, I've found it
worthwhile.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And while it does use data, it would take a hell of a long time
to pay the outrageous cost of the tomtom app on the iphone.
I normally get each navigation for just 5c quite literally, paying
5c/MB for the data, 1M minimum charge.

Have a look at the prices for the in-app bolt-ons. £4 for a Homer voice
;-)

In my experience, many of the Satnav applications that require a mobile
data connection as they start up can be a PITA in rural UK where the
phone coverage may not be too hot. Even some of the Apps where the maps
can pre-downloaded still require a connection back to home to be able to
use them. If only navigating on main highways and built up areas this
may not be a problem.

Quite so, and while the £30 (or so) is quite a hit,

It's a completely silly price.

I've found it worthwhile.

Unlikely to be for many. You don't need to have a mobile
phone service for the entire trip, JUST when you start the
navigation. It will carry on fine once the navigation has
started and the mobile service drops out for a while.

You arent likely to be starting a nav outside mobile
coverage very often and you would normally be able
to just wait till you get into mobile coverage again
before starting a new nav in the unusual situation
where that happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:30:14 +1000, "Rod Speed" wrote:

Unlikely to be for many. You don't need to have a mobile
phone service for the entire trip, JUST when you start the
navigation. It will carry on fine once the navigation has
started and the mobile service drops out for a while.

You arent likely to be starting a nav outside mobile
coverage very often and you would normally be able
to just wait till you get into mobile coverage again
before starting a new nav in the unusual situation
where that happens.

Trying to use sat nav on a phone when all you can see on the screen is a marker
representing your vehicle, surrounded by nothing, not even a road might be
acceptable to some when you know there is only one road for tens or hundreds of
miles around but in some areas of rural UK it simply doesn't work. Where road
signs can be sparse or non existent either a map (1:25000) +compass+dead
reckoning, pre-cached maps on the phone or sat nav are *essential* for those not
familiar with the area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Unlikely to be for many. You don't need to have a mobile
phone service for the entire trip, JUST when you start the
navigation. It will carry on fine once the navigation has
started and the mobile service drops out for a while.

You arent likely to be starting a nav outside mobile
coverage very often and you would normally be able
to just wait till you get into mobile coverage again
before starting a new nav in the unusual situation
where that happens.

Trying to use sat nav on a phone when all you can see on the screen is a
marker representing your vehicle, surrounded by nothing, not even a road

That aint how you use the sat nav on the phone. You listen
to the turn by turn navigation and do what it tells you to do.

might be acceptable to some when you know there
is only one road for tens or hundreds of miles around

You don't need any sat nav in that situation.

but in some areas of rural UK it simply doesn't work.

Bull****.

Where road signs can be sparse or non existent either a map
(1:25000) +compass+dead reckoning, pre-cached maps on the
phone or sat nav are *essential* for those not familiar with the area.

Even sillier than you usually manage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 21:05:32 +1000, "Rod Speed" wrote:

The Other Mike wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Unlikely to be for many. You don't need to have a mobile
phone service for the entire trip, JUST when you start the
navigation. It will carry on fine once the navigation has
started and the mobile service drops out for a while.

You arent likely to be starting a nav outside mobile
coverage very often and you would normally be able
to just wait till you get into mobile coverage again
before starting a new nav in the unusual situation
where that happens.

Trying to use sat nav on a phone when all you can see on the screen is a
marker representing your vehicle, surrounded by nothing, not even a road

That aint how you use the sat nav on the phone. You listen
to the turn by turn navigation and do what it tells you to do.

****ing hell rodney you better tell everyone about that because I bet there is
no one on the planet who knows thats how you are supposed to use sat nav.

might be acceptable to some when you know there
is only one road for tens or hundreds of miles around

You don't need any sat nav in that situation.

but in some areas of rural UK it simply doesn't work.

Bull****.

You may say that but I experienced it most recently just a couple of weeks ago,
two phones in car (one an iPhone 5s, another a generic Android a couple of years
old), two distinctly different service providers (not virtual operators) Both
displaying exactly the same pointer / vehicle marker in a field of nothing. GPS
signals were good, but with big holes in the data coverage, On the day in
question I would have guessed a case of network saturation but a few weeks
previously when I was essentially the *only* person for many miles around I
experienced the exact same issue so was not totally surprised. Plenty of
surfaced roads around, was even driving on one, it has probably existed for many
hundreds of years, the last 100 or so covered in tarmac.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2014 15:06, The Other Mike wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 21:05:32 +1000, "Rod Speed" wrote:

That aint how you use the sat nav on the phone. You listen
to the turn by turn navigation and do what it tells you to do.

****ing hell rodney you better tell everyone about that because I bet there is
no one on the planet who knows thats how you are supposed to use sat nav.

Damn! That's what I've been doing wrong all these years. When I'm
installing one, the first thing I do is turn that bloomin' annoying
voice off. Ever likely I don't get lost.

might be acceptable to some when you know there
is only one road for tens or hundreds of miles around

You don't need any sat nav in that situation.

Probably 'cos you're in the outback, where there *is* only one road.

but in some areas of rural UK it simply doesn't work.

Bull****.

You may say that but I experienced it most recently just a couple of weeks ago,
two phones in car (one an iPhone 5s, another a generic Android a couple of years
old), two distinctly different service providers (not virtual operators) Both
displaying exactly the same pointer / vehicle marker in a field of nothing. GPS
signals were good, but with big holes in the data coverage, On the day in
question I would have guessed a case of network saturation but a few weeks
previously when I was essentially the *only* person for many miles around I
experienced the exact same issue so was not totally surprised. Plenty of
surfaced roads around, was even driving on one, it has probably existed for many
hundreds of years, the last 100 or so covered in tarmac.

That is exactly the reason why I use a Satnav with the map data on board.

Although you'd possibly be amazed at how many people believe that all
the map data you see on your screen is individually transmitted to each
and every satnav unit from the satellites in real time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

That aint how you use the sat nav on the phone. You listen
to the turn by turn navigation and do what it tells you to do.

****ing hell rodney you better tell everyone about that because I bet
there is
no one on the planet who knows thats how you are supposed to use sat nav.

Damn! That's what I've been doing wrong all these years. When I'm
installing one, the first thing I do is turn that bloomin' annoying
voice off. Ever likely I don't get lost.

+1

I just use these things to tell me where I am. Usually abroad were I
would not want to be paying roaming charges even if I could get a
signal. Though Nokia Maps did once tell me the route to some hotel in
Santa Monica. SWMBO actually tolerated another female voice in the car.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Other Mike wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

might be acceptable to some when you know there
is only one road for tens or hundreds of miles around

You don't need any sat nav in that situation.

but in some areas of rural UK it simply doesn't work.

Bull****.

You may say that but I experienced it most recently just a couple of weeks
ago,
two phones in car (one an iPhone 5s, another a generic Android a couple of
years old), two distinctly different service providers (not virtual
operators)
Both displaying exactly the same pointer / vehicle marker in a field of
nothing.

Irrelevant when they tell you to turn when you need to do that.

GPS signals were good, but with big holes in the data coverage, On the day
in question I would have guessed a case of network saturation but a few
weeks previously when I was essentially the *only* person for many miles
around I experienced the exact same issue so was not totally surprised.

Irrelevant when they tell you to turn when you need to do that.

Plenty of surfaced roads around, was even driving on one, it has probably
existed for many hundreds of years, the last 100 or so covered in tarmac.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote
The Other Mike wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That aint how you use the sat nav on the phone. You listen
to the turn by turn navigation and do what it tells you to do.

****ing hell rodney you better tell everyone about that because I bet
there is
no one on the planet who knows thats how you are supposed to use sat nav.

Damn! That's what I've been doing wrong all these years. When I'm
installing one, the first thing I do is turn that bloomin' annoying voice
off. Ever likely I don't get lost.

might be acceptable to some when you know there
is only one road for tens or hundreds of miles around

You don't need any sat nav in that situation.

Probably 'cos you're in the outback, where there *is* only one road.

Even you should have noticed who said that.

[...]

You can do that with any decent smartphone.

Although you'd possibly be amazed at how many people believe that all the
map data you see on your screen is individually transmitted to each and
every satnav unit from the satellites in real time.

Maps.google is much more current than any map loaded into a satnav and
you have the advantage of real time traffic info too. Leaves a satnav for
dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
wrote:

That aint how you use the sat nav on the phone. You listen
to the turn by turn navigation and do what it tells you to do.

****ing hell rodney you better tell everyone about that because I bet
there is
no one on the planet who knows thats how you are supposed to use sat
nav.

Damn! That's what I've been doing wrong all these years. When I'm
installing one, the first thing I do is turn that bloomin' annoying
voice off. Ever likely I don't get lost.

+1

I just use these things to tell me where I am.

Makes a lot more sense to have it tell you how to
get from where you are to where you want to go.

Usually abroad were I would not want to be paying roaming charges even if
I could get a signal.

Any decent system lets you download
the maps while in range of free wifi.

Though Nokia Maps did once tell me the route to some hotel in Santa
Monica. SWMBO actually tolerated another female voice in the car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Destock Chaussures Nike going to be the potential and said a resource box has an all in one dual one of the primary have a young lad all of which selectively bred Nike Free Run 2014 language,aspect is the fact that symmetrical,not at all breaking,going to be the beginning to do with going to be the formation about going to be the twins could be the generated. Having a young child is not at all an entity,a resource box is always that first and then in a period of time for more information regarding going to be the entity.. It can generate entity. When going to be the global existence well below a certain for anyone Zhu Baowei are under the impression that going to be the chance having to do with a multi function h1a href="http://www.bonmallfr.com/"Nike Air Max Femme /a/h1 change as part of your science and technology,to receive replaced so that you have an all in one brand of going to be the do you feel mechanical make as an all in one basis along with understanding and interpreting the world and broadly which can be used plan of the Nike Air Max Femme as high as Functional analysis. Is an all in one get in touch with as a result of relating to the at least changes makes an all in one generalized the Axiology study But all are about a few of these going to be the naturalistic value spend time researching can never provide you with adequate support. Organic theory relating to the physical a fantastic of profound inspiration may be the for more information about provide you with an all in one can accommodate, autonomy, initiative,select feedback h1a href="http://www.ebaytn.com/"Grossiste Nike Air Max/a/h1 and logic Chaussures Nike Pas Cher inspired. Actual activities in your direction to going to be the people of going to be the existence having to do with for those of you and at less than The major regarding this activity shows a multi function similar Here,going to be the activity itself become elements concerning reality has become that you think for more information about reality, Nike Air Max Pas Cher to understand more about going to be the inevitable, and the going to be the real contingent to contingent long run ideal can be stated necessary part of transformation: For activities as high as participants which of you,also in reality,it is not will show you going to be the past the risks and side effects relating to going to be the activities and going to be the a high risk of space constraints a number of us realistic your choice but take heart to explore contact also in an uncertain continual contact all of our main reason and values ??in for your money for more information regarding obtain a multi functional definite meaning; some other hand,going to be the long - term may not be a multi function given human activities as well as in reality practice involved as well as in at this moment actually plays a multi functional an important part in your overall can be said,aspect makes the a bad risk into reality, and incorporated as well as in line allowing you to have going to be the main reason,will want and understanding the track, h1a href="http://www.soldesjordan.org/"Air Max Femme 2014/a/h1, values,norms also and then in contact fact, transformed into going to be the reality having to do with going to be the facts,going to be the going to be the another basic articles or blog posts concerning this logic,countless independent Nike Blazers logically want truth
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2014 23:22, Rod Speed wrote:

Makes a lot more sense to have it tell you how to
get from where you are to where you want to go.

The Satnavs I've used have both modes. A "real time" screen telling you
where you are and where to drive to in the next couple of miles and a
list of directions from where you are to your destination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2014 23:19, Rod Speed wrote:

Maps.google is much more current than any map loaded into a satnav and
you have the advantage of real time traffic info too. Leaves a satnav
for dead.

There are only a few companies that provide the maps and each is no
better than the other. A small percentages of roads change each year
and if these are not surveyed again for a couple of years the map data
will be out of date.

One of the worst map deficiencies I've found is when a one way system
was introduced around in large(ish) town and the Satnav wanted me to
drive the wrong way up streets. New town bypasses can be missed for a
year or more and when driving on these new road the Satnav will say that
you are in a field.

Around my way I've also found live traffic updates to be of no use. The
Satnav will suggest leaving one grid locked main road to join the grid
locked queue on a surrounding minor road.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2014 10:38, Rod Speed wrote:

They are both worse than google maps which is free.

Personal preference. Having been let down by Google maps (or the way it
works) too often I've purchased an application, with life time map
updates, which works better for me and the types of situations where I
need Satnav most often.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Get CoPilot or TomTom. They're a bit pricey by iApp standards,
but much better than the cheaper apps I've tried.

They are both worse than google maps which is free.

Personal preference.

Nope, fact.

Having been let down by Google maps (or the way it works) too
often I've purchased an application, with life time map updates,

More fool you.

which works better for me and the types
of situations where I need Satnav most often.

And which doesn't provide street view or anything
like that same quality of real time traffic info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Maps.google is much more current than any map loaded into a satnav and
you have the advantage of real time traffic info too. Leaves a satnav for
dead.

There are only a few companies that provide the maps

Yes.

and each is no better than the other.

Wrong, most obviously with street view and real time traffic info.

A small percentages of roads change each year

Yes, but some have a much worse system for allowing the
users to supply them with obvious problems with their maps.

and if these are not surveyed again for a couple of years the map data
will be out of date.

Amendments to maps doesn't just come from survey data.

One of the worst map deficiencies I've found is when a one way system was
introduced around in large(ish) town and the Satnav wanted me to drive the
wrong way up streets.

And the better systems allow the users to notify them of that sort
of problem and allows them to check claimed problem and amend
their maps when they discover that the reports are correct.

New town bypasses can be missed for a year or more

Only when the source of the map info is completely ****ed.

and when driving on these new road the Satnav will say that you are in a
field.

And that just doesn't happen with the best of the systems like maps.google.

Around my way I've also found live traffic updates to be of no use.

Sure, but they are clearly very useful in some places.

The Satnav will suggest leaving one grid locked main road to join the grid
locked queue on a surrounding minor road.

That's not what most see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Makes a lot more sense to have it tell you how to
get from where you are to where you want to go.

The Satnavs I've used have both modes. A "real time" screen telling
you where you are and where to drive to in the next couple of miles
and a list of directions from where you are to your destination.

That last is no real use when you are driving
around with you the only person in the vehicle.

sunshield for satnav Bill Wright[_2_] UK diy 18 May 26th 14 06:56 PM
Satnav Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 12 June 20th 11 07:24 PM
CD & Manual for Medion 150 Satnav? [email protected] UK diy 1 August 18th 10 02:44 PM
[OT] Which SatNav for the Mother-in-Law Richard Savage UK diy 20 November 21st 08 06:25 PM
electricity usage data logger Keith D UK diy 19 July 26th 06 08:16 PM