Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default TOT Efficient (Data Usage) Satnav App for IOS

RJH wrote
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And while it does use data, it would take a hell of a long time
to pay the outrageous cost of the tomtom app on the iphone.
I normally get each navigation for just 5c quite literally, paying
5c/MB for the data, 1M minimum charge.

Have a look at the prices for the in-app bolt-ons. £4 for a Homer voice
;-)

In my experience, many of the Satnav applications that require a mobile
data connection as they start up can be a PITA in rural UK where the
phone coverage may not be too hot. Even some of the Apps where the maps
can pre-downloaded still require a connection back to home to be able to
use them. If only navigating on main highways and built up areas this
may not be a problem.

Quite so, and while the £30 (or so) is quite a hit,

It's a completely silly price.

I've found it worthwhile.

Unlikely to be for many. You don't need to have a mobile
phone service for the entire trip, JUST when you start the
navigation. It will carry on fine once the navigation has
started and the mobile service drops out for a while.

You arent likely to be starting a nav outside mobile
coverage very often and you would normally be able
to just wait till you get into mobile coverage again
before starting a new nav in the unusual situation
where that happens.