Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT Efficient (Data Usage) Satnav App for IOS

On 23/07/2014 13:46, wrote:
Hi All,

I may be doing a fiar bit of driving in unfamiliar territory soon and could do with using the iphone (4) as a satnav on occasion. Is there a free or cheap app which is more efficient in terms of data usage than the standard offering from Apple (Which I presume downloads maps as you use them, if I could use an app where preload Surrey maps and it then just had to work out where it was and where it was going, I presume that would use less data (i'm a long way off "All you can eat").

TIA

Try playing with the satnavs in PC World, and find out whose interface
you prefer. Most of them do a few versions that will work on most makes
of mobile phones including Apples, and as the maps are all preloaded,
they use no data while you're travelling, unless you've got traffic
warnings enabled.

Or try the Apple equivalent of Google Maps, I only use about 3 to 5
megabytes of data per day using GM on Android on a big screen, and a lot
of that's the traffic information.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.