Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT Efficient (Data Usage) Satnav App for IOS

wrote:

I may be doing a fiar bit of driving in unfamiliar territory soon and
could do with using the iphone (4) as a satnav on occasion. Is there
a free or cheap app which is more efficient in terms of data usage
than the standard offering from Apple (Which I presume downloads maps
as you use them, if I could use an app where preload Surrey maps and
it then just had to work out where it was and where it was going

Google Maps on Android will let you cache quite a large map area over
WiFi (e.g. the rough rectangle that includes Watford, Brentwood,
Dartford & Hounslow) maybe the iThing version of Google Maps lets you do
the same?

Beware that it purges unused maps after 30 days.