Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beyond the Multimaster

I have just finished completely renovating a two-bedroomed flat. No alone,
but supervising and a lot of finishing work.
I had expected to find my Fein Multimaster the greatest help in this task
but I am disappointed: so often another tool did it better (jigsaw, delta
sander, Dremel-clone, . . .).
Especially this last was a revelation.
But what you REALLY need is a beefed-up version of the Dremel that could
take 6mm (1/4") accessories. So often it was necessary to shave off 1 to 2
mm to make something (like a door) fit. A 6mm "Dremel" with a router bit
and a simple fence is the answer, I think.
Google "suggested" a die grinder, an edge trimmer like the Trend T4, or a
RotoZip (available in Europe? Now, like Dremel, in the Bosch family).

What is the experience/advice of other uk-diy'ers ?

---
Dit e-mailbericht bevat geen virussen en malware omdat avast! Antivirus-bescherming actief is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rob Simpson wrote:
I have just finished completely renovating a two-bedroomed flat. No alone,
but supervising and a lot of finishing work.
I had expected to find my Fein Multimaster the greatest help in this task
but I am disappointed: so often another tool did it better (jigsaw, delta
sander, Dremel-clone, . . .).
Especially this last was a revelation.
But what you REALLY need is a beefed-up version of the Dremel that could
take 6mm (1/4") accessories. So often it was necessary to shave off 1 to 2
mm to make something (like a door) fit. A 6mm "Dremel" with a router bit
and a simple fence is the answer, I think.
Google "suggested" a die grinder, an edge trimmer like the Trend T4, or a
RotoZip (available in Europe? Now, like Dremel, in the Bosch family).

What is the experience/advice of other uk-diy'ers ?

Dremel actually make a small router, but it's not in B&Q etc. I discovered
it after buying a similar device from Lidl which uses the same bits. A
PITA to buy in the UK.

--
*Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A plane?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
A plane?

Jim K

Exactly, faffing about with the latest geehaw is not always best, the
old way is mostly best.
Although I just have to have the latest toy in my collection.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 16:06, Rob Simpson wrote:

I have just finished completely renovating a two-bedroomed flat. No
alone, but supervising and a lot of finishing work.
I had expected to find my Fein Multimaster the greatest help in this
task but I am disappointed: so often another tool did it better (jigsaw,
delta sander, Dremel-clone, . . .).

With the exception of delta sanding (where the MM wipes the floor with
any other delta sander I have tried), the MM is not really supposed to
be a replacement for the other tools you list. It really comes into its
own on jobs they can't do.

Especially this last was a revelation.

But what you REALLY need is a beefed-up version of the Dremel that could
take 6mm (1/4") accessories. So often it was necessary to shave off 1
to 2 mm to make something (like a door) fit. A 6mm "Dremel" with a
router bit and a simple fence is the answer, I think.
Google "suggested" a die grinder, an edge trimmer like the Trend T4, or
a RotoZip (available in Europe? Now, like Dremel, in the Bosch family).

A dremel *is* a die grinder - although a relatively small one. There are
electric and pneumatic versions in a variety of sizes.

You can also get a router base for it for small routing jobs.

What is the experience/advice of other uk-diy'ers ?

For shaving small amounts of the side of things, don't dismiss the
humble plane... a small block plane is invaluable for all sorts of
fettling.

You may find for other trim tasks, a small trim router is exactly what
you need. Something like the Bosch GOF600 can be used single handed, and
is ideal for edge work (it even has special offset bases for the task,
that make it much easier to balance on an edge)

--
Cheers,

John.