Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beyond the Multimaster ?

I have just finished completely renovating a two-bedroomed flat. No alone,
but supervising and a lot of finishing work.
I had expected to find my Fein Multimaster the greatest help in this task
but I am disappointed:
so often another tool did it better (jigsaw, delta sander, Dremel-clone, . .
..).
Especially this last was a revelation.
But what you REALLY need is a beefed up version of the Dremel that could
take 6mm (1/4") accessories.
So often it was necessary to shave off 1 to 2 mm to make something (like a
door) fit.
A 6mm "Dremel" with a router bit and a simple fence is the answer, I think.
Google "suggested" a die grinder(!), an edge trimmer like the Trend T4, or a
RotoZip
(available in Europe? now - like Dremel - in the Bosch family).

What is the experience/advice of other uk-diy'ers ?
Rob

---
Dit e-mailbericht bevat geen virussen en malware omdat avast! Antivirus-bescherming actief is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2014 8:19 AM, Rob Simpson wrote:

So often it was necessary to shave off 1 to 2 mm to make something (like
a door) fit.
A 6mm "Dremel" with a router bit and a simple fence is the answer, I think.
Google "suggested" a die grinder(!), an edge trimmer like the Trend T4,
or a RotoZip
(available in Europe? now - like Dremel - in the Bosch family).

Hand Plane.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 01 May 2014 08:34:19 -0500, Swingman wrote:
(available in Europe? now - like Dremel - in the Bosch family).

Hand Plane.

I was going to suggest a Festool electric plane. An HL850 would do
nicely. It even has an accessory to convert it into a bench mounted
planer.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/1/2014 8:34 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/1/2014 8:19 AM, Rob Simpson wrote:

So often it was necessary to shave off 1 to 2 mm to make something (like
a door) fit.
A 6mm "Dremel" with a router bit and a simple fence is the answer, I
think.
Google "suggested" a die grinder(!), an edge trimmer like the Trend T4,
or a RotoZip
(available in Europe? now - like Dremel - in the Bosch family).

Hand Plane.

+23

I've never owned (nor missed owning) either w/ one exception--the
multi-master works well for trimming the ends of plaster lath to the
center of studs prior to repair when have to open old plaster walls for
access. Other than that, I've never found a need in 55+ yr of ww'ing
and/or restoration/building.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:59:18 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
Other than that, I've never found a need in 55+ yr of ww'ing
and/or restoration/building.

Bought a knock off a few years ago and had I known what it would do, I would have bought the Fein and happily paid a few hundred for it.

On the last kitchen:
- Profoundly unlevel floor, leveled the base units with app. 100 wedges, some as thick as 1/4" so that I could get the tops string line perfect. Cut all wedges under the toe kick with the buzzer after leveling

- Old, fragile pluming under the sink that looked like it would fall off if touched. Disconnected the supply lines and cut a 6" square around them at the wall (intact) and pulled cabs out for demo. Easy for the plumber to get to replace cutoffs and replace galv. wall pipes with no leaking pipes during the process. NO doubt the pipes would have broken in the wall during demo causing panic by me as plumber wasn't scheduled for a week

- Customer decided on disposal after cab install. Plunge cut into the back of cabinet and into the sheet rock for electrical box (this in OLD house)with buzzer and had very minimal dust, plus perfect hole

- Back door had the trims and half the jamb "tiled in" many years after original install. Instead of working the old trim out and taking a chance on breaking tiles, I flush cut them with the buzzer and put the new jamb and trims on top of the flush cut nubs. NO tile damage, crack (1/16")filled with caulk

- I hang doors the way they did 50 years ago or more. I take the trim off both sides of a door kit, cut some 12" wedges in various widths and dial on the fit until it meets my specs. A tiny tap on this wedge, and offsetting tap on another, and you can fit them perfectly. Problem: LOTS of wedges. SOLUTION: Shoot them in to secure them and cut off everything that sticks past the jamb with the buzzer

- New cabinets 24" longer than the old set. Measured off the correct length, and cut the base/shoe molding straight for flush fit to new cabs to appear as original installation

- Cut through a bizarre, not from this planet framing detail over the range to install the vent a hood exhaust. It looked like they were getting paid by the block of wood when it was framed, and the area was so cramped no other tool would fit in there to cut the extraneous crap away to get the 8" line in. The buzzer was perfect

- Installed a new, large refrigerator on the old location. But the cheap *******s that put in the tile didn't tile to the wall, but left the back side with exposed and broken asbestos tile the width by 3". Asbestos chipped off OK, but tile man wasn't happy with the old asphalt adhesive fouling the new adhesive. The smooth scraper mounted at about 20 degrees melted it up and off. Ruined the blade, but got the job done and the tile man was happy

- used (read: sacrificed!)a blade and cut out bad tiles in the bath for quickie repair to reset and regrout. It was the bi metal blade, so it was toast after cutting though the grout lines. That old grout is much harder than the chalky stuff we use today in bathrooms

- lent it to the homeowner so he could finish the long promised laminate floor installation by using it to cut under the jambs and trims so he could slide the laminate underneath it

- cut in three gang box in dining room paneling. Using the buzzer was really fast and didn't make much more dust than hand sawing. It was fast enough I had my helper hold the shop vac nozzle right next to the cut for just a few minutes until I finished

There's more, that's just what comes immediately to mind on that kitchen. Years ago a fella named Rob told me to quit being so cheap and just buy one and the things I used it for would just astound me. If I had only listened then...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 May 2014 00:04:53 -0700 (PDT), "
There's more, that's just what comes immediately to mind on that kitchen. Years ago a fella named Rob told me to quit being so cheap and just buy one and the things I used it for would just astound me. If I had only listened then...

I got the same revelation out of the Festool Domino. Leon filled me in
on all the details of it. And, I didn't even go to 'Festool day'.
Other than watching a few Youtube videos and Leon whispering in my
ear, I bought it blind. And damn, if it wasn't the most accurate, time
saving tool I've ever used ~ A virtual revelation.

Yup, my wallet cried all the way home, but it was worth it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote
Bought a knock off a few years ago and had I known what it would do, I
would have bought the Fein and happily paid a few hundred for it.

snip...
There's more, that's just what comes immediately to mind on that kitchen.
Years ago a fella named Rob told me to quit being so cheap and just buy
one and the things I used it for would just astound me. If I had only
listened then...

Robert

Another masterful post from Robert.

I know that the cheap knockoff you are referring to is the Harbor Freight
version. I was at a Harbor Freight store a couple days ago. It opened
close to me. And they had a huge display of the "multi function" tool. An
employee was stocking the display. I asked him how well it sold. He says
he has to restock the display weekly. Somebody is buying them. And they
had a big display of the various blades too.

Half serious, half joking. Robert, you sure go through a lot of blades!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 8:29 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

[...]

Probably the biggest drawback to the Multimaster was the patent
protection. Blades are absolutely a relatively short lived consumable
item. For the pro this is built into the cost of the job. For the
hobbyist this is a major expense.

Once that patent came to an end you saw numerous copies and the price of
the Fein blades dropped to about 1/3 of their original cost.

I recall a typical blade costing at least $35 and a 3 pack costing about
$95. The price of these things and their life spans made a WWII blade
looks like something you would find at HF.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 9:56 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I always wonder if it makes sense to soak the users on price. When you
look at it, wouldn't it be better to half the price, and get 3-4 times
as many customers?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 8:59 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/2/2014 9:56 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/2/2014 8:29 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

[snip]

Once that patent came to an end you saw numerous copies and the price of
the Fein blades dropped to about 1/3 of their original cost.

I recall a typical blade costing at least $35 and a 3 pack costing about
$95. The price of these things and their life spans made a WWII blade
looks like something you would find at HF.

I always wonder if it makes sense to soak the users on price. When you
look at it, wouldn't it be better to half the price, and get 3-4 times
as many customers?

LOL! Tell that to Gillette... or Schickg

Actually, you can find some decent deals on blades if you keep your eyes
open. Menard's was selling their own brand (interchangeable with Bosch,
et al) and I got a pretty decent selection and quantity for cheap.

Are they the best blades available? Not by a long shot, but I do have a
decent array of blades that I can genuinely consider "one job
consumables" and when I hit a nail or whatever, it don't give me any
heartburng

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 9:56 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I'm sure the tool/s were probable even more expensive than they were 6~7
years ago.
I'm sure they were quite comfortable with profit and volume. Increased
volume might have cost more than they were willing to give up.
I'm sure it probably fit with in a business model for a patent protected
item.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

I know that the cheap knockoff you are referring to is the Harbor
Freight version. I was at a Harbor Freight store a couple days ago. It
opened close to me. And they had a huge display of the "multi
function" tool. An employee was stocking the display. I asked him
how well it sold. He says he has to restock the display weekly. Somebody
is buying them. And they had a big display of the various
blades too.

My son bought me one of the Harbor Freight multi tools. I can't say that
I've really put it to any real abusive use but what I have done with it -
which closely resembles the kind of work that Robert detailed, has caused me
to be very satisfied with it. I guess the first generation of this tool had
some problems properly holding the blades, but that seems to be rectified
now. Some say other brands vibrate less, but for as long as I use this on
any particular task, vibration has not been a problem for me. I'd buy one
and ship it to Leon, but I'd have to paint the damned thing green first, and
I get paid really well when I bring out my paint gear - and Leon is really
cheap...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

I always wonder if it makes sense to soak the users on price. When you
look at it, wouldn't it be better to half the price, and get 3-4 times
as many customers?

As the Moody Blues said - it's a Question Of Balance...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 3:08 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

[...]

I already have the "orange" one and bought it before the patent ran out.
;~( It has paid for it self however.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Rob Simpson wrote:
...snipped...
But what you REALLY need is a beefed up version of the Dremel that could
take 6mm (1/4") accessories.
So often it was necessary to shave off 1 to 2 mm to make something (like a
door) fit.
A 6mm "Dremel" with a router bit and a simple fence is the answer, I think.
Google "suggested" a die grinder(!), an edge trimmer like the Trend T4, or a
RotoZip
(available in Europe? now - like Dremel - in the Bosch family).

What is the experience/advice of other uk-diy'ers ?
Rob

I use this more for metalworking, not too much for woodworking, but for
those times when a coompressor is not convenient, I've found it very handy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electri...aft-44141.html

Yes, it is from HF and may not be suitable for professional or high-volume
use, but for heavy-duty work i would bring along an air compressor
and use a pneumatic die grinder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

- I hang doors the way they did 50 years ago or more. I take the trim off
both sides of a door kit, cut some 12" wedges in various widths and dial
on the fit until it meets my specs. A tiny tap on this wedge, and
offsetting tap on another, and you can fit them perfectly. Problem: LOTS
of wedges. SOLUTION: Shoot them in to secure them and cut off everything
that sticks past the jamb with the buzzer

I know, right? The split jam pre hung units are so poorly executed, my
second year carpentry students could do much better.

I have gone to buying solid jam stock, and completely mortising and hanging
a slab, and applying stop and casing. I can't live with the quality any
other way.
--
Jim in NC

---

HF Multimaster TD Driver[_3_] Woodworking 51 October 25th 09 12:35 PM
MultiMaster Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 15 May 7th 08 07:10 PM
Multimaster Copy? The Medway Handyman UK diy 82 August 9th 07 08:10 PM
fein multimaster Renata Woodworking 14 September 21st 06 08:06 PM
Fein Multimaster [email protected] UK diy 34 November 4th 05 04:34 AM